BA model replacements

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Mr. Bob

BA model replacements

Post by Mr. Bob »

So seeing as how BA is basically a finished game, aside from some bugs and the obvious pathing issues, the only major area that needs some help is the unit models. So, me and an artist I know (PyramidHe@d) have decided to try and replace all the unit/structure models in game. Of course, neither of us have any experience in Lua or any coding for that matter so we basically are planning on just dumping some UVWrapped meshes here for anyone to use. Before we do any of these, we need some answers to some basic questions.

1. What poly range are you looking for? For reference, what amount of polies would you need to see on a peewee for example?

2. We plan on sharing textures between models. Say 4 textures per faction. Is there any problem with this?

3. How true to the original models would you like to have the new ones be? Obviously, they need the same weapons, but just in the design itself.

Lets be honest, the game really needs a face lift. Not only would it look nice, but I'm sure given some decent advertisement of the game (something spring never really had) we could really boost the player base. At the moment, its really hard to advertise such an ugly selection of assets.

I realize that several people have been talking about making a complete face lift, but as far as I can tell, no one has really done anything. Nothing that I can find anyway. And, being as we aren't dealing with any sort of really complex models (rts sci fi), 350 models shouldn't be too bad. Obviously, its going to take a substantial amount of time, but its completely doable.

I'll post a rar file with a few pics every 20 models or so.
pyra

Re: BA model replacements

Post by pyra »

pyramidhe@d here. yeah. i can do textures etc etc etc.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i'd say a good 150/TA BA models are already remade.

lab claims are good, CA dudes can tell you whats up as far as whats been remade already. not to say don't remake it all; but it would be cool if you filled in the missing spots before taking on the big mamma jamma.

anyways. wouldnt want to -tell you what to do- but i think for the most part people around here like seeing an artist take a good whack at something, rather than a straight up remake.

i've got some TA remakes stored away, mostly for arm. however, none of these centipede vaginas will even claim a single unit, let alone a lab... so aside from beh, you dudes are pretty much on your own as far as current stuff goes.

also GL with BA remakes, like i said about centipede vaginas, you'll get some of the worst possible responses even for an awesome model from this community because they love fetus penis.

if you can get a model made and textured and its cool, someone will script it for you

edit: fuck polygons; go 750 for a jeffy and upwards.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Did Fatty say he would replace the BA models once all the models are remade? 'Cause tbh, I can't that that happening, and in some ways, I wouldn't like to see it happening as most other *A games use newer models now anyway so BA will probably soon be the last active game made up of only OTA models, would be sad to see them all disappear after spending so much time with them :P

However, I was looking forward to playing BAR when it was finished, so of course, any progress towards model remakes is a good thing in my eyes, I just don't think BA is the best place for them.

BAR
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Yeah the problem is, atleast from what I've seen, the art that has already been made is made by different sets of people. So naturally, being as everyone has their own art styles, a lot of the art really doesn't fit together very well. Its like going to a restaurant and getting pizza, spaghetti, and a burrito. Its not that its bad food, it just doesn't go well with each other. I think we'll end up modeling it all.

We'll post some models before we go all out on this, don't worry.

As for BA reloaded, I guess it could be used there. It really doesn't matter to us. Just as long as BA gets a good face lift with a steady art style that fits.
Anarchianbedlam

Post by Anarchianbedlam »

Hey there, I'm friends of Bob and Pyra on another modding site, ill probably be helping them with this project. The recently got me interested in this game. Sounds like a fun project and I love modeling vehicles.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

ehh nice! :-)
yeah i recommend checking out BAR, and having a chat with mod devs at #moddev in the lobby.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I very much doubt you'll have the motivation to remake all the models in BA. There's around 368 models in BA atm. That means for it to take a year, you'd have to model, texture and animate at least one unit per day.

It's an awful lot of work, but if there's more than one of you, I'd suggest splitting up roles of modelling, texturing and animating to get a nice flow going. I still don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I can see it being very hard for you to have the morale to keep at this as it would take a lot of work and a long time without any pleasing outcome until they're all finished, unless people use them as they're developed ofc.

Anyway, if you still want to do this, I wish you the best of luck.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Mr. Bob wrote:Yeah the problem is, atleast from what I've seen, the art that has already been made is made by different sets of people. So naturally, being as everyone has their own art styles, a lot of the art really doesn't fit together very well. Its like going to a restaurant and getting pizza, spaghetti, and a burrito. Its not that its bad food, it just doesn't go well with each other. I think we'll end up modeling it all.
While I agree that a lot of stuff are a mish mash together, and that some stuff just might not be very good, I'm pretty sure there's still some stuff you can use together with yours. Though I don't know how much this is about wanting the end result and how much about just wanting to make models - if you don't mind doing more work then do it all, sure. Beherith did all (or almost all) core kbots for example, so they are coherent with each other at least, for example.
3. How true to the original models would you like to have the new ones be? Obviously, they need the same weapons, but just in the design itself.
Well artistically, everyones got an opinion how faithful it should be - if you look at the current playerbase as a whole I have no clue where the majority opinion is. Just go with what you prefer.

But there's other thing too, that the models affect gameplay. Where the weapons are positioned, is it ~same size so it can have same hitsphere as original, and so on. And if an opening animation is an essential part of the unit, like with the peewee, it should be possible to do. Sure you might take some freedoms, and on minor changes I don't think almost anyone will mind, as long as you don't make flashes shoot over each other or such.

GL!
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

1. 500-1k polies is a good ballpark figure. More means longer time to unwrap, texture, etc.
2. Sharing is good. Keep in mind that a unit can only have 1 texture assigned to it, but multiple models can have the same texture assigned.
3. Totally up to you. Inter-model and faction consistency is more important imo.
pyra

Post by pyra »

sharing textures hopefully means that the general colour scheme and the shape of the models will be restricted within each faction characteristics

the fact that the models take in only 1 texture is a slight inconveneince but we can work around it.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Imo you can very easily start from what Beherith, Cremuss and Mr.D left: Meaning basically all core kbots, most of the arm basic economy structures and core vehicles and labs are done.

Those models are top quality and the consistency is suprisingly good, since they are very loyal to OTA. Imo they fit very well each other.

So check them out before starting remodelling them all. That is unnessecary work imo. By following the basic frameworks of these models, you will get very consistent set no doubt...
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Well the last thing we want is 5 models of the same 20 units. If you must remodel everything, at least leave the models already done till last :P
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

If you need help I'll gladly pitch in, I'd love to get involved with an organized and motivated group. Are you going to be doing concepts or just working off of the OTA models?

As for consistency, imo it should be kept as close as possible, but I'm a huge fan of the OTA style so I can be safely ignored. :p Like others have said, pretty much just what you want since the community has no consensus on the subject.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

make a chart of lab claims. i'll sign up
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Can I get a link to a place that shows what has and hasn't been done? I can't seem to find it.

We'd love the modeling help but first, I think we'll end up making just a few units a/o buildings just so you guys can get familiar with the art direction.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Jazcash wrote:I very much doubt you'll have the motivation to remake all the models in BA. There's around 368 models in BA atm. That means for it to take a year, you'd have to model, texture and animate at least one unit per day.
Oh you silly sallies: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24683
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Mr. Bob wrote:Can I get a link to a place that shows what has and hasn't been done? I can't seem to find it.

We'd love the modeling help but first, I think we'll end up making just a few units a/o buildings just so you guys can get familiar with the art direction.
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22235

Most of the finished work is here. It's somewhat consistent although there are a few that don't match very well (croc and banisher most of all, imo of course..). But for the time being I'd recommend doing ones that haven't been remodeled, and then later if you want to redo some of the ones that have already been done I'm sure they'd be welcomed.

Probably a good place to start would be with commonly used towers and resource buildings that haven't been done yet. Things like LLT, HLT, Beamer, core adv and normal solar, etc.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

As awesome as Kaiser's lego is, and regardless of how well it suits Evo, I don't think BA would be distinct enough with 368 units all made with the same lego pieces :P
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Jazcash wrote:As awesome as Kaiser's lego is, and regardless of how well it suits Evo, I don't think BA would be distinct enough with 368 units all made with the same lego pieces :P
It doesn't necessarily have to. Beherith's kbots and MR.D's tanks would be fine for CORE, you could just use the Lego system to build the ARM units. That would get a lot of models done and out of the way, which gets BA closer to TAIP free status.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”