question regarding current development status

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

dotch

Post by dotch »

i am an old OTA player who recently got interested in BA.
Is there a possibility to get (visual) info on the current development status of BAR or whatever it will be called.
Maybe a blog or some sample videos/pictures. (yes i have read the threads inside this forum and alrdy seen some unit pictures)
smoth

Re: question regarding current development status

Post by smoth »

Why? It just eats time. Posts are made here why not read those? You are asking for more work by asking for a more formal blog. This work is something that will only eat more time which could be used on new stuff.
dotch

Post by dotch »

i am well aware, that it will cost time. but it will also draw the attention of people, who stumble upon it and might eventually spread and appeal to a bigger audience, who then start following the project more closely.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Then why don't YOU volunteer for it. You will need to be reliable and post regularly it will need to be a priority for the next few years.

It is a bigger commitment than you think
dotch

Post by dotch »

like I said, i have no insight into the development status, thats why i was asking, so i can't do the job.
but i understand that it is not that imortant when you need all your manpower for the development. just wanted to give some input.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

You could check out:
http://imolarpg.dyndns.org/trac/balates ... anches/BAR

which is the source for the BAR branch of BA... it will likely be totally useless to you but at least you can see where progress is being made.
smoth

Post by smoth »

dotch wrote:like I said, i have no insight into the development status, thats why i was asking, so i can't do the job.
but i understand that it is not that imortant when you need all your manpower for the development. just wanted to give some input.
You can't? It isn't hard:

YOU: HEY BEHERITH, HOW'S IT GOIN? ANYTHIN NEW TO POAST?!?

BEHERITH: YEAH I ADDED A GREEN CASING ON THE KROGOTH'S LASER CANNON

YOU >
go take screenshot >

YOU>
Post news: things have been slow, but work is progressing, check out this new laser cannon graphic

HOLY SMOKES
gajop

Post by gajop »

i agree with smoth on this one, it would take time and wouldn't bring anything useful
popularity isn't even needed before it's completed, feel free to advertise it once it's done, or even now, or contribute in some way (you can probably do it without coding/modeling)
smoth

Post by smoth »

it is one of the few things dotch COULD do with no skillset to offer. I can coach him through a few posts if needed but asking already busy devs to take on MORE tasks needs to stop. People COULD step up and help more.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

I bet there are people who would contribute but don't because of the aggressive response they get on these forums.

Hey Dotch, good that you are interested in BA(R). If you want to see how far BAR is you should certainly try out the test hosts (Polonium and Thorium) that are running the latest versions of it. If you feel more like reading about it, or even contributing a bit, check out balancedannihilation.org
smoth

Post by smoth »

klapmongool wrote:I bet there are people who would contribute but don't because of the aggressive response they get on these forums.
"boo hoo smoth is mean"

Look man, we tried nice for years, we ended up with nothing getting done, promises made an never delivered uppon. Of course, people like myself are totally meanies and should stop scaring these fragile shrinking violets away because when they stand up and do something for the community, they will NEVER, EVER, receive ANY hatred or derision from this uppity gamer generation that demands everything and wants to pay nothing. < this last run on sentence was sarcasm.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

smoth wrote:
klapmongool wrote:I bet there are people who would contribute but don't because of the aggressive response they get on these forums.
"boo hoo smoth is mean"

Look man, we tried nice for years, we ended up with nothing getting done, promises made an never delivered uppon. Of course, people like myself are totally meanies and should stop scaring these fragile shrinking violets away because when they stand up and do something for the community, they will NEVER, EVER, receive ANY hatred or derision from this uppity gamer generation that demands everything and wants to pay nothing. < this last run on sentence was sarcasm.
I am not going to argue this with you, because of how you communicate. Let me know if you decide the "ass-hole-approach" does not work either. In the meanwhile I prefer to welcome newcomers.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

I don't see what's so horrible in asking for something, there's no reason it needs to stop. It's easy to ignore requests you can't or won't fulfill, raging at people over stupid shit is a much bigger waste of energy.

Even when people only offer a piece of their mind, it's still more than nothing. No point in stifling that. And nobody wants to help more when it's implicated they did something wrong when showing interest.
gajop wrote:i agree with smoth on this one, it would take time and wouldn't bring anything useful
popularity isn't even needed before it's completed, feel free to advertise it once it's done, or even now, or contribute in some way (you can probably do it without coding/modeling)
Can't really agree, to get maximum publicity you should ideally start marketing well before release day. Especially for a multiplayer game, where the amount of people playing directly makes other peoples experience smoother, it's crucial to have visibility already coinciding with the release.

But yeah, of course it's also an extra hurdle and not urgent for the time being.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Ignore smoth's herpderp, acquire BAR and see for yourself.

It is a bit complicated but nothing too difficult.

0)
If you are completly new to spring (joindate says so?) forgett about BAR for now and play the normal BA for a while. It is fun as well and perfectly playable.

1)
Download this .zip file:
branches_BAR-703.zip
(newest link is here at bottom of page: "Zip Archive")

2)
Inside is a BAR folder: branches_BAR-703.zip\branches\BAR\lots of files and folder
unzip it to spring\games folder

So that structure is is like spring\games\BAR\lots of files and folder

3)
Rename BAR folder to BAR.sdd

4)
Start the game. (will show as "BA Reloaded %version" or something)

NOTE:
This will not get you a playable game, actually when I just tried none of the units was able to shot.
Keep in mind that some units are not replaced yet and generally much of the underlying work is invisible to players if you test it like that. So this is just usefull to look at the new models or something.
(if you are superbored, make screenshots)
If you want to see if your favorite unit is already remade, type
/cheat
/nocost
and everything will build faster.

tl;dr
smoth

Post by smoth »

klap is so tedious. I am tired and I am not going to spend the 20 minutes or so it would take to give you a detailed post on why your behavior is self generated.

I'll address a few points. You are calling me an a-hole, I didn't say i was being one. Here is where you got the conversation wrong.

person comes in wanting said thing, oldtimer tells him it is too timeconsuming to take away from the developer, old timer tells him to take up the mantle, you post in thread a bunch of ill feelings and drama that the person knows nothing about.

Why new person should take up the mantle:
  • This is an open community, if he is really interested in seeing new stuff that is the best place to be, where he is chatting with behe and feeding his hungry brain.
  • He might not have skills when he starts but he will develop them, like we all do.
  • You never know, he may become a pillar of the community.
Why ideas are bad:
  • Ideas are bad when they stop at IDEAS, that is the problem, they never leave ideas, several members have threads full of ideas with nothing to show of it.
  • if you think we don't have ideas of our own and tasks demanding our time your are foolish.
My stance, I forget cultural bias, so here is my stance, I am an American as such I believe in the american dream. That is, I believe with enough effort and force of will you can learn most if any skill and really achieve something. It doesn't mean that if you want something you will get it, or that if you want to be an ink-pen you can grow up and be and ink pen. It means, if you want something, you go out there and you try to make it happen, believe that you can. Maybe that isn't engrained in you, but it is a part of me, and if you look at the stuff I do, I dream it and achieve it. Here is the part of the american dream people forget: you are not there through only yourself, you have a great many people who can help you if you only ask and make the effort!

We guess what buck-o, this is the opensource community, you have FREE TOOLS, you have a WIDE body of knowledge with a great skillset often eager to share what we know. This isn't the place to say, hey this is cool you should make it happen! This is the place to say, hey this is cool, and I can be the one to make that a reality if I am willing to give the effort. Stop calling me an asshole and start asking why you are so incapable, you will find it is you, and you alone who is your impediment!

Johan, I agree, I like to see suggestions, out of the seas of suggestions I received for gundam, I acquired a great many good ideas. I did see results from my news posts and communities would grow and die, I made every effort to let this happen. Should ba aquire someone to do news posts like I used to for gundam, ba will see player increase, I agree. I also agree with your other points but I don't think behe is the guy, we need a community enthusiast who doesn't annoy behe too much.
smoth

Post by smoth »

DOTCH:
Do not take my post as deriding you, I am trying to say that YOU can be the guy! Not that I am saying you have to be but think it over! You'd be closer to the flow of information and learn all kinds of cool things! It is seldom my intent to deride when I say someone should do it, I am saying you CAN DO IT.
knorke

Post by knorke »

fuck yeah!
so emmanuel is american now?
nightcold

Post by nightcold »

smoth wrote:
"boo hoo smoth is mean"

Well few people even have the skill set to significantly contribute.

What you are asking for is also a lot. You expect people to drop their own hobbies and interests to start something that they can’t even begin to make heads and tales of(you also assume they even have that much interest in game development). Which will take hours and hours to even begin to understand and get a feel for what is what, on top of putting in the actual man hours to do the job. People have not established the habits of work that you and the other developers have, it is far harder for them than you think.

Imagine the sc2 developers telling the community to make their own mod every time they would say offer feedback or talk about the balance.

Instead of thinking of people as object of utility for you and spring development, maybe you should start thinking about them as people.

I don’t see the problem on updating people on progress(it feeds people’s interest in the mod), taking a screenshot and posting it on a forum that you already spend a ton of time on takes very little effort. If you can’t handle all the pressure of the feedback, maybe you can ask peeps to tone it down a bit. Or maybe you can remove the possibility for feedback but still post updates (lock thread). But if your game does not get played because you can’t handle a bit of feedback regarding your bankrupt gameplay philosophy which removes all gameplay tension and makes the gameplay a constant boring steam of units with no consequences in regards to the overwhelming majority of the decisions you make/macro management/micro management, now that is your fault.

Dotch, just ignore smoth he is just sour about the fate of his mod/ “game”
Last edited by nightcold on 18 Jul 2012, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Well that is the point of this forum.
  • This is a game development forum for the Spring engine. This subforum is about BA development.
  • Everyone here had to acquire skills. The current content devs didn't just turn up here and make games at their current quality.
  • smoth pointed out some tasks related to this thread which require very little skill (screenshot taking does take a little skill, it must because I have seen some awful attempts).
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

knorke wrote:
NOTE:
This will not get you a playable game, actually when I just tried none of the units was able to shot.
When I tried the latest version it was very playable. Of course that might be different every new version.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”