Balanced Annihilation 7.42 - Page 6

Balanced Annihilation 7.42

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

BaNa

Re: Balanced Annihilation 7.42

Post by BaNa »

dansan wrote: BTW: same goes for maps: some have ground that is fast for kbots or veh. But there is no way to know about it (except reading map source code or experimental). Having something like the hightmap or M-map that indicates special ground would be nice. It's important for tactics, so I'd like to know about it before the game starts.

Sorry... two feature requests in one posting (possibly in the wrong thread)... what would be the right place for this?
I wouldn't want to derail but a quick answer to this: if you look at the tooltip with the pointer hovering over the terrain, you will find that there are 4 numbers in a row, usually 1 1 1 1, sometimes 0,8 1,2 1 1 and so on. These tell you how much the movement speed gets multiplied by for the four movement classes: tank kbot hover water (maybe kbot tank)
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

And f2 view shows typemaps relevant to the selected unit too, not just passability.
Manmax

Post by Manmax »

I totally aagree with dansan; actually, I did not know about ground special effect on units speed. How could I have known? There are a lot of hidden features like this one and the special damages ability in ba, it seems. It could be more intuitive for new players or more transparent through a tutorial.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Awesome, I got online to see how the new changes worked out.

erryone playing 7.31... you guys SO gave it a real shot. The stubbornness of ba players is amazing.
Nixa

Post by Nixa »

In my timezone last night the only host was hosting 7.42 so I blame the stubborn europeans :P. But in all seriousness I haven't seen many of the autohost owners on to actually change the autohosts.

Plus its still bugged = fail

The fixes have been done so why a new one hasn't been released I don't know
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

BaNa & Johannes: Thanx for the info.

The tooltip info is good - I never knew what that part of the tooltip is good for :) But doesn't help for a strategic overview.

I tried F2, but it does not become clear to me. Are the different shades of green passability and speed? If yes - not clearly enough distinguishable for me :)

Most important: I do need to select a unit to see it, while I'd like to see it before game start, where I decide which lab to build.

So it seems the code is there, just needs its own screen F13 ;) or something. Maybe also in lobby client.
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

I'm not sure if it is a problem unique to this version, but the other day my Arm t1 submarine had severe problems hitting a Core t1 construction ship.

The ship was stationary and in vision and sonar range of the sub, which was also stationary. The sub fired for about 4 minutes without hitting, during which time the boat was able to build sonar and a torpedo launcher. The torpedoes were fired directly towards the side of the boat and seemed to pass straight through its centre.

What use is a sub that canÔÇÖt hit a ship? Is this because the Core construction ship is actually a hovercraft or could it be something to do with the new bobbing system?
smoth

Post by smoth »

If it was a hovercraft it could go on land Aries. Sounds like a collision issue with the ship.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Also, iirc hovers *can* be hit and damaged by torpedos - it's just that torps don't get fired at hovers.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Having something like the hightmap or M-map that indicates special ground would be nice.
dansan wrote:I tried F2, but it does not become clear to me. Are the different shades of green passability and speed? If yes - not clearly enough distinguishable for me :)
yes. the green-red gradient on slopes shows how much the unit will be slowed down by going up the ramp.
Better typemap display was discussed here (http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25852) with result that mappers should just use more obvious textures. A widget would be possible too, if somebody does it.
I like units having special strength/weakness/armor against others. To take advantage of it, it's necessarily to have it documented.
One way to make players aware of it would be to write unit descriptions, guides etc. Another way would be to scale weapons/explosions to the damage they do, make lasers more clearly color coded etc. Which is kind of close to what CA/zeroK is doing since quite a time...

torpedo missing ship:
could it be something to do with the new bobbing system?
unlikely, unless the hitbox gets moved by the animation script as well, which would be unusual to do.
I think it happend in old version too sometimes and while I did not zoom in close I always thought it was due to inaccurate sonar targeting.
smoth

Post by smoth »

knorke wrote:
I like units having special strength/weakness/armor against others. To take advantage of it, it's necessarily to have it documented.
One way to make players aware of it would be to write unit descriptions, guides etc. Another way would be to scale weapons/explosions to the damage they do, make lasers more clearly color coded etc. Which is kind of close to what CA/zeroK is doing since quite a time...
don't fergot me!
djmad

Post by djmad »

Nice patch Beherith,

nice coding, specaly the energy_conversions and mex snaper

sorry that everyone is still playing 7.31,

may take back some of the upgrades and put them together in a 7.43

commander emp-able is is kinda to easy or the comm empresistance is to weak, may change some . for me thats the worst change of all, enemy not transportable is a good thing (but it should be a server setting)

thx for this awesome work
Nixa

Post by Nixa »

djmad wrote:commander emp-able is is kinda to easy or the comm empresistance is to weak, may change some.

thx for this awesome work
Com stun was a typo, has been fixed. Sorry about the bugs, obviously with such a step forward some things need ironing out.

[PinK]8D

Post by [PinK]8D »

smoth wrote:Awesome, I got online to see how the new changes worked out.

erryone playing 7.31... you guys SO gave it a real shot. The stubbornness of ba players is amazing.

ba had been balanced for many years step by step. But some dudes desided they are true genuis & started making new failmode using the name of ba. this must not be done this way. Make some votes & discussions before any change. restricting units, cuting 25%, 300% hp, 33% of range is this wise i wonder? Optimisation things are nice :D.
Last edited by [PinK]8D on 28 May 2011, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

[PinK]8D wrote:

ba had been balanced for many years step by step. But some dudes desided they are true genuis & started making new failmode using the name of ba. this must not be this way.
so instead of trying it you simply reject it based on concept not actual play. AWESOME OF YOU.
Ataman

Post by Ataman »

I'm pretty sure everyone keeps playing 7.31 because 7.42 is horrible with ATI-Drivers. Yeah the changelog says something about fixed ATI-Issues, I don't see any fixes tbh.

By horrible I mean you can't even play 10 seconds without crashing. I got 3 guys with different ATI-Cards in my clan and all 3 aren't able to play the new version.
[PinK]8D

Post by [PinK]8D »

smoth wrote:
[PinK]8D wrote:

ba had been balanced for many years step by step. But some dudes desided they are true genuis & started making new failmode using the name of ba. this must not be this way.
so instead of trying it you simply reject it based on concept not actual play. AWESOME OF YOU.
i tryed it no warries dude. but i cant see u playing any ba old or new one.

if people want do crazy changes new mod is the way to try it. hope noone want examples of fail mods that have no players?
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

oops
Last edited by very_bad_soldier on 28 May 2011, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Ataman wrote:I'm pretty sure everyone keeps playing 7.31 because 7.42 is horrible with ATI-Drivers. Yeah the changelog says something about fixed ATI-Issues, I don't see any fixes tbh.

By horrible I mean you can't even play 10 seconds without crashing. I got 3 guys with different ATI-Cards in my clan and all 3 aren't able to play the new version.
Thats due to an incompatibility in the mex snap widget. The fix didnt make it into the last release by accident. Disable the mex snap widget manually in the widget menu (F11) until the next release (hopefully tomorrow).
smoth

Post by smoth »

[PinK]8D wrote:i tryed it no warries dude. but i cant see u playing any ba old or new one.

if people want do crazy changes new mod is the way to try it. hope noone want examples of fail mods that have no players?
<- points at join date. played ba since the begining. Played in jaz's little ba tournament. I've been around. Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it doesn't happen. However, you guys didn't give the new ba a week before you called it crap. I gave the old ba YEARS. come back again some time thank you.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”