berta range-extender

berta range-extender

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Post Reply
User avatar
albator
Posts: 866
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 14:20

berta range-extender

Post by albator »

Plasma bouncing on a shield will result in shoot being redirected.

A skilled player will use that bounced to extend the range of the berta and shoot a target beyond its initial range.

Not that I don't think that is fun, but in a game the most successful strategy to win consist to eco, porc and make buzz/berta, encouraging this bouncing behavior is straightening that successful strategy to win and discourage even more player to make unit. So I believe it should be prevented.


Possible solution could be ? (no idea if any of those are doable)

1) Give the plasma projectile zero velocity when it hit the shield the 1st time (it will still harm what is under it) ?
2) Give the plasma projectile zero damage ?
3) make the projectile disappear ?
User avatar
albator
Posts: 866
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 14:20

Re: berta range-extender

Post by albator »

Thanks

This hould do the job

Code: Select all

bool repulser Default: false  
Does the shield repulse (deflect) projectiles or absorb them? Btw its not repulsOr, but repulsEr!
8611z
Posts: 169
Joined: 08 Jul 2015, 20:20

Re: berta range-extender

Post by 8611z »

Is it really exploitable beside random stray shots? Example DSD, can one reliably extand bertha range to reach enemy base area?
projectiles getting repulsed is much more fun than just getting absorded/exploding!
User avatar
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer
Posts: 7032
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 13:08

Re: berta range-extender

Post by zwzsg »

Obligatory
User avatar
REVENGE
Posts: 2381
Joined: 24 Aug 2006, 06:13

Re: berta range-extender

Post by REVENGE »

Didn't we go from "repulser" true to false to true again in the course of AA/BA development? IIRC, people didn't like the change when the non "repulser" shield was first implemented in the engine.
User avatar
albator
Posts: 866
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 14:20

Re: berta range-extender

Post by albator »

In that thread, all the people playing actually agree.

@8611z: if you are an actual player, please link you account on the replay website so we can see you don't have inactivity points.

Sorry for my rudeness in advanced, but your post suggest your player experience comes from DSD-thread on that forum
User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14657
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: berta range-extender

Post by Forboding Angel »

8611z is Knorke.
klapmongool
Posts: 843
Joined: 13 Aug 2007, 13:19

Re: berta range-extender

Post by klapmongool »

8611z wrote:Is it really exploitable beside random stray shots? Example DSD, can one reliably extand bertha range to reach enemy base area?
projectiles getting repulsed is much more fun than just getting absorded/exploding!
Exactly.
8611z
Posts: 169
Joined: 08 Jul 2015, 20:20

Re: berta range-extender

Post by 8611z »

albator wrote:@8611z: if you are an actual player, please link you account on the replay website so we can see you don't have inactivity points.

Sorry for my rudeness in advanced, but your post suggest your player experience comes from DSD-thread on that forum
np.
http://replays.springrts.com/player/1292/ http://replays.springrts.com/player/955250/ http://replays.springrts.com/player/957953/ http://replays.springrts.com/player/970823/
But I dont play much BA anymore, and the type of matches where Berthas&Shields are common I only join when when nothing else to play. So my knowledge about what the techa & eco people at back are doing is limited to looking. I am more T1 geothermalic person and early game is most enjoyable to me...

Can you make replay/screenshot how to use shield as range-expander because when I tried the shots were harmlessly be reflected to random near points?
Forboding Angel wrote:8611z is Knorke.
and who are you?
User avatar
albator
Posts: 866
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 14:20

Re: berta range-extender

Post by albator »

8611z wrote:Can you make replay/screenshot how to use shield as range-expander because when I tried the shots were harmlessly be reflected to random near points?
basically any replay these days...

For example, the first game I play today: http://replays.springrts.com/replay/5dd ... 44ab4ed44/

Have a look at 28'40'' nix even complain about it and ask the shield to be selfD :D

8611z wrote:But I dont play much BA anymore,
my point, you play a few game in January 2015 ... Please stay out of balance thread if you don't play for a year. Anyway, the fact you were not aware of player complaining about it made my point.

klapmongool wrote:
8611z wrote:Is it really exploitable beside random stray shots? Example DSD, can one reliably extand bertha range to reach enemy base area?
projectiles getting repulsed is much more fun than just getting absorded/exploding!
Exactly.
Everyone agree with fun ! Gonna need to quote myself
albator wrote:Not that I don't think that is fun
But that is not the point. I likeed comb a lot and it was much more fun ! You got it ?
8611z
Posts: 169
Joined: 08 Jul 2015, 20:20

Re: berta range-extender

Post by 8611z »

For example, the first game I play today: http://replays.springrts.com/replay/5dd ... 44ab4ed44/

Have a look at 28'40'' nix even complain about it and ask the shield to be selfD :D
You mean this?
Image
[f=0050552] Nix added point: SELF D THE FUCJING PLASMA
[f=0050829] Nix added point: mando wtf
[f=0053143] <Nix> Allies: mando can you fucking self d the shit cunt plasma
.A tear shed for the brave windmills. But they were nothing that shaped the match.

I hoped for something epic, like in that age-old video zwzsg posted. I watched the replay twice because I thought I must have missed something, but I still only saw 2 Berthas shooting at that shield for few minutes. Most projectiles reflected totally harmless into air or ground. The Berthas were targeting different places, sometimes at shields, sometimes not, nothing seemed particular skillful or like a trick. Normal berthas doing normal bertha things.
One bullet bounces into a few windmills (where the mouse points) and thats' it. Also not really a "range extender", those winds were in range anyway.
It seems excactly like the "random stray shots" I thought it would be.

Not sure where you get idea of "few games in january", I played throughout whole year, last games few days ago.
The focus on eco/porc/tech/afus happen for many many reasons, reflected bertha shots is imo one supertiny fragment that in freaky situations PERHAPS can cause randomness but in this replay I did not see even that, and mostly bouncing shots are not relevant.
Attachments
bla.jpg
(206.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
User avatar
Jools
XTA Developer
Posts: 2814
Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 16:29

Re: berta range-extender

Post by Jools »

How about applying a force to the deflection, so that the shots deflect away from it at a higher velocity, therefore probably hitting outside screen.
klapmongool
Posts: 843
Joined: 13 Aug 2007, 13:19

Re: berta range-extender

Post by klapmongool »

albator wrote:
klapmongool wrote:
8611z wrote:Is it really exploitable beside random stray shots? Example DSD, can one reliably extand bertha range to reach enemy base area?
projectiles getting repulsed is much more fun than just getting absorded/exploding!
Exactly.
Everyone agree with fun ! Gonna need to quote myself
albator wrote:Not that I don't think that is fun
Yes, I could have been more clear. I was mostly quoting for the part 'is it really exploitable beside random stray shots'. Because it isn't really.

I have been reading posts in the BA sub-forum regularly. There are so many requests for changes for things that don't make sense, by you and by others. Every time I read those I feel BA is going downhill (because some of those proposed changes are implemented).
User avatar
albator
Posts: 866
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 14:20

Re: berta range-extender

Post by albator »

8611z wrote:You mean this?
Yep.

And yes it prove the change of direction in order to hit to a place beyond the place it hit the shield is valid. For range, i am not going to point a replay it can go beyond as you play here since a decade (?). And wind mill could have been MM and game changer, but I don't see the point talking about that. Please do make extrapolation like: it does not happen once it never happen.

If you want more examples, please play and give your ingame account and I will point it out ingame to you. This way your argument of you playing will actually been taken for being true.
8611z
Posts: 169
Joined: 08 Jul 2015, 20:20

Re: berta range-extender

Post by 8611z »

Deflector changes direction of projectile, and sometimes it goes beyond range. Sometimes it even deflects very far, off the map. Nothing new.
But you make it look like as if this was a game-winning strategy that a skillful player can actually use.
If you want more examples,
Well, even one example would be good. The windmills-replay only showed random stray shots without effect, it actually more disproved your point.
I am not interessted in chatting ingame about stuff because it consumes more time than forum. Replays I can watch at speed-up playback, and others can watch them too. Maybe win a few games with this strategy and post them.
Post Reply

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”

cron