Decline in BA players - Page 5

Decline in BA players

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Locked
User avatar
Jazcash
Posts: 5304
Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 17:39

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Jazcash »

knorke wrote:
@Jazcash: That actually would be a really neat thing. A question in the uninstaller...
Uninstaller? BA does not even have an installer. ;)
(hint: that makes installing the game harder)
I wasn't talking about BA, I was talking about Spring which has an installer and an uninstaller ;)
User avatar
scifi
Posts: 848
Joined: 10 May 2009, 12:27

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by scifi »

i actualy think the problem here, is decline in Spring players, rather than BA players but whatever............

Also zero-k increase in players hasnt been that mutch, BAs decline in players is the main reason ZK is on top of those grafics.
User avatar
Johannes
Posts: 1265
Joined: 17 Sep 2010, 15:49

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Johannes »

smoth wrote: I suspect a lot of people leave spring because their old assed/shitty on board... video card cannot run it.
Most integrated gfx cards of the last 5? years can run spring I think, at least if the settings are apropriately low. Even if the FPS isn't too good, it's still passable.

At least BA, probably different with some games with heavier effects it might get unbearable with just a few units shooting.
User avatar
Cheesecan
Posts: 1571
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 21:30

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

That's not really true. I have laptop with a dedicated graphics card, it is from late 2009. The FPS is down to single digits after mid game in large games (not cpu related, my cpu is as good as most desktops'). If I were to use the integrated intel card then FPS would be truly terrible. All my settings are on low I don't even have shadows turned on.

The first time I ever played spring was on a Radeon 9600 pro with a 2.5ghz athlon xp and as I recall the performance was great in 3v3. Not lowest settings either. I'm guessing if you tried that rig on current spring/ba it wouldn't be nearly as smooth today as it was back then.

You need a pretty new computer to play in the average 12+ player game of today. For sure a lot of people won't have a good enough computer that is why large games get so laggy in late game.
User avatar
albator
Posts: 866
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 14:20

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by albator »

Cheesecan wrote:That's not really true. I have laptop with a dedicated graphics card, it is from late 2009. The FPS is down to single digits after mid game in large games (not cpu related, my cpu is as good as most desktops'). If I were to use the integrated intel card then FPS would be truly terrible. All my settings are on low I don't even have shadows turned on.

The first time I ever played spring was on a Radeon 9600 pro with a 2.5ghz athlon xp and as I recall the performance was great in 3v3. Not lowest settings either. I'm guessing if you tried that rig on current spring/ba it wouldn't be nearly as smooth today as it was back then.

You need a pretty new computer to play in the average 12+ player game of today. For sure a lot of people won't have a good enough computer that is why large games get so laggy in late game.
try MT ?
User avatar
Licho
Zero-K Developer
Posts: 3803
Joined: 19 May 2006, 19:13

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Licho »

Yeah performance is worse and worse..
I sarted playing with geforce 4 series and athlon 2000 and it run fine in big games.

Now its sometimes laggy even on high end hw.
User avatar
Anarchid
Posts: 1383
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 04:31

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Anarchid »

I remember playing spring (mostly BA) a few (three) years ago on an old library machine (lowest settings ofc). It was not just bearable - it was quite playable unless in late game. And that wasn't nowhere near fresh by then.

Anyway, isn't there any benchmarking to check how bad it is in numbers? Nostalgia can be faulty.
User avatar
Cheesecan
Posts: 1571
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 21:30

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

Satirik
Lobby Developer
Posts: 1688
Joined: 16 Mar 2007, 18:27

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Satirik »

1 billion lua script later, spring is slower, sure it is, but don't forget we used to play spring in 5v5 at 0.2 speed in late games, now it plays at 1.0 speed the whole game because the slower pc doesn't slow the game as it used to
User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by knorke »

You need a pretty new computer to play in the average 12+ player game of today. For sure a lot of people won't have a good enough computer that is why large games get so laggy in late game.
The sad thing is that many of the players who lag in those large games could enjoy smaller games just fine. :?
User avatar
albator
Posts: 866
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 14:20

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by albator »

Large game are not the issue, large game played on overcrowded maps with too much dispareted level are. FFA are extremely fun to play, probabily the only reason i keep playing spring and MT made that doable for PC >= 2009 since first quad cores. Just a matter of education about what to play to have fun: noob surely dont know that, even some vet still dont know. Role of admins should be to drive them the right way:

-> http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26812

keep the beating on :D
User avatar
very_bad_soldier
Posts: 1387
Joined: 20 Feb 2007, 01:10

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by very_bad_soldier »

albator wrote:FFA are extremely fun to play, probabily the only reason i keep playing spring
Fun fact: I am considering 20 players FFA to be even worse than overcrowded DSD because its even more random. I know I am quite alone with that opinion. But people who are disliking DSD are also a minority while the majority would also say "16v16 DSD is extremely fun to play".
I dont say FFA should be banned to save spring though.
I am still close to quit spring/BA since currently it seems there is only 16v16-DSD and 20-player-FFA left.
User avatar
Cheesecan
Posts: 1571
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 21:30

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

albator wrote: -> http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26812

keep beating off :D
Whoa, easy there pilgrim!

Imho FFA being popular is good for spring. If one game mode can draw 12+ people on an evening(sadly this is an awesome number today) then it should be treated like a golden egg. FFA should probably be divided into newbie and pro though as you say since pros roflstomp newbies into tears in a minute or two, which can't be fun for the newbies.
User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14650
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Forboding Angel »

AF wrote:Actually, if we look at the graph we see ALL games are dieing ( except Zero-K ).

Instead of 'save spring' it should be 'copy Licho'. He seems to know what he's doing.
ZK has ZKLobby. None of the rest of us can emulate that. The lobbies we use are lolz in comparison. It's no great shock that zk is doing just fine.

Evo would be doing great, but I can't retain online players. #1 complaint, "Lobby wtf is this I don't even..."
User avatar
Cheesecan
Posts: 1571
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 21:30

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

Forboding Angel wrote: Evo would be doing great, but I can't retain online players. #1 complaint, "Lobby wtf is this I don't even..."
You want an Evo lobby? PM me.
User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20686
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by AF »

I think the one thing everyone has seriously overlooked was the recent utter death of XTA according to the graph.
User avatar
Cheesecan
Posts: 1571
Joined: 07 Feb 2005, 21:30

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by Cheesecan »

AF wrote:I think the one thing everyone has seriously overlooked was the recent utter death of XTA according to the graph.
Oh lol now that you mention it.. I think a lot/all of XTA players went to ZK though it was always the same couple of dudes who played XTA.
User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by knorke »

though it was always the same couple of dudes who played XTA.
yea..a few games are played every odd evening at least. So not much, but regular and since a long time. Since some weeks its a bit fucked because 2 mod versions. Also much blabla between games.
User avatar
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer
Posts: 7031
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 13:08

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by zwzsg »

User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

Re: Decline in BA players

Post by knorke »

User has been warned for this post. Felony 5
Locked

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”