BA model replacements - Page 38

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Beherith

Re: BA model replacements

Post by Beherith »

in fact, emp is yellow.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

since when ? i meant emp effect of already hit unit and emp bomber. dunno whats the color of drone tho. would look strange to have more lasers of same color, i like how u can recognize their power.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Emp'd units are blue, emp lasers and bomb blasts are yellow. This inconsistency can and will be fixed.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

And Bantha has blue plasma projectiles atm.
crazy dave

Post by crazy dave »

if the plasma bullets are to be changed is there a way of getting more of a particle effect to them.

and allthough this topic is about modeling what about changing the sound of the robots slightly, to something off of terminator salvation those robot sounds are sick.
smoth

Post by smoth »

crazy dave wrote:if the plasma bullets are to be changed is there a way of getting more of a particle effect to them.
yes but people will baw about losing 1 fps to all of it.
crazy dave

Post by crazy dave »

Also is there a way of adding tracers to the plasma bullets to make them look more disruptive and realistic. I'm sure that won't have an major effect on performance. I just find the plasma balls look still, boring and slightly cartoonish.

a brawler would look so much cooler firing with fast tracer like plasma bullets.
smoth

Post by smoth »

smoth wrote: yes but people will baw about losing 1 fps to all of it.
Aether_0001

Post by Aether_0001 »

Just for reference: (Long post warning)

Lasers
Blue (High)
Green (Medium)
Red (Low)
Yellow (Scout-type or EMP)

Arm Specific
Lightning
Gray rocket trails
More EMP weapons
Way more blue lasers than core (I think, especially since krog laser got changed)

Core Specific
Flame thrower
"Heat Lasers" - Orangey ish
Blackish rocket trails
Green lasers on moving units (Ships, Hovers, Kbots, Krows, etc)

I thought Black Hydra with green lasers was fine, but if you wanted to change it you could possibly change to rockets (Arm Epoch has plasma already, unless you plan on changing that too.)

You could also use flamethrowers (although long-range flamethrowers actually would look funny, unless you completely change them to look like this [i wouldn't recommend])

I may have forgotten stuff in my above lists.

Bantha blue plasma is an outlier, it could probably be unified with the others by making it yellow, or making all arm unit plasma blue, although i'm not quite sure how that would look in the end.

I support adding tracers to plasma btw, as long as FPS doesn't get totally annihilated by it - minus 2 fps is fine with me.
P1h3r1e3d13

Post by P1h3r1e3d13 »

P1h3r1e3d13 wrote:I also had a couple smallish critiques about individual designs as I was reading the thread. I'll skim back through and pull out anything I think can be constructive.
At the risk of being another too-late critic, I'm still going to throw these out. (^^^I promised!) Even if you'd rather push ahead than tweak Core buildings, it'll make me feel better to get these out of a local note and into the thread. Sorry if I'm commenting on discussions you considered finished weeks ago.
(Before someone tells me to fix them myself, I wish I could but I haven't the slightest idea how to even get started.)

Here we go, in no particular order:
  • I'm definitely pro-tarmac. It looks nice, helps me understand what the place is for, and is more interesting than more of the gray texture.
  • The aircraft plants don't look like aircraft plants to me. The distinguishing feature that they're missing is control towers. Every real-life airport has them, OTA and BA have them, and they're pretty unmistakable as being airplane-related.
  • OTA and BA shipyard are directional. You'll note that they all have one corner tower that is taller/larger than the rest. It is important to be able to distinguish this visibly because it's relevant to gameplay. It's relevant to gameplay because ships are built facing a certain direction and it's faster for them to move out of the yard in that direction.
    I think this one is pretty important to gameplay and a pretty easy fix, so if you're going to humor me on any of these, please fix this.
  • Perhaps I'm not seeing your vision for the t2 kbot factory; where do the units build? There is no tarmac or interior, as with all other factories.
  • Have you considered unit footprints and heights vs. factories' build areas? It seems like some of your factories may be too closed-in. If so, units might clip or get stuck. If you've already considered this, ignore this point.
  • The nuke building looks rather too generic. In OTA and BA, one of those distinguishing features we discussed is that large, flat area = large missile launcher. I think that would be worth continuing, unless you have a replacement feature to tie large missile launchers together. If you do, I'm not seeing it....
  • Another distinguishing feature (that I mentioned before) is thin/pointy barrels for lasers; large, cylindrical ones for plasma; and short, fat cylinders for rockets and small missiles. It's a little worrisome to me that you seem to be ignoring this completely in the unit models.
    I think it is essential to keep this correspondence, so ignore what I wrote about the shipyard; this is the most important thing in this list (and the one that mostly covers stuff you have yet to do).
  • The underwater fusion plant is way too plain for one of the most advanced and expensive buildings in the game. In fact, looking through your finished model screenshot, I can't even figure out which one it is. Please make it look more like the other fusion plants.
    One of those glowy balls would be great, maybe inside a transparent bubble?
  • I have to register my dislike of the up-and-down concept for metal extractors. To me, that says ÔÇ£pumping liquidsÔÇØ as in oil wells. A spinning device seems more like ÔÇ£drilling,ÔÇØ as in mines, as in solids, as in metal.
    Or maybe I'm just to stuck in the old ways....
    Also, is the armed one going to be shooting from a varying hieght as its gun goes up and down on the pumping part? That won't work.
  • The dome look for a solar facility just doesn't seem right. That dome says nothing to me so much as ÔÇ£nuclear.ÔÇØ
    Maybe it's just because I live near this:
Thanks again for all your hard work and for including the community in the process!
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

If anyone was wondering what I was thinking on why some of the T3 mechs weapons look different, its to reflect the 'Experimental' part of the factory and make them a little different from t1 and t2 effects where possible; if the new team wants to standardise them I'd consider it a shame myself.

There is room for improvement on most effects anyway tho..
Nixa

Post by Nixa »

I agree with TFC on that, they should be different from other weapons. Maybe even more so than they are now? (except the terma-krog lazor which is :? )

As for effects well yeah they could use a make-over in some respects (especially muzzle flares which are default for most units). Lucky I've already done those so it should just be a copy paste + few lines here and there job :-)
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

I go away for a month and come back to this, the amount of work and quality you've churned out is absolutely stunning, keep it up Bob.

For a minor critique, the narrow front end of the enforcer looks really odd and out of place.

Really not much to say though, my inner TA-fanboy is resistant to some of the changes but I know these will be better in the end, once I get used to them, love your consistency.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Tanks are almost done.
crazy dave

Post by crazy dave »

cool, hope core tanks a beefy

show me the golly :D

won't you have to do some temporary wreckage's for the models too?
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

I think at least for the time being they're leaving wreck models up to the community, at least that's what I gathered from Behe's posting. I may pitch in on that if help is needed, btw, where can I download the models?
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

I assume 'heap' in the spreadsheet is wreck models? Do those need to be done? Because I'd be happy to start working on them.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

is there no way to kind of generating wreck models on unit death?
With this, one could prevent stuff like the turret of a tank pointing in the opposite direction on the wreckage, compared to right before its death. It would also prevent one from having to do wreckage models at all, it would prevent wrong wreckage models in case of the model changing, and wrong size of wreckages. What i mean is basically: disconnecting the movable parts of a unit, apply momentum, change texture. Of course there are problems, like how much to let them bounce? how to make them not spread out? ...
would that have to be done in the engine?
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

That aspect is all over my head, but couldn't the wreck have matching parts and have the placement/rotation of all those parts match the normal model when it dies?

As for actually generating wrecks, to at least have ones that looked decent you'd have to have some way of moving vertices, and doing that randomly without it looking totally wack would be a challenge enough just in itself, but even still it would probably be pretty resource heavy (though I could be wrong).

Either way, I'm not sure if Bob had specific plans for wrecks or if he was just going to figure it out once all the models were done.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”