Endgame graph hard to make out

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

arx

Post by arx »

Hello folks

I can not decipher much from the end-game stats, unless playing as an obvious colour like black. Even then i can't figure out much who the rest are on that graph. Certainly if it's 8v8 game then yes its a big struggle to make any sense of it. It would be good if when hovering over the line it would show the name of that player and or it would also be good if one could zoom into the graph .. i mentioned this in game a few times and some said to make a widget - well i can not do that. I was wondering if anyone colour blind or otherwise would say it is a particularly easy to understand system as it stands anyway.. ? also the initial results page only shows my own score, not the score of each player (says 0)..

ps. i am colour blind !! :|
smoth

Re: Endgame graph hard to make out

Post by smoth »

the end game graph is some hard coded thing that is part of the engine. Any alteration would need to be at the engine level. So probably not going to happen until someone writes a lua replacement.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

I am completely agree with arx. I always look at graphs after battle and it's really hard to remember who played which colour. Players leave fast and Adv Player List for example does not displays player names after they leave.
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

I would love some decent endgame stats. Main problem is that there are no names next to graph.

My easy suggestion:
Make list of all players next to endgame graph and put thickbox next to names. That way we could switch some off to get better view.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Everyone has ideas fewer still have motivation enough to see it through
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

But the current graph screen really is quite good apart from a few major flaws. So I'd rather see it fixed and improved than someone making a ground-up replacement, which most likely wouldn't feature as much info as the engine one.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Even just percentages would be better than the current fugly graphs tbh
smoth

Post by smoth »

Johannes wrote:But the current graph screen really is quite good apart from a few major flaws.
and is inflexible.
Johannes wrote: So I'd rather see it fixed and improved than someone making a ground-up replacement, which most likely wouldn't feature as much info as the engine one.
It would likely feature more with better interactive elements etc. Nah, the engine one needs to be replaced.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Tried, to talk the endgame graph into dating once. Didnt work out, she said you and winmin, thats a weak correlation, so it left me sitting at the bottom of the curve. Nice to hear that im not the only one in trouble.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Jazcash wrote:Even just percentages would be better than the current fugly graphs tbh
Percentages of what? If you only see what the stats are at the games ending moment, that's worthless. Of course it needs some sort of graph with a time axis.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Johannes wrote:
Jazcash wrote:Even just percentages would be better than the current fugly graphs tbh
Percentages of what? If you only see what the stats are at the games ending moment, that's worthless. Of course it needs some sort of graph with a time axis.
No it does not. He probably did not mean percentage at the moment the game ends because it would not make much sense (as you figured yourself).
Quite sure he means percentage per player over the whole game: like player X had 23% of of damage dealt and had 17% of the teams metal.
Player y had 8% damage dealt and 44% metal and so on.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

I think this topic should be moved because it's not BA feature. It's engine feature.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Someone once wrote a bot that created a website with images that showed ration per player and side of E+M spent on eco or units, offense or defense, an image of which paths lots of units went, with battle/collision-points and so forth. That was the best battle analysis I have seen so far. Having generated that automatically for each game - perfect. I don't mind if it is displayed ingame or on a website.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

very_bad_soldier wrote:
Johannes wrote:
No it does not. He probably did not mean percentage at the moment the game ends because it would not make much sense (as you figured yourself).
Quite sure he means percentage per player over the whole game: like player X had 23% of of damage dealt and had 17% of the teams metal.
Player y had 8% damage dealt and 44% metal and so on.
Yeah, even running percentages would be nice. Kinda of like other games where you hold tab and it shows the current scores.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

I did mean stats accumulated during the whole game until the end, maybe just worder it poorly.

It's not interesting at all to see who did the most damage during the game - now what's interesting is to see who did most damage in this or that battle, or when exactly one player overcame another in metal income or unit count. Things that are interesting outside of dickwaving contest.
gajop

Post by gajop »

will BAR use chili?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I wanted to include the output of one of my widgets into that graph, but it's a shame that you can't even extend the functionality a bit from modside (the widget that shows who did how much damage to whom).

So I'd like to have one extra tab in the graph that mod can use for own stuff, but the other points are also valid: basically there is too much junk in that graph, and even showing total percentages would sufffice imo.

It's not interesting to see who dealt a lot of damage at what point if you don't know what type of damage it is. You know that spring counts every built dragons teeth as an unit killed? This is because technically the unit dies when it is built, even tough this is all bollocks from any statistical point of view.
arx

Post by arx »

Sorry I thought this was something which BA team could work on, but I guess the same system is there for all the spring mods.

Thats just crazy about every dragon tooth being a unit lost, i am a pro-teeth layer lol. but you know I wouldnt worry about the scores and am glad in a way that there is no centralised stats system in BA because that could lead to very selflish play-style in team games IMO. i just mean that i would rather be able to zoom in or see player names or yea even a percentage or just a simple overall-game score than to be very confused as it stands. i also notice that my own line is flashing which helps to differentiate it, but then as other players leave they also start flashing hehe

i like that post about just tapping a tab at any time to see the scores, i am sure TA had that.

it's a great game and engine anyway
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

arx wrote: i like that post about just tapping a tab at any time to see the scores, i am sure TA had that.
I'm sure there's a widget that does that. Well, not tab because tab is reserved for ingame chat (in TA it was F4 I think).
smoth

Post by smoth »

ta's scoreboard was just kills.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”