Rank Limit - Why BA died - Page 2

Rank Limit - Why BA died

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Mr. Bob

Re: Rank Limit - Why BA died

Post by Mr. Bob »

KaiserJ wrote:@bob (edit: specifically regarding your model pack): looking at this argument objectively, when you first announced your project, it seemed clear (to me at least) that it would be pyra doing a texture, and you would do all of the models... there was never an appeal for "hey i'm looking to build a team for x"... it seemed a closed project; that's why the majority of what you ended up with was so many people putting on an expert hat and telling/ suggesting for what you should do, and conversely very few people offering to help. i would have been interesting in helping, from the outset, if it had been an option. it was not.
The problem here is that the creation of new models/textures is regarded as a project in and of itself, irrespective of the overall project that is BAR. (Or whatever good name it ends up getting.) This is my fault as I made a thread instead of contacting whoever was in charge at the time directly. There was no need for me to scout for talent, though, because I'm A) not the organizer (I didn't have that authority) and B) I'd only be in control of the art aspect. Well, that's counterintuitive as the art aspect was covered by the ones potentially scouting for talent.

Ideally, the development of the game should be closed house from the ground up. Seeing as we don't have that, it's best to close off as much as you can and organize everything you can.

---

As for everyone else talking about getting team members, that's actually an advertising issue just like the release is.

Organizer -> Advertisement to Potential Team Interests -> Development -> Advertisement of the Finished Project

That's generally the way indie teams get created. And no, I don't think it's idealistic. At all. Infact, that's the mainstream method. Think of me and Pyra jumping on board. We're just two random people with an interest in digital art, and a lot of boredom. Now, edit the scenario so that you are the ones looking for talent, not waiting for talent to find you. It's a much better situation.

I promise you, based on experience, artist are in abundance. Maybe not extremely gifted artists, but that's not required. Honestly, if I can do this art related stuff, basically anyone can, provided they have some sort of modeling background. And, the best part is, these artists are by and large incredibly bored.

That's how indie talent scouting works. You find artists good enough to get the job done, but artists not quite good enough to be in a professional position. (Most artists.)

As far as places to go, look for cg related forums and indie gaming sites. Get involved in the communities with the meta intent of eventually finding talent. Or, be more direct and just make your intentions known with threads. It really is quite simple. Now that me and pyra are gone, you need artists. You really do. Make it very clear on the BA website that you are actively looking for new team members. Present the existing content professionally. Etc etc etc.

---

Also, as a side point, I'm not trying to say Behe is doing some sort of shitty job. He's doing an amazing job with what he has. Unfortunately, all he has is his own help.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The primary reason this project is going anywhere at all is simply because Beherith makes executive decisions, and before that, nobody did, not for a long stretch back into the past, brief stints by Fat Controller etc. To go back to any real executive decision makers, you need to revisit Noize at the birth of BA, or Caydr and AA, and even then it wasn't entirely a dictator ( I shan't discuss Caydr, many would argue for many pages on his stewardship of AA ).

Sadly, for all Beheriths brilliance, his decisions provide direction, but a single man cannot provide momentum on the scale needed.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Exactly.
smoth

Post by smoth »

keep in mind bob, every one man team, including myself hits up many people for help and advice. Dedicated team members are rare, but help is not always absent. There are many people silently helping.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth wrote:keep in mind bob, every one man team, including myself hits up many people for help and advice. Dedicated team members are rare, but help is not always absent. There are many people silently helping.
This exactly, it's something Beheriths grown adept at
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

bob i'm not trying to rag on your or anything, or question your methods and reasoning which are by-and-large correct. the only problem i can see (and we could honestly argue all day about the why) is that the type of recruitment you're mentioning doesn't seem to ever stick with this community. i'm not familiar with everyone, but i can't offhand think of an artist or dev here that has been here long-term from a route other than having played a spring game and decided they wanted to check out the development side. people have arrived like that, but they don't seem to stick around. maybe i'm wrong

anyways, i guess if you're done, best of luck in future projects, and thanks for the hard work!

you guys should be worried though. beherith might ask ME for a hand, then the whole project is toast ;) kaiser: the silent killer
it's something Beheriths grown adept at
a virtual beard of secret allies
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Most of the work behind BAR is not shown all to publicly, but there are a lot of people going out of their way to help me. Would be a shame not to give them credit (in no particular order)

smoth
marciolino/zorro
KaiserJ
FireStorm
koshi
Nixtux
AF

BTW Bob, if you have any suggestions of where I should post a formal invitation to collaborate, please PM me.
arx

Post by arx »

Hi folks i just checked back on to the forum and read through

since i made the OP a fortnight ago i tried BA out again and everyone was playing on the TERA or 6v6 servers which were unranked. It also seemed there were more people than I had seen previously like 10 or so. In fact now it seems from 1pm gmt onward there is definately 10 or more players, even if its just one game. well anyway I have been able to play and have enjoyed myself considerably.

I am happy that BA is as conservative a mod as it has been to the mother game TA. It is the only reason I play BA, because it feels exactly like TA. it's a game which exercises the mind in its hardcoreness RTS element.

unfortunately, as with the two prior times I played there are a lot of what I call tactinazis. These are higher ranked players (rank coming only from in-game time as i understand it) usually in the form of yes an exclusive "clique" who will harrass and whinge about playstyle from the moment the game starts until the end. these faces come and go from the scene and i have decided to set to ignore and keep enjoying the mod. thanks all
smoth

Post by smoth »

KaiserJ wrote:a virtual beard of secret allies
if only alcari would get active we could have a real beard of allies!
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

arx wrote: unfortunately, as with the two prior times I played there are a lot of what I call tactinazis. These are higher ranked players (rank coming only from in-game time as i understand it) usually in the form of yes an exclusive "clique" who will harrass and whinge about playstyle from the moment the game starts until the end. these faces come and go from the scene and i have decided to set to ignore and keep enjoying the mod. thanks all
Could you elaborate a bit more where you stand - it's a team game, to what level should people expect others to coordinate with others and try to play well, or should everyone just stfu and focus on doing their own thing?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Johannes wrote:
arx wrote: unfortunately, as with the two prior times I played there are a lot of what I call tactinazis. These are higher ranked players (rank coming only from in-game time as i understand it) usually in the form of yes an exclusive "clique" who will harrass and whinge about playstyle from the moment the game starts until the end. these faces come and go from the scene and i have decided to set to ignore and keep enjoying the mod. thanks all
Could you elaborate a bit more where you stand - it's a team game, to what level should people expect others to coordinate with others and try to play well, or should everyone just stfu and focus on doing their own thing?
What he is describing happens with many games where there is a very opinionated old user base. Most old-timer players have worked out 1-2 overall strats they like to play through and they try to shove that down everyone's throats. Most new players enjoy experimentation, some will just look for a prescribed way to play and follow the formula. It is best to give suggestions after asking the player if he/she is interested in learning how to play. Otherwise, yeah, stfu and play the game understanding that not everyone wants to do what you want them to.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Johannes wrote: Could you elaborate a bit more where you stand - it's a team game, to what level should people expect others to coordinate with others and try to play well, or should everyone just stfu and focus on doing their own thing?
I dont see where he disapproved teamplay. I am quite sure he was about something different when he said "harrass" and "whinge".
I think that exactly might be the problem: There are people that do not understand the difference in saying "bro radar pls" and "WTF NOOB LULZ NO RADAR".
And yeah, such people should imo really stfu and do their own thing.
smoth

Post by smoth »

+1
Pako

Post by Pako »

Telling noobs what to do is not bad at all. Most internet people can handle it and they will eventually feel like their effort matters. Of course insulting and other ego inflating is bad especially against female players.

Still for a noob to stop getting advices can feel like a victory, especially when other players on a team still gets pointers to do things. That is just a positive game experience.

Smoth is exceptionally correct too. I have learned a lot from spectating a noob and thinking that will never work when it works suprising well and ficuring out why that worked.

Like once in DSD, a noob build 4 mexes 6 solars and an airlab then just assisted the lab with com and build banshees for 14 minutes. Then just moved them to enemy bases and basically won the game. I haven't seen it since then and probably even I would get hated for trying that in a DSD game nowdays.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

Spot on... "noob" strategies can definitely win because they are somewhat unexpected. I have seen extreme fail by teams full of top notch players because everyone was teching and there was no front player at all.

"This team is so leet, so I can probably tech"
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

Judge people by the outcome of their fights, not by their methods.
smoth

Post by smoth »

That can swing to support several different and bad views. Avoid sweeping generalizations.
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

I'm only talking about BA games, not the history of mankind here.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”