Leaderboard in FFA mode

Leaderboard in FFA mode

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Beherith

Leaderboard in FFA mode

Post by Beherith »

Would you think it to be a good idea to display the ranked order of the total metal value of each player in FFA mode?
Should the player not see his own rank? Should it be updated constantly or just every minute?

Would this make it easier to gang up on the strongest player or would it help the strongest player more by telling him who is the weakest?
scifi

Re: Leaderboard in FFA mode

Post by scifi »

i think it is a fun idea, although it kinda takes away the good old strategy of porcing up at sea with all those fusions :mrgreen: without making any army at all.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Imo this would be awesome. It would be nice to have rudimentary diplomacy as well.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

flexible Alliances, with the ability to take huge amounts of metall and energy towards the enemy!
Traitors always make for maxiMum drama! Nobody share with that guy, because he sold us out lasttime.
albator

Post by albator »

+1

Also, since metal value will strongly differ depending on if you produce it or get it from reclaim, it would be nice to add a second number so the player have an idea of if the player just got it casue he kill someone or cause he has huge eco: a player with 90% of is metal as eco is much more of a potential end-game threat than a player that have 90% of his eco in unit cause of T1 spam. Utilmately it gives you more insight about who to kill to win, and not to delay you lose...

This 2nd number should be the pourcentage of increase of metal since the previous minute.

An update every minute looks fine, otherwise you can see live action with number. Ofc implementing it such it can vary would be best.

For test maybe do it like a mod option ?
HectorMeyer

Post by HectorMeyer »

Beherith wrote:Would you think it to be a good idea to display the ranked order of the total metal value of each player in FFA mode?
Yes. Personally, I would base the rank on energy income.
Beherith wrote:Should the player not see his own rank?
That actually sounds like a good idea.
Beherith wrote:Should it be updated constantly or just every minute?
Doesn't really matter i guess
Beherith wrote:Would this make it easier to gang up on the strongest player or would it help the strongest player more by telling him who is the weakest?
The first aspect would be more prominent. And intended of course, as it would take away the late game boredom of FFAs.

Maybe we also see a diplomacy mode (with cooldowns to break peace treaties) soon.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Beherith wrote:Would you think it to be a good idea to display the ranked order of the total metal value of each player in FFA mode?
Should the player not see his own rank? Should it be updated constantly or just every minute?

Would this make it easier to gang up on the strongest player or would it help the strongest player more by telling him who is the weakest?
Great minds think alike?
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

I don't this will not have a profound impact on gameplay. Players often know who is the strongest player going into the game. Likewise the strongest player usually knows who is the biggest threat. Reason is that the community is very small and everyone knows eachother. It would help prevent smurfing though and have a subtle psychological impact which cannot be predicted.

I would like to see a FFA highscore too.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

I'd rather just make proper scouting easier in some way. Just giving the info away for free takes away a big part of the game. And scouting about who's in a strong position mid-late game is quite easy as it is, this to me would be more helpful for example in earlyish game to decide which of your neighbours is easy pickings, when you don't have air yet.
sillynanny

Post by sillynanny »

Scouting should be rewarded, so this ranking display should not exist.
smoth

Post by smoth »

sillynanny wrote:Scouting should be rewarded, so this ranking display should not exist.
feature that doesn't effect you in game, doesn't effect gameplay can be ignored you veto because your prefered gamestyle is not supported.. LAME.

Behe, do you want one like the OTA one?
gajop

Post by gajop »

i rather enjoy playing ffa, and if possible, it may be best to have two game styles, one with such information being available, and one where it's not available
i do like the "gang up on the strongest" concept, but at the same time, it's fun to play when you don't know who's currently the strongest, it feels a bit like exploration :)
albator

Post by albator »

gajop wrote:i do like the "gang up on the strongest" concept
I prefer that to the "lets gang up on AlbA concept"
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Those two rarely differ.
smoth

Post by smoth »

smoth wrote:Behe, do you want one like the OTA one?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Yeah, as a first try I think the best would be to say each minute after 5 minutes: 'Player xxx has taken the lead'
smoth

Post by smoth »

jools did most of the code for that...
knorke

Post by knorke »

ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

Great idea behe! To see all ranks all the time, total M valuse is good indicator (smart players can then even stockpile M to be seen as weaker :) )
gajop

Post by gajop »

ginekolog wrote:Great idea behe! To see all ranks all the time, total M valuse is good indicator (smart players can then even stockpile M to be seen as weaker :) )
can always be calculated as "metal worth" + "metal stockpile" unless you meant corpse stockpiles :)

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”