Suggestion/Feature request: kudos for teamplay

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

what about +1/-1 for teamplay after games? this way well-playing players would get kudos, trolls would get -1.

implementation should be on the autohost, similar to replays.springrts.com / ranks. could be implemented by:
!kudos <playername> <reason>
!troll <playername> <reason>
not sure where is a good point to show kudos.
gajop

Re: Suggestion/Feature request: kudos for teamplay

Post by gajop »

Careful with the -1. I've seen so many games where people threaten to report/downvote people just because they like to blame teammates (founded or not). I expect noobs would get a lot of "omg -1 $NOOB_GUY", which isn't really going to encourage them to stay/enjoy.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Why is an autohost suggestion in the BA subforum?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Yeah, trolls are more likely to abuse such a technical possibility than good persons. Especially if it's commandline.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

FLOZi wrote:Why is an autohost suggestion in the BA subforum?
because imo this mostly would affect ba teamgames. i don't play other games often, idk for sure.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

gajop wrote:Careful with the -1. I've seen so many games where people threaten to report/downvote people just because they like to blame teammates (founded or not). I expect noobs would get a lot of "omg -1 $NOOB_GUY", which isn't really going to encourage them to stay/enjoy.
thats why the "reason" should be used, so moderators or players can verify it when needed. i know its hard to get some "self-moderation" into it. but trolls are a problem since years, so doing nothing won't solve it. also "expect" is an assumption, we don't know it until it gets used.

maybe a better name would be !like !notlike ?! not sure, has to be tried out.

the idea behind is, to make an account more expensive.
malric

Post by malric »

What about something like a network of trust? For me some of the "+1" are more valuable if they are given by players I like/trust myself.
gajop

Post by gajop »

abma wrote: also "expect" is an assumption, we don't know it until it gets used.
The assumption is based on playing a lot of MOBA-styled games which have communities slightly worse than BA DSD did when I played it.
abma wrote: thats why the "reason" should be used, so moderators or players can verify it when needed.
Usually when people are rude/troll (which is the main reason I report people), I would not want my report to be public, as it would likely only increase further flaming.
abma wrote: the idea behind is, to make an account more expensive.
What's this supposed to do? How is this to prevent people with many -1s to create new accounts? In fact it would only motivate them, wouldn't it?
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

I think the +1 and especially the -1 can (and often do) mean a lot of different things to people. Even heated discussions result because of this I believe, defying the point of it.

Of course people can learn how to use it properly, but speculating about its intended purpose, I'd think it better if the system didn't leave much room for doubt as to what the communicated symbol is supposed to mean exactly.

Perhaps different symbols could be used? i don't know...

edit:
oh mentioned already. didn't catch that right away.
maybe a better name would be !like !notlike ?! not sure, has to be tried out.
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

Good idea, I think performance based, player awards would be embraced by the community.

How about if each +1 contributes an extra hour of gameplay? So you could get your next rank sooner if people commend you etc.
Kapytii

Post by Kapytii »

Stupid people would give minuses for stupid reasons. Those minuses should be given to trolls and common assholes. Dont these accounts register thru some ip or whatever nerd word? Me no know. So a troll with many minuses would make a new account but the minuses would remain? And if you get for example 5 minuses, the host should automatically spec you if someone has tagged the auto-unspec(not that it works), but that way, trlollers would not get to play so much = good thing.
And giving those minuses needs a reason and a replay and a moderator with a brain.
Or like this forum has, some friend/foe list? People can add friends or people they dont like. And people who are on too many peoples foes list would get horrible penalties! If youre disliked by 5 people for a good reason, theres gotta be something wrong with you playing nice :)
xanax

Post by xanax »

Teamplay is secondary in a game with exponential eco and early endgame units (like t2 bombers). This would be better suited for zk, if they wanted to turn it into a popularity contest.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

How about just the +1 and not -1?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Jools wrote:How about just the +1 and not -1?
hm, maybe i should phrased it more general: i'm suggesting a feedback system for players which can/should be used to see if a player is a troll or not before a battle begins. if it is +1 / -1 or !like, or whatever... this has to be tried out, i don't think this can be made without some practical testing. the best wins!

i know, still someone willing to implement it is needed, but as this affects mostly everyone i'm optimistic / i hope that maybe dansan or bibim picks it up ... or someone else?! :)
smoth

Post by smoth »

how do you measure "team play" and how will you prevent people from altering the gameplay to ensure they trigger the code conditional to get the gameplay points? You are talking essentially about inadvertently creating a meta here..
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

smoth wrote:how do you measure "team play" and how will you prevent people from altering the gameplay to ensure they trigger the code conditional to get the gameplay points? You are talking essentially about inadvertently creating a meta here..
ebay-like vote: game/teamplay was good or bad, preventing cheating should be easy, only players can vote. voting wrong is probhited, but this would require administration, too, the +1/-1 points would make things easier, as it should give some trustlevel.

also autohost knows who played in which game, so "votes" or "points" can be only given by players to players.

its very similar to "trueskill" but the points are given by people.

edit: maybe "fairness" would be a better name.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

ebay-like vote: game/teamplay was good or bad
Wesnoth ladder had sportsmanship rating that you could assign to your adversary. That probably doesn't apply to clusterfuck teamgames as preferred in spring games wherever possible, though.
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

I also think a +1/-1 or !like/!dislike system with public counters for each player would be too easily abused by trolls, would generate yet more smurf accounts, and thus would require too much time to be monitored correctly. And showing uncontrolled infos concerning players is worse than showing none imo.

On the other hand I thought about implementing some !report command in SPADS some time ago. It would allow any player to report a player or a bug (and maybe other things?) in real time from current game. The command would take all relevant info automatically (current time in game, current gameId, mod name, engine version, account/name of the reporter etc.) to generate a private report with a link to the corresponding replay on the replay site. Players abusing this command could be easily detected and ignored (using smurf detection from SLDB). Using this command could even require a minimum lobby rank if it's really a problem.

The command usage would be: !report <reportType> <description>
<reportType> could be "player" or "bug" (and even "gameBug" or "engineBug" if the player is able to choose)
<description> would be the description of the bug or the bad behavior of the player, as precise as possible

But these reports would require a list of dedicated trusted users responsible for taking a look at them regularly, and transmitting them if needed to lobby admins (in case of player reports) or engine/game devs (in case of bug report). And I don't think anyone is willing to spend time checking these automated reports regularly...
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

On the other hand I thought about implementing some !report command in SPADS some time ago. It would allow...
@bibim, I'd be very glad of this for reporting abuse/rudeness. Will send pm with more info.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

send reports to some channel then?! zero-k does this already, but afaik it only accepts reports on their website.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”