Playing the t1 game & Being useful with not much

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

So I have no idea how to do either really. Forget my 20 ts, it's touch and go whether I actually do something useful in a game. Common dillemas are:
  • Not knowing how to combat an enemy's t1 army effectively(in all situations apart from ak v.s. peewees)
  • Not knowing when I should take on an enemy's defences
  • Not knowing when I should go t2
  • Case where I have 2 fusions and everyone on my team has afuses. Should I tech, or (thinking dsd) what is something I could build that wouldn't just get mown over?(think north dsd particularly)
Until my playing improves I'll call myself 'MrUseless'. Don't rely on me to help and feel free to give any (constructive) advice in game. :D
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Re: Playing the t1 game & Being useful with not much

Post by jamerlan »

You can join 1v1 battlerooms and play some 1v1 games. They will teach you how to use t1 effectively.
Watch replays when you loose. Try to understand: what you could do better.

Usually in team games people are analyzing situations, taking risks. Do not play too safe.
MasterBel2

Re: Playing the t1 game & Being useful with not much

Post by MasterBel2 »

Ok, So I've watched a couple replays, played a bit more, haven't found a 1v1 opponent yet but have played some smaller games (and some larger games) and this is what I've learned/reinforced:
Ignore the base: take out their front line. As in, if they've got a stronghold far forward, it IS worth taking out (this assumption feels wrong, but I'm going with it for now, until someone tells me otherwise)
Stumpies/raiders are easily taken out by cheaper units, but good at combatting levellers/janus/samson/slasher/static defence/bases :D
Thud/hammer are prettey much useless in most scenarios, apart from taking out storm/rokko (hammer especially useless. Why is this?)
Instigators are so SLOW but cream everything (apart from defence) (so they can't like be everyhere like flash can. Also useless against jeffy)
Levellers take on anyone not prepared for them. But then so does everything else. New favorite unit for t1. They can take on sooo many flash (with commander support)
AK cream Pw. Best combatant against them apart from levellers and ak combo :D
Pw are useless against someone who knows how to use core (unless in large enough amounts.) (Any advice on pinning units in a corner or something so you can get your pw among them easily?)
I need way more constructors in the right place at the right time. I typically have plenty, but frequently in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So can people comment on my resolutions above? Much thanks.

And then I come to this game: http://replays.springrts.com/replay/621 ... c5d77ea91/

I'm yet to watch the replay, but there are somethings I know I cannot answer from the replay: (would help if you guys did)
(ingame I did learn that an ak spam would have combatted said opponent)
Don't remember who it was, but I was with Belmakor against pink. I shared Belmakor some mexes so he could push, went kbots, and started building thud. Waaaay too long to get to the front line. So I went air, and did a brief bladewing spam, which earned Belmakor his commander metal (which was destroyed because he had no support) And then I went ak spam when it was clear all pink was building was peewees.

We won this game no wonder how useless I was :D. I like to think I helped, but I really didn't. BelSon by himself could have saved Belmakor.

So the dillema: I knew veh would help him (esp. levellers) and I knew if the enemy porced my ak would be useless. Would it have been worth starting ak and doing a spam? Or could I have walked down the hill to where I could build a veh lab that could build stuff that could reach the front line?
How should I have capped the mexes above me (for those who kindly watched replay/played in the game on my team)

Are there any more things I'm missing? And thanks for your time, even if you don't go and watch the replay. It's only for those who have time on their hands :D

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”