BA model replacements - Page 2

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Mr. Bob

Re: BA model replacements

Post by Mr. Bob »

So I worked up a quick little model the minute ago just to see if we're on the same page about how close to the original models we are supposed to be. So is this close enough to the original viper, or does it need to be even closer? Its a very rough draft obviously, so don't worry we wont use this exact model.

This is how close to the originals we had in mind. Same weapon placements and general designs, but with ...well ya'know...more.
Attachments
Springpic1.png
(290.64 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

I am in love.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Mr. Bob wrote:So I worked up a quick little model the minute ago just to see if we're on the same page about how close to the original models we are supposed to be. So is this close enough to the original viper, or does it need to be even closer? Its a very rough draft obviously, so don't worry we wont use this exact model.

This is how close to the originals we had in mind. Same weapon placements and general designs, but with ...well ya'know...more.
yes yes yes.
One note, CORE units and structures should prob be a bit more "edgy" as opposed to roundish like ARM's stuff.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

So that model there is about 1k polies. It took about 25 minutes to make, and the wrap should be another 15 or so. (3ds max has an excellent work flow about it) So, it really shouldn't take too long to knock off a couple mesh jobs a day. I really doubt time will be an issue if we can get some good synergy and some nice workflows running.
One note, CORE units and structures should prob be a bit more "edgy" as opposed to roundish like ARM's stuff.
Ah ok. Thanks, I forgot about that.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Yeah that looks a bit like an ARM version of the viper(and a very pretty one).
Also aren't those tubes a bit too high poly?I'm all for making models that are future proof and maybe im wrong but maybe those tubes can have a just a bit less polygons?
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Gota wrote:Yeah that looks a bit like an ARM version of the viper(and a very pretty one).
Also aren't those tubes a bit too high poly?I'm all for making models that are future proof and maybe im wrong but maybe those tubes can have a just a bit less polygons?
Well, they are 6 sided. But the open sides are flipped up so it looks like a lot more.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

1K is fine for something like that. 1k is fine for most things really, just on units that get spammed a lot it should be closer to 500-700. (peewee, ak, pyro, stumpy, flash etc.) For defense structures 1k is no prob at all.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Mr. Bob wrote: Image
Mr. Bob wrote:Its a very rough draft obviously

This is enough to give me the impression you're well up to the job :mrgreen:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Jazcash wrote:As awesome as Kaiser's lego is, and regardless of how well it suits Evo, I don't think BA would be distinct enough with 368 units all made with the same lego pieces :P
Heh, you sir are totally unaware of the sheer amount of parts there are available in the lego set. Also, you use 2 atlases, 1 for each side, you obviously wouldn't use the same for both.

The actual parts themselves allow you to do whatever your imagination allows you to. Legos is really your only option for doing this sort of stuff without paying copious amounts of money or waiting for another 5 years.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I drew up a quick spreadsheet with all of ba's units. only 250 are ota and need remakes for legal reasons. Out of those, 50 are already done/claimed (with quite a few more i forgot about).

Great looking unit man! really nice stuff. you can easily splurge for 8 sided faces tubes as well.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

behe, what you're forgetting is that those extra 120 units are using TA textures, and as a result, fall under the IP stuff as well.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

And what you are forgetting is that I already have the framework in place to replace them with a touch of a button :wink:

The only reason s3o bump mapped ba hasnt been released yet is because of a minor shadow anomaly in the normal map shader.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Forboding Angel wrote:Legos is really your only option for doing this sort of stuff without paying copious amounts of money or waiting for another 5 years.
5 years is a very long time for 368 meshes with UVWraps. If I can manage about 6 or 7 models a day we should be done in around 2 or 3 months time. Keep in mind, this viper model was tower. Imagine how much faster things like kbots and tanks will take. As nice as the lego pack looks, it (for me anyway) doesn't really reflect the art style that the original game brought about. It looks more "cartoony". The art style we are shooting for is a very dark and almost industrial look for core, and a cleaner more militaristic look for arm. Sort of like the relationship between Harkonnen and Atreides from the Dune franchise.

Also, there is a big issue with me just filling in gaps in what needs to be done. The problem is, the art style is so ridiculously different that it would look a bit awkward (understatement) with all of it thrown together. Unfortunately, I think we will end up having to do every single unit. Also, Pyra is almost done with the first shared texture for core. We should be well on our way by tomorrow.
Last edited by Mr. Bob on 05 Dec 2010, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

excellent model; poly count is appropriate IMO

the 5 years is sort of an arbitrary amount taken from the amount of time CA has been around

no reason why a dedicated modeler or team couldn't accomplish this task though (my problem with making 3-4 models a day is that inspiration doesn't always strike)

pweeease work in groups of models, like make all of the defense structures at once... that way, if you do decide to quit, your models will still be very useable in terms of them being matching sets

best of luck!
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Mr. Bob wrote:If I can manage about 5 or 6 models a day we should be done in around a months time.
You do realise that you will need to texture and script those models? Look around, it usually takes at least a day to make a model including a texture for some of the more experienced modellers here. Scripting is another matter entirely.

By all means go ahead, but make sure you are realistic in your aims. Try doing a set of models like all of the CORE turrets perhaps? Awesome viper model btw.
pyra

Post by pyra »

me and mr bob are model addicts. we dont do anything else but model. in this case, ive taken up the job of texturing since mr bob cant make texture.
as for time constraints
lighttexture.jpg
texture wip
(191.43 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
this is what ive done since yesterday. its a CORE texture. as you can see, ive separated the texture in two parts for parts with alpha and parts without. the rest of the space will be dedicated to barrels, pipes, window, fans etc etc etc and mr bob can use any bits from that however he likes. it doesnt really take long for me to make a generic texture. once the texture is done, i can then make the normal and the specular fairly quick as well.

as for scripting. as KaiserJ already stated, we will model, texture and wrap and someone else can script it.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

HeavyLancer wrote:
Mr. Bob wrote:If I can manage about 5 or 6 models a day we should be done in around a months time.
You do realise that you will need to texture and script those models? Look around, it usually takes at least a day to make a model including a texture for some of the more experienced modellers here. Scripting is another matter entirely.

By all means go ahead, but make sure you are realistic in your aims. Try doing a set of models like all of the CORE turrets perhaps? Awesome viper model btw.
There are plenty of people around here, myself included, who would be totally willing to pitch in provided there is a way to keep a consistent style between models. Of course that's a big task in and of itself, but my point is that there's a ton of talent around here, particularly with modeling, and it just needs some focus.

I don't know much about how spring handles textures, but if you're going to do a whole faction with just a couple textures, couldn't you go bigger than 512x512? That would allow higher res and/or more space.
pyra

Post by pyra »

i guess mr bob decided on 512 size for sake of file size but 1024 is not a problem if people feel like it. but i havent had any problem with space so far considering that all the parts will be repeated between models
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Hey as long as it looks good I'm happy :-)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

hey, thats awesome, so you'll use a generic texture for many units? i applaud your strategy. nice style.

just a few suggests if this is indeed the case...

in evo we a 2048x2048 texture for an entire faction... so if you're going the route of a single texture, use the extra space! only people with very old pcs would have issues with it i would imagine; IIRC only graphics cards from the last century have limits for textures below that size

also looking at the scheme, i almost feel like you could do with a third tone of texture... maybe something bright and shiney to offset your nice dark grey. of course you models will look great with a two-tone scheme as you have currently, i've just had a lot of success with making models look different from a distance using a tri-tone scheme... teamcolor, "dark" and "light". idk. worth thinking about anyways, because it allows a lot of options even if you have a few units that are similar shapes. argh suggested this to me ages ago when i was working with a two tone scheme, and was very happy with the results after the change

and again, don't take this as me telling you what to do. it's just an exciting prospect to have an entire games worth of new units, and it sort of gets the imagination going. can't wait to see a textured result!

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”