about servers

about servers

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Broker

about servers

Post by Broker »

Hi
Can make a server with lots of players? for example 15 to 15. sometimes there are enough players for that.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Re: about servers

Post by jamerlan »

Most of the people will be lagged out. It's unplayable. I hope it will be changed with future releases.
Broker

Post by Broker »

jamerlan wrote:Most of the people will be lagged out. It's unplayable. I hope it will be changed with future releases.
I remember that we tried to play 8v8v8v8. kind of worked. seems to me that the 10v10 will work.

and i know two map
1. Valiant_Saltscape
2. like DeltaSiegeRevX
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

You are running a simulation with lots of units. The more you have the slower it gets. Add to this that pathfinding breaks when you clump say mass flea into a wall. Most computers will not be able to handle this beyond a certain point. There has been little in the way of performance improvements so the real question is why should it work? Even 8v8 is slow because some people have awful CPU. The first thing you would want is a way to remove all players with a shitty system.

Then when have only 3770k or better see what is possible.

When I started playing I had a 700mhz CPU. That is the kind of CPU they designed spring for. All the rest is just hacks on top to add multithreading. Compare it to a modern engine with even GPU acceleration of game logics and you see why performance isn't optimal.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Because of the pathfinder I play Chickens / RoboDef often on green maps. It makes a big difference! If you want to organize >8v8 matches, I suggest you use very flat maps.

For less lag use massive static AA instead of fighter shield. You can disable fighters for all teams.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Interesting - there are those custom made maps for chickens which have the chickens coming out of rugged mountains, would be pretty easy to remake those with flat ground in place

As to huge games - no, its a silly idea, its been tried/discussed lots before. It's fun as a one off thing on rare occasions, but no more.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Just stick to 8v8 DSD.
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

hahaha...spring has really gone down the shitter.
Maybe its time to convert it into an MMORTS?

User was warned for this post. Felony 2.
Broker

Post by Broker »

many servers. most of them are empty. one can make a large number of players. it does not hurt others. Players will have a choice.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

it does not hurt others. Players will have a choice.
This is wrong because the choice is made as a group, in that there are people who want particular styles of game and can only join ones that are already running.
many servers. most of them are empty.
They fulfill different purposes & cater for the many types of game which can be sensibly played. Almost all of the BA autohosts online recieve regular use, to varying extents.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Silentwings wrote:Interesting - there are those custom made maps for chickens which have the chickens coming out of rugged mountains, would be pretty easy to remake those with flat ground in place.
I played BA-Chickens on Chicken_Farm_v02 just 4 days ago, and was lagged out after 30min. With previous engine+BA-Chickens versions (even with lower hardware specs) there were no problems on that map.

I don't want to rant on the engine-performance, but say "yes - flat chickens maps totally make sense". Thing is: I prefer hills and seas for diversity of game play xD
Maybe a good middle-way would be to have hills and seas, but the space between to be well plain.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”