BA model replacements - Page 7

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: BA model replacements

Post by KaiserJ »

4-way radar is a strange design, but no dealbreaker from where i sit

personally i like them, because i can see you exercised your creativity on the design and it comes across well. if i had to request anything in terms of design, i think it would be that i'd like to see the radars be taller (they have line of sight coming from the top of the unit in BA... dont they?)

more than anything i like seeing this sort of twist on a design, exercising your creativity and having fun rather than basing things primarily on crappy TA models
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

hoijui wrote: guys, stop asking the same questions all the time. they want to do all models, and they think it will take the 2-3 months time.
Think of it as a rhetorical question.
hoijui wrote: as in... they release all their stuff when finished, and then you can create alternatives yourself?
pyra wrote: thing with the license. that hasnt been discussed yet.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

KaiserJ wrote:i think it would be that i'd like to see the radars be taller (they have line of sight coming from the top of the unit in BA... dont they?)
Yes they have
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

I think from here on out we will post a wip every 30 models or so. Because, I'm loving the feedback, but it would go faster If I get it all in giant batches. That way I can fix things quickly and move on.
i think it would be that i'd like to see the radars be taller (they have line of sight coming from the top of the unit in BA... dont they?)
I'll get on that right away!
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

As you guys see, theres many opinions and personal preference. So probably it is just better keep going with your current way, as It seems working very well so far.

Don't get distracted too much! Just keep pushing these up and giving us the eyecandy.

It feels like golden age of *A mods. We have been waiting these for very long...
knorke

Post by knorke »

I like the 3 / 4 dishes radar, it could still rotate like the old model.
Only critic might be it looks like it only scans the sky because it is facing upwards and seems too low to the ground to detect ground units. The old model had the dish on a pole.
Not sure if players care for that.
But generally it is all very awesome and good that you also care what the models look like from afar / ingame. You might still want to put some models ingame to really see if the scheme works out as you thought. Will probally be ok but then the CA team had the same idea of easily identifiable units but imo failed a bit with this.
Gota

Post by Gota »

I have one major request.
Before you continue texturing the rest of the models please try out a a unit you finished texturing (liek the guardian for example) ingame and see how it looks from up close,from regular gameplay distance and from a bit further away.

The reason is that some of the previously made models look a bit blend from a distance even though up close they look great.
Perhaps adding a bit more contrast or some artificial lighting would bypass that issue(i assume its a spring engine lighting issue).
Nixa

Post by Nixa »

SirArtturi wrote:As you guys see, theres many opinions and personal preference. So probably it is just better keep going with your current way, as It seems working very well so far.
+1 million

As long as they look good afar and close, do what you want. If anyone has objections to some models I'm sure they could modify specific models themselves after you guys have finished.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

So, something like CC-BY-SA is in order? To be honest, I'm not exactly the most legally proficient person around. Creative Commons seems like the way to go...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i got one more suggestion.

use same, 1024x1024 texture for whole tier, like t1 kbots, or t2 defensive turrets. im sure that with proper unwrap u manage to fit even 10 models on same uvmap. putting one unit on 512 texture is epic waste of space (especially near edges). while using 1024 u can use this space for another model. i could help a bit with unwrapping, i think im pretty good at crazy mirroring
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

CC-BY-SA is fine.
pyra

Post by pyra »

umm we currently using 1024x1024 texture to be shared by pretty much the whole race it seems. If need arise, i can just make more textures but there are still room on the currrent texture.

oh right. CC-BY-SA is fine.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

pyra wrote:umm we currently using 1024x1024 texture to be shared by pretty much the whole race it seems
hmmm, ill wait for results, will be hard
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

You may freely and safely go for 2048*2048. Who knows - you might need the extra space :)
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Well, this is the texture...

Personally, I think any larger size is unnecessary.
Attachments
CORE-diffuse.jpg
(818.52 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

omg this begs for legos so badly.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Wombat wrote:omg this begs for legos so badly.
Shared textures usually do. :P
pyra

Post by pyra »

The red parts are obviously alpha-ed out.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

womby tbh this is different but comparable in my eyes, if i'd really thought about normalmaps and stuff before i started my legoness, i might have gone this route (which i think of, probably incorrectly, as bsp style)

love that you guys did the tri-tone scheme

i'll be interested to see how you guys handle big stuff like labs... different texture? moar polies? haha dont tell me, i like surprises 8)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

ah Kaizor, our legomaster !

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”