Gadget suggestion

Gadget suggestion

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Aero

Gadget suggestion

Post by Aero »

I thought quite a bit about this, and I know it will have some bugs that will need to be worked out, and possibly some limits that will have to be enforced, but I think it could be worthwhile anyways. Since we have a building that has a guard function (Nano turret) that allows for the distribution of resources, I'd like to see a similar gadget that could be used with economical buildings. For example: I'm pushing in the front, but also making units in the back. I need a constant amount of resources for my commander that won't fluctuate so I can build LLTs and radar quickly, and some M and E for my T1 con for HLTs. I'd like to be able to allow a metal extractor/maker or any E-producing device to guard a unit, and provide only that unit with its output. Same could be for labs, thus my T2 lab receives the majority of my eco, and the berthas I'm building will receive the leftovers, thus efficiently prioritizing eco. I know there could be some serious bugs, (what happens when you set a storage building to guard a unit, or if you set a fusion to guard snipers or spy bots?) but I think the general concept deserved to be heard.
Wombat

Re: Gadget suggestion

Post by Wombat »

active/passive ?
Aero

Post by Aero »

No, if you set (i.e.) a solar to guard an LLT, that solar won't produce E for any other device but that LLT.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Tl;DR
allow me to assign individual resource distribution.

spring doesn't work this way and would require a custom resource system.
knorke

Post by knorke »

would require a custom resource system
which is entirely possible and done somewhat in zeroK.
I see more of a problem how you would represent ingame what unit is providing resources to what other unit.
With nanoturrets you have the flying nano particles so it is easy to see...but how would it look like if a wind farm transfers all its energy to a commander?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Not saying it is impossible just saying that he would need a much larger change for this.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

im against that idea becouse :

- ba already got few tools that help eco managing (mm widget/gadget, passive/active, nostall dgun (or something like that))

- eco managing is one of the most important things in rts games. ba got already many widgets/gadgets which make it too easy and simply 'dumber'.

- estall is rarely any problem in ba as long as ur solars are not raped / u are not complete noob (actually noobs make more e than they need --> adv solar spam)
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

"Economy Management" is pretty broad; I don't see anything about his proposal that couldn't be called that. It's just economy management on a higher level, in the programming sense, where you are more concerned with what you are doing than how you are doing it.

Really really cool idea Aero but probably your only chance of this happening is to fork BA and write it yourself. Or else possibly design a new game around it. :)
Petah

Post by Petah »

I remember a feature in CA (or was it ZeroK) that allowed you to set a percentage (or priority) on which builder got the most build power/resources. That was nice.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

I'd like the very simple: commander has absolute priority to resources.

Makes him more special;
- in-base (use him to redirect resource priorities even when stalling m/e)
- on the front lines (he wouldn't slack off spending 5 mins to make a radar tower)
Lolsquad_Steven

Post by Lolsquad_Steven »

:shock:
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

http://code.google.com/p/zero-k/source/ ... iority.lua

Does exactly what you want without the confusing guard interface.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Google_Frog wrote:http://code.google.com/p/zero-k/source/ ... iority.lua

Does exactly what you want without the confusing guard interface.
This is where I got the active/passive idea from, which is BA's implementation of the concept

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”