BA Website - Page 4

BA Website

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

What do you think about?

I like it
53%
I love it
47%

Total votes: 36

marciolino

Re: BA Website

Post by marciolino »

qray wrote:... I could image some improvements: ...
I agree with almost all you said, thanks for your observations. I took note ;)
albator

Post by albator »

Noobtrap for t2 defensive structures:do not build the arm long laser defensive building(Annihilator?i always confuse the name with the moving unit equivalent which by the way shouldn’t be built in most cases as well)It is shit and will die to land attacks as well as small air attacks just don’t build it.
If ur core u can try and build a doomsday i guess but moving attack units are ALMOST always better.

This should be taken in an ironic way right ?

it is nice to make tuto and description but better right nothing than that ....

For the recod every single unit as a use and there is always a situation where it is better to build it than an other (expect raider vs stumpy ofc :D)

EDIT: "shit" "bad" "crap" does not have its place on a website. THis is disadvertisment

EDIT2: about the website:

I kinda agree with pako on this one, it is annoying to wait seconds each time you click on something, it just makes me wants to leave

About forum: contrast is awful and hurt my eyes. It is just a pain to browse it.

I have not spend anymore time on it cause of the 2 reasons above; sorry not to say any nice comments but I think clarity and functionally are primary objective before making fancy stuff (that are nice btw)
knorke

Post by knorke »

I can only hope so, it is from the webpage.
marciolino

Post by marciolino »

knorke wrote:
I can only hope so, it is from the webpage.
The post was removed. I did a copy/paste of some tutorials from this website (springrts.com), that post was one of them, so it should be removed before here somewhere.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

No JS issues should be fixed by adding a nojs class to the body and removing it with javascript then styling accordingly.

I think it's worth reminding people that as well as the time marciolino has put in, he has also spent hard cash on this. Don't be too harsh and don't bother attacking the foundations with suggestions of wikis, the chance for that happened, and that ship sailed quite a while ago.
Pako

Post by Pako »

Maybe you just fail to realize how important a wiki is for a strategy game with over 200 units.

Of course the wiki could be on other site but it won't happen witout more players and without a good info on units and strategy there will be no competitive players. With no competitive players the normal players won't follow. Currently with none good BA guides new competitive players are very hard to get because they will remain inferior in skill for too long even against the normal players so they quit.

Most BA players can't write good gameplay guides but almost all experienced players could update a wiki.

Some examples of game wikis:
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft_Wiki
http://www.ufopaedia.org/
http://strategywiki.org/wiki
albator

Post by albator »

I would not mind write some. Point is: will the unit stats stay the same and have the same behaviour in BAR once it is pollished ? (speed, acceleration, weapon type, turet turn rate,etc....)
knorke

Post by knorke »

Pako wrote:Maybe you just fail to realize how important a wiki is for a strategy game with over 200 units.
This.
If you look at the manual from zK you see that most pages were edited multiple times, by different people.
For unit descriptions I also like how zK does it:
http://zero-k.info/Static/UnitGuide
autogenerated from unitdefs, with a customparameter for the text.

Also are you just going to delete every tutorial once a part of it becomes outdated?
eg this guide about spacing units: http://balancedannihilation.org/2009/02 ... ur-spaces/
It is ok except for this part:
if you build a Core Tech 2 Air Plant, don’t place anything directly in front of it or else it won’t be able to build anything. 1 space is enough to keep them happy.
That is a bug that should not be mentioned in a tutorial, it is probally fixable.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Luckily people arent as stupid as pako thinks they are.
We are indeed planning to make an armory with comments/wiki section for each unit. Just because these things arent being stuffed in your faces, doesnt mean they are not happening.

Marciolino is doing an excellent job of making the site better, and I feel it is progressing along extremely well.

@alba: It would be really nice if you could write a few lines about each unit once the web interface for it is done. You are more than experienced when it comes to these units :D
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

This BA site is probably the single best thing to happen to BA since BAR.

Now we just need someone to do ARM for BAR and we're set. :o

By the way marciolino it seems unnecessary to update the whole page when you click on a menu item, isn't it enough to just update the content area since nothing else changes? I've made webapps where page transition time is down to ~150 milliseconds with caching, so low you can barely perceive it whereas on your site it's quite long. I know there are limitations due to the technology, but maybe this could be improved if you tried.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

Cheesecan wrote:Now we just need someone to do ARM for BAR and we're set. :o
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 08#p514879
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

knorke wrote:Also are you just going to delete every tutorial once a part of it becomes outdated?
eg this guide about spacing units: http://balancedannihilation.org/2009/02 ... ur-spaces/
if you build a Core Tech 2 Air Plant, don’t place anything directly in front of it or else it won’t be able to build anything. 1 space is enough to keep them happy.
That is a bug that should not be mentioned in a tutorial, it is probally fixable.
That kind of stuff does belong to a guide if it's actually helpful, but atm that described thing does not happen.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

albator wrote:I would not mind write some. Point is: will the unit stats stay the same and have the same behaviour in BAR once it is pollished ? (speed, acceleration, weapon type, turet turn rate,etc....)
Afaik, those will stay the same outside deliberate balance patches (which imo, biggest changes should happen before model change so you can ship a more polished product in that matter too with the new models). But turret placement, for example, or footprint size, will slightly change which can effect some stuff. But, for most units it will stay (at least practically) the same and those few which are notably affected, it's easy to change the description slightly if it really feels relevant.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Johannes wrote:
knorke wrote:Also are you just going to delete every tutorial once a part of it becomes outdated?
That kind of stuff does belong to a guide if it's actually helpful, but atm that described thing does not happen.
Yeah, these tutorials were written years ago so certain things like the air lab factory spacing no longer apply. If anybody wants to modify or amend to my guides, feel free.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Jazcash wrote:If anybody wants to modify or amend to my guides, feel free.
With a wiki this would be possible. Atm it is not.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

knorke wrote:
Jazcash wrote:If anybody wants to modify or amend to my guides, feel free.
With a wiki this would be possible. Atm it is not.
Huh? It's Wordpress, if it isn't possible I'll be damned.
knorke

Post by knorke »

maybe it is possible but i only see buttons for posting new stuff, nothing to edit.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

knorke wrote:maybe it is possible but i only see buttons for posting new stuff, nothing to edit.
That's 'cause your account doesn't have permissions to ;)
knorke

Post by knorke »

ah ok.
So the site already is basically like a wiki, just the software is called something else.
smoth

Post by smoth »

not a slick as a wiki. just editable.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”