Intrusion Countermeasure System - crap?

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

We had cloacked detector. And xanax emped our shit and nuked without problems.
You just can't look at your base and wait for these circles. (19 - 21 min)

How to act to prevent that? What could we do to prevent that spy automatically. Without looking at our base and waiting for circles?

Maybe is's better to make "Intrusion Countermeasure System" auto uncloack units?
Attachments
dsd_nuke.sdf
(5.28 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
klapmongool

Re: Intrusion Countermeasure System - crap?

Post by klapmongool »

Direct contact with the spy would uncloak it. Design your base in such a way that it has to come into contact with something before it reaches your anti nuke.
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

klapmongool wrote:Direct contact with the spy would uncloak it. Design your base in such a way that it has to come into contact with something before it reaches your anti nuke.
So I don't need that detector then. Just better and cheaper to surround by dragon teeth with llt's
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

For me if I've just got one thing to protect then yes - bury it somewhere inside your base that a spy can't reach, or wall off with dt & an llt. If you want to protect an open area or lots of things, use intrusion countermeasure.
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Should have been removed out of the game ages ago.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

When Caydr first implemented it, there was a suggestion to add radar dots with error to the target that is detected. I would say that's a reasonable start to making the unit more useful.
jamerlan

Post by jamerlan »

REVENGE wrote:When Caydr first implemented it, there was a suggestion to add radar dots with error to the target that is detected. I would say that's a reasonable start to making the unit more useful.
+1
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

To be honest it is pretty hard to sneak in stealth units in a way they have use. Even when people don't have intrusion countermeasures.

Successfully sneaking a stealth unit in requires either a) a very weak and quiet enemy base or b) a lot of micro. Even then it is often not possible to get in. Is it asking too much to require some micro to stop it as well?

Perhaps adding a notification for detection would do it. But making them into radar dots would make units/def automatically fire on them. That would make it too easy to porc porc porc.
scrotum

Post by scrotum »

use mobile anti?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

klapmongool wrote:To be honest it is pretty hard to sneak in stealth units in a way they have use. Even when people don't have intrusion countermeasures.

Successfully sneaking a stealth unit in requires either a) a very weak and quiet enemy base or b) a lot of micro. Even then it is often not possible to get in. Is it asking too much to require some micro to stop it as well?

Perhaps adding a notification for detection would do it. But making them into radar dots would make units/def automatically fire on them. That would make it too easy to porc porc porc.

Theres a AI script for autosneaking..use it
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

REVENGE wrote:When Caydr first implemented it, there was a suggestion to add radar dots with error to the target that is detected. I would say that's a reasonable start to making the unit more useful.
Lua it. I'm pretty sure car did so quite a few years ago. This function has a pretty good sounding name https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/d ... dle.h#L169

Seriously, you don't have to just waggle your tongue at game mechanics. There is enough lua in the engine to support most things and they are a lot more likely to be included in a game if someone actually writes the code for it.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Google_Frog wrote:
Lua it. I'm pretty sure car did so quite a few years ago. This function has a pretty good sounding name https://github.com/spring/spring/blob/d ... dle.h#L169

Seriously, you don't have to just waggle your tongue at game mechanics. There is enough lua in the engine to support most things and they are a lot more likely to be included in a game if someone actually writes the code for it.
That was years ago when I was doing really dumb things, like trying to spawn fake units in order to make fake radar blips. Either setunitlos=radar temporarily to the allyteam that sees the ping (no idea if that existed back then) or drop the whole seismic detector. In CA/ZK the policy is that if you can see something (a ping), your units should see it too. You shouldn't have to wrestle with your UI. That is, unless BA has a contrary policy, which would be more like Starcraft.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Google_Frog wrote:

Lua is a fine way to go about implementing my suggestion, I think you've mis-interpreted my statement.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”