Would anyone slit their wrists if sniper shots were made visible? - Page 3

Would anyone slit their wrists if sniper shots were made visible?

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Would anyone slit their wrists if sniper shots were made visible?

Post by PicassoCT »

Opposum day: What could forb do, that the crowd could agree at?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

The last post contradicts itself in at least 2 ways. It's perfectly appropriate to sum up the attitudes generally expressed.
RageQuitV

Post by RageQuitV »

While the sudden and unexplained vanishing of units is could defenitely be viewed as an issue, the developers should be careful not to harm the function of the sniper, if any changes are to be made. If the projectile of the sniper becomes visible, then the intended stealth function of the unit could be severely disrupted if not lost altogether. I propose that the impact of the sniper weapon should cause a more visible effect on the unit that it hits. However, this effect should not indicate the location of the sniper to the player due to the aforementioned reason of preserving unit functionality and diversity of gameplay.
gajop

Post by gajop »

That's reasonable. What if the bullet was made visible shortly before the impact? So you would have a hard time judging exactly where it came from, but you'd still be able to see that it was a bullet.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

What if the bullet was made visible shortly before the impact?
Visually yes, but I think it would make it possible to write a widget that pretty much told you where they were. That said, once you notice the units vanishing and you watch for a few seconds, it's not difficult to guess based on radar dots and/or a circular area in which radar dots are missing.

Imo the sound approach is the best one, its not hard to make sure the sound is played for those with volume>0, but making good sounds is not easy. Visual signal on hit unit (maybe a small but distinct CEG, that does not give away direction) seems a reasonable alternative.

But I don't see the need for attention to this. Yes, its a small noobtrap that might take a couple of games to figure out - but having units vanishing as the only clue is a very fun mechanic. You can have either both or neither. In a game that doesn't have a singleplayer mode/tutorial, and in which players make essentially no complaints about snipers, caring for this is equivalent to complaining about a mild rainstorm while your house is on fire.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

In a 2D rts game you could add a dangerzone - Visualization

Attachments
DangerZoneVisualizer.jpg
DangerZoneVisualizer.jpg (71.51 KiB) Viewed 7811 times
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Slightly unrelated, but this discussion gave me an interesting idea for a Targeting Facility buff: what if it also showed you which of your units are currently being targeted by enemy units and gave you a rough position of those units? Could be limited distance, but also reveal approximate positions of units in the fog of war.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

foggy hottnes inbound?

Question: If you have a "foggy fog of war" shader on the fog of war- would it be possible to fuck with human pattern searching algos?
Unitshapes made from fog, forming for a short period?

Yes, fucking with the players is my sexlife. Deal with it.
8611z

Post by 8611z »

I think BA's time might end once current stable 9.46 or spring version stop working.
So when that moment comes, let the new developers have the "Balanced Annhilation" name and move* on to the other mod, that might be BA inspirit and not in name only.
Changes will come anyway but at least it when you complain it will be to people who actually play the game.
Here is another thought (that I haven't really put any thought into fleshing out)
[...]
Put some thought into the ramifications of that before answering.
where is springquotes when you need it :?

* unless suddendly a "BA-only" lobby appears that locks all players into playing only that one mod :lol:
RageQuitV

Post by RageQuitV »

PicassoCT wrote:foggy hottnes inbound?

Question: If you have a "foggy fog of war" shader on the fog of war- would it be possible to fuck with human pattern searching algos?
Unitshapes made from fog, forming for a short period?
BA has quite many graphical gadgets and widgets applied to units. Nobody will confuse a cool looking foggy unitmodel with a gleaming blob of teamcolor x.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

[quote="8611z"]whatever/quote]

Knorke, have a look at this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9WMNuyjm4w
The Question i have is thus.. could the tanks be modified, so that you could set your tanks into a damage amplify mode, that propagates along chained tanks, and even could be set on enemy units, allowing for add hoc alliances?

Instant drama.
qray

Post by qray »

Forboding Angel wrote:Here is another thought (that I haven't really put any thought into fleshing out)... Would any object to the sniper also having it's own unit icon? If you've never had los on the unit then it will still show up as an unknown radar dot, but if it had entered los, on radar it would appear as the sniper unit icon. Put some thought into the ramifications of that before answering.
Actually that sounds like a nice idea that could work. Only argument against it could be that with a bunch of Snipers coming it could get a bit jammed with special icons... but this one would have to test ingame.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Allow a sniper to create one stationary double for every kill.

Oh you bawlers.. you dont now how hard your game would change if i ever got to lay out the rules. I would set you up- on each others throat like a pack of mad dogs. It would be a merciless butchering of the highest order.

Actually it sort of is already...
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

No visible sniper shots, please. Can imagine more visible sniper shot impact or more audible sniper shot sound though.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

klapmongool wrote:No visible sniper shots, please. Can imagine more visible sniper shot impact or more audible sniper shot sound though.
too late. He did it already :-D
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I suggest looking in the alpha host for yourself. It is visible, but it is the terribly obvious either. If you weren't watching it would be easy enough to miss, but at least there is some visual feedback when your base randomly starts exploding.

Fwiw, ppl should stop treating commits as though they are final. Any project goes through various changes and in order to test multiplayer, something has to be committed so the alpha server will see it.

There as been a lot of silly angst from people who apparently don't understand how versioning works.

If you really want to help out, you should all be joining and playing on the alpha host as much as possible. More testing = better end result.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

jamerlan wrote:
klapmongool wrote:No visible sniper shots, please. Can imagine more visible sniper shot impact or more audible sniper shot sound though.
too late. He did it already :-D
Doesn't sound like it is too late. Please consider what I said above, FA.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Forboding Angel wrote: It is visible, but it is the terribly obvious either. If you weren't watching it would be easy enough to miss, but at least there is some visual feedback when your base randomly starts exploding.
Perhaps you should go look at it in the alpha test host. Additionally, by your comment, you didn't read the thread, because we covered that at length already.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Is it just me, or are sniper shots visible on the minimap even in BA 9.46?! I was playing it last night, and I started to see it happening…
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Lol, its ingame? But im still against it, on principle. Leave Britney alone, Forb!

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”