Decline in BA players - Page 7

Decline in BA players

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

scifi

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by scifi »

smoth wrote:speaking of that, will ba get an installer?
my 2 cents on the issue probably after BAR
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Yes, it will (at least, it's on the todo list at some point during the release of BAR).
arx

Post by arx »

I'd say the reason is definately the tossers. The ppl who rage/quit when their team/themself is dying on the one hand, and who taunt and gloat when they are on the winning side/win it. In a nutshell its the assholes. They arent the majority but they are loudest. i enjoyed to play heaps of 1v1 on teh newbies server and was kind and helpful to ppl i hope. certainly when i came back to BA this time it was just full to the brim of smacktard wannabe elitists. some left during the time i played again which was nice, but that sure was stressful trying to start again

anyways, playing DayZ now
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

anyway, playing DayZ now... were the assholes are the holeiest, and the "ass you command" is the demanddandiest...

I found the best sollution still to have a computer take some load of loosing (bots in shooters, minions in dota, lol, chickens) to be quite a saviour .. it allows for everyone to be usefull (even the guy in the corner, building nothing but the bertha.. steady as he goes)...
The truth is, Zero-K did everything right, and has everything BA had before + more, and now it has eaten its share, and is diggesting (tastes like chicken?) and the remains remain to be fought over by the lowlevelrs, fearing in secret the return (BA:R);
NeOmega

Post by NeOmega »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Its just if you ask the same conservative group everything is perfect and nothing needs to change...

So i truly am wondering what the status quo supporters think is going on...

I said it before, Ill say it again: flea spam. It kills CPU's, and makes the thrill of the thought of fighting to the late stage become very disappointing, and after your 50th game with t3, you see that a super-laggy flea spam battle is always the way the game ends, not giant krogoth battles as you imagined.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

NeOmega wrote:
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Its just if you ask the same conservative group everything is perfect and nothing needs to change...

So i truly am wondering what the status quo supporters think is going on...

I said it before, Ill say it again: flea spam. It kills CPU's, and makes the thrill of the thought of fighting to the late stage become very disappointing, and after your 50th game with t3, you see that a super-laggy flea spam battle is always the way the game ends, not giant krogoth battles as you imagined.
Yeah, concentrating fire at late stage of the game is just too effective to allow any single unit (or even few units) survive at all, whether it's krogs or something else.

But, honestly, I think it's most important to make new and old players alike feel welcomed and have a sense of community. Balance changes and morphs, but if players like each other's company, they've a reason more to stay. :wink:
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

But, honestly, I think it's most important to make new and old players alike feel welcomed and have a sense of community.
+1, I'm hopeful that having singleplayer tutorials/missions/campaign for BAR will lower the barrier to entry and make us more newb friendly without even realising it.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

How missions/tuts/campaigns will help new players ? Maybe old players should stop yelling at new ones or calling them idiots etc. ? Ye, im sure this would work! Im also sure thar host admins/mod banning people for this would help. I find it sad that getting 24h for smurfing, even if im ranked as vet, is apparently worse than racism (quoting vbs 'racism on the internet is just a talk', lol)
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

All the complaints about social issues and community are null and void since they exist in any community.
I dont see how people are missing this when they start complaining about some trolling or people behaving badly.
This is not the reason why many experienced players left to play other games and its not the reason why BA is losing players.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

All the complaints about social issues and community are null and void since they exist in any community.
You are so wrong i dont even... I moved to other community like 1 year ago, any sort of trolling is insta ban with 1 screenshot. This way 'old' players dont even think about trolling or calling someone nigger.
its not the reason why BA is losing players.
Wondering why after 1+ year after comming back i dont see new faces in BA lobbies... Wondering why i dont know almost anyone from ZK. Oh wait, maybe becouse nobody rage there 24/7 and new players stay?

New player comes and get yelled at for not sending t3 after 10 mins. What would you do if you were him? Seriously, think...
Other than that, take up your complaint with the autohost owner, which can be found by giving the !admins command.
This is something that killed me (from another thread). Such a bs... Autohosts are something new players got contact with. If players treat newbie like shit there and nothing is done whos fault it is ? Players (usually old) and host owners/admins/mods, but 'spring' is the one blamed.

Ye, keep saying its DSD/bugs/pathing/whatever fault. Its your fault you tolerate such crap.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Wombat wrote:How missions/tuts/campaigns will help new players ?
The idea is that you can play the game, learn it while having fun, instead of jumping into the shark's den, getting destroyed and insulted for being a noob.
Then there's that hope that we might have a wide variety of multiplayer scenarios that can be played both competitively and cooperatively, making the community a lot larger.
The first thing that comes to my mind is what WC3 did with scenarios (and that's largely thanks to the good scenario editor they had), where scenarios were probably played by a larger playerbase than the people that played regular skirmish.

PS: I believe the amount of raging happening in games is a part of the result of the game design. F.e, fast paced FPSes tend to induce very little raging, while in the other extreme you have DOTA-like games. Much like in the Spring community, I think BA gameplay has more people raging than in ZK, due to a much more important competition for map resources, a larger impact of ecoing on self-improvement, and an (IMO) much bigger negative impact single noobs can have on team games.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Or people could just shut up? Guess what takes less time/effort.

User was banned for this and previous posts. Felony 2 repeat offender.
-Beherith
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

How about you see new people in ZK not because of lack of trolling or flaming which exists in every community and plenty of it(I play LOL one of the biggest online communities and it has tons of flaming in game) but because they have their own installer, their own lobby, a proper website and a complete and set widget list?

Every other community has trolls and flamers.
I left because BA dev was bottlenecked in 1 dev that for some reason has all the authority over what is done and all decisions must go through him and in this case the reigning devs were extremely conservative while also not considering 1v1 enough as oppose to the original BA devs i.e. Noize and DayWalker.

ADDED

There were some major problematic descisions made.
1)no adding of individuals models.
Expecting someone to make 400 models before any of them are used in game is ridiculous.
2)not enough focus on balance and game design from a 1v1 perspective whci hsi usually where the game is at its highest tier and where balance and gameplay issues are the most evident and are not a result of a lack of skill/knowledge of the game or a lack of coordination.
3)No attention to how BA gameplay was being altered by the fact it was originally being played in a 1-1 up to 5-5 environment while spring shifted to a 1-1 up to 8v8 or even 16v16 in extreme cases.
4)Nobody accepted the idea that widgets are a part of balance and gameplay and hence must be controlled and locked down to maintain a coherent and stable environment where your abilities are not controlled by how experienced you are with downloading and sorting out lua.
Last edited by Rumpelstiltskin on 31 Jul 2012, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

gajop wrote:I think BA gameplay has more people raging than in ZK, due to a much more important competition for map resources, a larger impact of ecoing on self-improvement, and an (IMO) much bigger negative impact single noobs can have on team games.
I would actually disagree. There are ways to exploit zk economy for personal benefit but it's been black-boxed so hard that people don't really care enough to do it. And the resource distribution definitely means newbies have a greater impact.

I think it is moreso that there is a consistent set of admins across all zk autohosts, which is managed on the website so admins are held accountable to each other. And when a player proves himself to be a trustworthy, reliable guy it is easy to make him an admin too.

So there is generally always someone around with the inclination and abilities to stop people from being jerks to newbies.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

1)no adding of individuals models.
Expecting someone to make 400 models before any of them are used in game is ridiculous.
Current count is 230/370.
Woohoo2

Post by Woohoo2 »

Wombat wrote:Or people could just shut up? Guess what takes less time/effort.

-Beherith
To make it clear, got perma ban for telling people, who yell at newbs to shut up and (according to behes pm) for not sharing my models.

good job o/
knorke

Post by knorke »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:There were some major problematic descisions made. 1 2 3 4
1) adding new models "as they are made" would basically mean double work: integrate them into BA and build BAR at the same time.
2) Not sure. imo players kind of messed up the 1v1 balance as well, when comet catcher was made the most popular map.
3) imo should limit to 4v4, there will "never" be two filled 12v12 rooms: the jump is too large. Basically limits player ingame count to 24-30. (zk has same problem)
4) Locking 3rd party widgets too early would have meant that a lot of stuff probally would never been made...
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

To make it clear, got perma ban for telling people, who yell at newbs to shut up and (according to behes pm) for not sharing my models.
No - the ban was for violating the forum etiquette rules, just as the message conveying the ban said.

Several people in this thread have suggested that newbs should not be yelled at, myself included. Such suggestions have not been discouraged in any way, by anyone.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Wombat wrote:I find it sad that getting 24h for smurfing, even if im ranked as vet, is apparently worse than racism (quoting vbs 'racism on the internet is just a talk', lol)
:roll: :regret:
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Woohoo2 wrote:
Wombat wrote:Or people could just shut up? Guess what takes less time/effort.

-Beherith

good job o/
Of course, the previous 20(!) warnings seemed to have nothing to do with your ban.

I requested you to share your models for BAR, to which you responded: "i laughed at you when you asked for my models, lol."

You have shown you have zero desire to contribute. You belittled the efforts of others to help make BA more friendly to newbies. You have provided no solutions to that effect either, with your intentions clearly being purely inflammatory.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”