How to 'Drive' a unit -Noob question alert

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Garedos

Post by Garedos »

Hi there,

I have been playing with spring on and off for a couple years now, but only just really started playing properly, specifically BA

I know in some spring mods it is possible to 'drive' a unit yourself, but I can't see any where in any guides how to actually enter a unit and drive it?

Please can someone tell me the defauly key to activate this mode?
gajop

Re: How to 'Drive' a unit -Noob question alert

Post by gajop »

it's called the "FPS" mode, and is useless for anything other than finding exploits (which may not even exist now so don't bother) - mostly because all units have really small range (in perspective to what you can see), all targeting & firing is done automatically, and navigating isn't easy

maybe in the future we'll have something like C&C: Renegade, but probably not
Garedos

Post by Garedos »

Thanks guys, I thought it was C but that doesn't seem to work.

Just thought it sounded like fun and potentially useful to jump in a scout plane to see whats going on in enemy bases, or a cloakable unit to have snoop around.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Garedos wrote:Thanks guys, I thought it was C but that doesn't seem to work.

Just thought it sounded like fun and potentially useful to jump in a scout plane to see whats going on in enemy bases, or a cloakable unit to have snoop around.
Fun? Maybe. Useful? No.

At one point there was a bug that resulted in people being able to shoot further than a unit was designed to by manually aiming in FPS Control mode... at the time many Spring game projects disabled the ability to go into FPS Control mode as a stop-gap measure to stop people from exploiting this bug. You'll have to wait for someone active in BA to comment to confirm but this is probably what you are running into.

You can try binding a key to the "controlunit" action and see if it works. For example:
bind Any+c controlunit
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

it should be "q" since the binds were added to zxcv, works for me
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

SinbadEV wrote:at the time many Spring game projects disabled the ability to go into FPS Control mode as a stop-gap measure to stop people from exploiting this bug. You'll have to wait for someone active in BA to comment to confirm but this is probably what you are running into.
It's not. Who do you think benefits from this kind of uneducated guesswork?
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Sadly, the first-person control has been going down persistently. The only reason it's still in seems to be that it's too much effort to dump completely when there are more interesting things to do for the devs.

Well and maybe some nagging in the background noise from the likes of me, even asking stuff like "how do i remove default automated aiming hud". But that's hardly relevant, since by now even i'm pretty convinced that trying fps with spring is too much lag for any use.

(i've been trying to reimplement an old fps/rts hybrid game back in 2009, and even got somewhere back on the track now. which reminds me that i must post the revised rituals for use with assimp)
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

There was a bug so I think a few units had FPS disabled. I think there is some sort of advanced core mex that shoots missiles which could be fpsed to fire the length of most maps.

To answer your question properly: Select a unit and type '/controlunit' in the chat. It cannot be fpsed if it does not have a weapon and it may not be fpsable even if it has a weapon. Once you have found something which can be fpsed you can press buttons until you find the hotkey. If you don't find a hotkey get your uikeys.txt and add a line like 'bind c controlunit'.
Garedos

Post by Garedos »

Thanks for the replies folks!
Zonk

Post by Zonk »

So can u still Dgun krows or not?
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

fps mode is borked for newest ba (prolly older ones aswell, must have been years since i tried) : i triedto fps myhero jeffe last ffa game but all it did ws drive i n circles. i couuld firelazor but all the arrows did was change ddirectiom of circle.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Zonk wrote:So can u still Dgun krows or not?
Afaik its not possible anymore :(

(from the other side, im basicly same nub now, so i may be wrong :P)

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”