Role of *A content (split from "Future of BAR?") - Page 2

Role of *A content (split from "Future of BAR?")

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Role of *A content (split from "Future of BAR?")

Post by Forboding Angel »

gajop wrote: Art (models, textures, etc.) might not be open sourced, but it probably already isn't in a number of other projects, including some of the main ones (e.g. ZK, Evo).
Evo is entirely freely licensed, cc by sa for art. I should use cc0 tbh, cause I don't care, to be quite frank.

Old tech holding the engine back isn't really that valid of an argument anymore. Thanks to Floris and myself, BA has gotten a violent shove into modern times and is a drastically better game in every way.

Realistically, not a lot can be done about the models, assuming that BAR's anus remains firmly clenched and a lot of the unit scripts leave a lot to be desired, but pretty much every other part of it has absolutely been modernized (except the armour class system which uses spring's awful default system, but most of you would likely consider that to be "modern").
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I actually hate the word modern by now- its used by people who want to shove hyped tech into other peoples projects, while avoiding any serious discussion on benefits and contras.

You may keep modern. I m with old fashioned profiled, well discussed hotch-potch.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:Evo is entirely freely licensed, cc by sa for art. I should use cc0 tbh, cause I don't care, to be quite frank.
Then you need to fix https://springrts.com/wiki/Games as it says Evo is CC-BY-NC-ND.
smoth

Post by smoth »

You can always create an art dependency that is closed source and do the actual source as licensed. Most of *my* source is PD and CC
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

dedicated forum for BAR? (split)

Silentwings wrote:...massive infringing use of its content by multiple communities...
Real question here, what other communities use OTA content? There was TA3D, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Moved from viewtopic.php?f=44&t=35784 (Silentwings)
Silentwings

Re: dedicated forum for BAR? (split)

Post by Silentwings »

Seems not related to whether BAR has its own forum or not - so moved to here, but http://www.tauniverse.com/hosted-sites/ provides an incomplete list, with varying degrees of reliance on OTA content/branding/modifications and, after almost 20 years of not one receiving a single C&D, several now inactive.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Those are mods of OTA, the original game, that is in no way comparable to ripping assets from one engine and using those assets on another.

That would be the same as ripping the assets out of Half Life, Putting them in Unreal Engine, calling it Shorter Life and then comparing Shorter Life's legal status to Left 4 Dead.

Your comparison doesn't hold water. Fuck me, it isn't even a container.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Best of luck working on BA then ;)

If I thought that, I wouldn't have done it.
smoth

Re: dedicated forum for BAR? (split)

Post by smoth »

Silentwings wrote:Seems not related to whether BAR has its own forum or not - so moved to here, but http://www.tauniverse.com/hosted-sites/ provides an incomplete list, with varying degrees of reliance on OTA content/branding/modifications and, after almost 20 years of not one receiving a single C&D, several now inactive.
These are mods to Total Annihiliation though. At which point they are a loaded by total annihilation, TA's HPI file is the parent project.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”