Nuclear explosions need moar realism

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

100Gbps

Post by 100Gbps »

At the moment explosion consists of dmg + smoke-based mushroom + shockwave animation.
In fact it should be (in steps/stages):
1. EMP shockwave - disabling units in area
2. Fireball + mushroom - animation
3. Blast shockwave animation + dmg
, in that order

Also usually there is a fallout stage (step #4), where radiation damages area for a given period of time. For example watch the explosion in CnC2: Red Alert. It is possible to simulate a movement (changing position) of the fallout based on wind direction, used for WindGens
Anarchid

Re: Nuclear explosions need moar realism

Post by Anarchid »

the explosion in CnC2: Red Alert
Is a 2-dimensional sprite sequence.

Lol.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

I'd also like the Pyros fire to be longer if it is in wind direction and to cause self-burn if vs the wind :D

But seriously: if the smoke from the mushroom would blow in wind direction and dissolve after a short while there, it'd be super awesome!
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Thats certainly possible.. it just adding impulse.. depending on the closeness to the impact..

But to be honest.. good nukes are hard to make and even harder to come by.. though they defineatly make usps..

Have yet to see a rts promo-vid that doesent end with massdestruction.

Travelling smoke with windirection is more difficult.. for that - you would need cegs spawned again and again after a certain time.. taking winddrift into the equation..

Also propably would all look much better with lups - so may not be worth the effort to fix CEG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtuKO8YRYaU
Broker

Post by Broker »

In Supreme Commander is very good nuke. I think that is better then all another.
GuyNoir

Post by GuyNoir »

Air burst should EMP stuff under it. IGMC. 8)
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Broker wrote:In Supreme Commander is very good nuke. I think that is better then all another.
In my memories, every explosion in Supreme Commander was a blob of whiteness. Very boring.
smoth

Post by smoth »

This is true still Z supcom has pretty boring visuals. All white poofs and stuff
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

hmm... the nuke in supcom looks quite nice... if you tilt the camera

http://youtu.be/iMm4-g6aciU

World in Conflict has the best nuke animation imo:

http://youtu.be/0BSckX-LK2M
100Gbps

Post by 100Gbps »

Anarchid wrote:
the explosion in CnC2: Red Alert
Is a 2-dimensional sprite sequence.

Lol.
Whatever, I just mentioned it as example for fallout stage.

btw ICBM means that we definitely should not see the rocket's flying through the map, cause it's longest flight-stage is (sub)orbital. Also when it is close to the target, it splits up to multiple warheads ... Yeah, this will be too op, but cool to watch :mrgreen:
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

100Gbps wrote: Also when it is close to the target, it splits up to multiple warheads ... Yeah, this will be too op, but cool to watch :mrgreen:
that would be actually a MIRV subclass then...
and op? I dont think so, it would be actually cause less damage when using the same ICBM model, unless of course you increase the warhead size so the MIRV's can be bigger.

And since BA actually consist just of Robots I doubt the efficiency about the radiations
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Also when it is close to the target, it splits up to multiple warheads ... Yeah, this will be too op, but cool to watch
In TibSun NOD actually had a MIRV instead of nukes. Nukes were better.
smoth

Post by smoth »

snipers should also 1 shot everything because IRL snipers insta kill everything! Unit should only travel on roads if they have wheels because off road would mean there will be a chance they flip at random! Tanks should have the range of the entire 24x24 map because IRL tanks can shoot damn near to the horizon! Troops should get lost, become less efficient the longer they are away from base occasionally raiding factories to exchange code with the local conbots FORCIBLY! You should have build time randomly halt when you accidentally kill troops that are NOT the enemy you were originally attacking! Occasionally, if a weapon, say a bomb takes out too many features, the unit will have it's bomb AOE reduced along with it's per shot energy cost tripling to avoid hurting the innocent map features! I also think that occasionally features turn out to be enemy units and they will attack both other features and your support units. Of course your unit will all take the blame so ready up that nerf code!

I don't think that covers it but I suspect it is a good start towards a more realistic game about robots produced by floating light fighting on a giant DUCK
100Gbps

Post by 100Gbps »

Karl wrote:And since BA actually consist just of Robots I doubt the efficiency about the radiations
They have electronics, yes?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

LordMuffe wrote:hmm... the nuke in supcom looks quite nice... if you tilt the camera

http://youtu.be/iMm4-g6aciU

World in Conflict has the best nuke animation imo:

http://youtu.be/0BSckX-LK2M
Compared to SupCom, the nuke shroom of TA Spring can still be pretty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6udIo5SmwWA though, yeah, not as much as the one of WiC.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

100Gbps wrote:
Karl wrote:And since BA actually consist just of Robots I doubt the efficiency about the radiations
They have electronics, yes?
Today MBT's have NBC protection... so in that far future, wouldn't the NBC protection be part of the composite armor by now?
Through I have to admit, we have yet to see a MBT in RL getting hit by near nuclear explosion far-away so that it can survive still survive it that is or being exposed in high-level radiation area
smoth

Post by smoth »

The new m1 is using fiber optics instead of copper lol
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

smoth wrote:I don't think that covers it but I suspect it is a good start towards a more realistic game about robots produced by floating light fighting on a giant DUCK
<3
Floris

Post by Floris »

at least the current nuke fits with he area of effect and other gfx style effects being used. And most important of all, it isnt over-dramatised!

Better looking nuke blast gfx? sure for BAR, not BA.
PJY

Post by PJY »

Let me understand this: it is suggested that there should be "moar realism" in a game about large intelligent warlike fictional robots who, for reasons unclear, are fighting other large intelligent warlike fictional robots, on fictional planets, as played by grown men, some of whom appear to draw phalluses during the gameplay?

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”