BA model replacements - Page 32

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Beherith

Re: BA model replacements

Post by Beherith »

Thanks for the textures, smoth.

Redford: feel free to fix things if you notice errors. (air plant already fixed btw)

Bob, ill try the distortion effect on the shield.

Edit: tried it, but the distortion effect seems to be too expensive at this scale, especially with shields being likely to be spammed. Too bad because it looked fun.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

I think it's good if units have more TC, so I can stop using "teamplatter" that really makes BA ugly.
(Thanx for all your work ofc!)
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I'd use UnitShapes even if TC coverage was increased.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Beherith wrote:Thanks for the textures, smoth.

Redford: feel free to fix things if you notice errors. (air plant already fixed btw)

Bob, ill try the distortion effect on the shield.

Edit: tried it, but the distortion effect seems to be too expensive at this scale, especially with shields being likely to be spammed. Too bad because it looked fun.
Hmm. Well it definetly needs to be changed, as the current one is basically a noise map with alpha that changes color. (Unless there is some effect I'm missing on my silly radeon card.)

The best way I could think of other than that would be to add camera based falloff + z wrapped falloff to a one sided sphere, and have everything self illuminated. (Like in supreme commander 2.) Or ofc, freznel shaders. But, that may be out of the question.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

would be awesome if shield was deformed by shots bouncing off it (like a trampoline.. best way i can think to describe what i mean)
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Oh also, I included a tweaked normal map in the pack. Places like the caution strips and the glow shouldn't have depth like that. Actually, come to think of it, neither should the holes. The holes should just be non specular too.
smoth

Post by smoth »

they are on my texture but that is not committed to the svn. waiting on behe
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

K the seaplanes are the only planes left. They will go rather quickly.

And just so you guys know, I went ahead and made the decision to completely redesign the "hovering" planes. Hovering being the ones that strafe around what they are building, or what they are attacking. Thus, each hovering craft will have different types of hovering extensions instead of wings. For instance, here is the krow and the rapier.

And here is the construction planes. And yes, I know these look really similar. But, don't worry, I have plans for the uvwrap that will definitely make them different from each other.

Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Looking awesome!
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

That Krow is pretty different from the original with limited fire arcs like that. And it kinda lacks the slow but strong feel of the krow, I think...
liamdawe

Post by liamdawe »

Looking really awesome keep up the fantastic work, looking forward to seeing them in-game :D
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Johannes wrote:That Krow is pretty different from the original with limited fire arcs like that. And it kinda lacks the slow but strong feel of the krow, I think...
If anything it looks slower and stronger. Krow looks like a plane not a flying fortress.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

wow... really nice all of this! :-)
BA feel like a totally new game!

i also think the krow looks well slow and strong enough, but the fire-arcs indeed do not fit to how it works in-game now, and the barrels do not look like lasers.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

krow wont work the same, until u allow lazors to shoot through body :) in classy krow, all 3 guns can shoot, no matter whats the position of krow
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

The limited firearcs may be a problem, but I dont think they are too serious.

Also, if you wish to add more texture space onto your UV map, by making it 2k by 2k, that wont be an issue at all, since I can batch linear transform the current model's UV maps.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

<3 the new krow. Far better than the original flappy piece of tinfoil that looked more fragile than a hurricane.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I love the new krow model, imo the limited firing arcs would finally make the krow having 3 lazors instead of 1 big one have a functional effect instead of cosmetic.
Petah

Post by Petah »

Krow: I think 3 individual lasers each with seperat targeting sound cool, but would require re-balancing

Rapier: To me, it look to big and clunky. I think it would be better thiner (or do I mean shorter/lower) or pehaps, give it a tail like a helicopter to even it out.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Krow lasers already target separate units unless you give a specific attack command.
smoth

Post by smoth »

If the front weapon is a non turret primary and the two side weapons do 180 left and right respectively you might have some interesting stuff.

Could add some good elements to gameplay imo.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”