BA model replacements - Page 6

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Mr. Bob

Re: BA model replacements

Post by Mr. Bob »

Updated with spec and norm maps.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Holy Moly! You guys are gooood!!
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Wonderful stuff! I just have a single suggestion, if I may: Can you make the barrels look a bit more polished and light? We are extremely used to that from ta mods.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Heres a few more.

T1 jammer
T2 jammer
T1 radar
T2 radar

Attachments
Springpic5.png
(290.84 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Masure

Post by Masure »

Very nice ! especially the jammer !
Baracus

Post by Baracus »

Mr BoB, will you have my baby?
Nixa

Post by Nixa »

Beherith wrote:Wonderful stuff! I just have a single suggestion, if I may: Can you make the barrels look a bit more polished and light? We are extremely used to that from ta mods.
Oh my :shock: is this the first polite gesture ever made on the spring forum??????????

P.S. Amazing models, have you got an eta on a complete faction or set? :wink:
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Beherith wrote:Wonderful stuff! I just have a single suggestion, if I may: Can you make the barrels look a bit more polished and light? We are extremely used to that from ta mods.
Done! :D
2 or 3 months for all 368.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Im positively suprised how great that punisher came out with the textures. It looks worn out, and thats good.

But I agree with Behe, the guns needs to be steel, shinier stuff to pop out from worn out metal.

And, I dont like the radar. Four sided radar looks too massive. And for the advanced jammer you could get rid of the thing on the top, whatever it is, dunno. Anyway I think 4 of those panels make it enough to feel like advanced. Simple is sometimes better...
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

The dish of the radar looks nice, but I'd go with one dish, that moves around after scripting the animation.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Mr. Bob wrote:
Are you serious about this? You really want to redo them ALL?? Many modelers come and go here gifting some models (from time to time) but I doubt anybody ever aimed for DOING THEM ALL. And if they aimed for it they gave up after at most 20 models.
If you really do this you should be prepared for polygamy and many babys.
Masure

Post by Masure »

very_bad_soldier wrote:
Mr. Bob wrote:
If you really do this you should be prepared for polygaymy and many babys.
Fixed
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Good work :]

just asking (and I don't want to hear no drama) under what license will the models be released ?
pyra

Post by pyra »

ok. the thing with the jammers and the radar.
While we are making these models, there are two objectives
1. Look bloody good close up
2. Look distinguishable far out

By adding more detail the models become pretty > they make greate eye candies > they attract more people. By adding more detail and adding more stuff to bulk up the size also makes the models a lot more distinguishable. If the t2 jammer didnt have that thing at the top, i dont think it will be very distinguishable compared to t1 jammer. same thing with the radar.

besides. there are only T1 and T2, right? if you are going to have 2 tiers, might as well have something awesome. not something lukewarm and warm. it will be more satisfying for a player visually to have a decent jammer/radar and then an awesome jammer/radar.
if we take the other approach of simpler the better, we get decent and then decent with some decent bits repeated. basically, we would be cheapening the model and cheapening the player satisfaction of having something considerably better. game mechanic wise, it prolly have minimal difference but player satisfaction wise, it will make a considerable difference.

--------------------------------

speaking of making models. is there like a model archive for TA/CA/BA models? ive downloaded UpSpring but i couldnt find like an archive with all the models in it. someone suggested it will be easier if i just played the game but i dont really feel like opening up the game and playing to t2 just so i can see what a t2 construct bot looks like.

yes. i was just considering making the construction bots.

--------------------------------
thing with the license. that hasnt been discussed yet. in terms of legalities that is.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

http://planet-wars.eu/ModelBase/ << u can see all models/license and if anyone has remodelled them before.

To see ingame models you could always /cheat and /give all
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

You can extract the models straight from the BA mod file using 7zip or anything that can extract sd7 files. The models are all in the folder "Objects3d"
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

pyra wrote:ok. the thing with the jammers and the radar.
While we are making these models, there are two objectives
1. Look bloody good close up
2. Look distinguishable far out
Very reasonable objectives no doubt. But I namely was trying to form my opinion along these.

And what comes to upspring, I'm not sure whether this is very good to preview the units as they dont show up exactly like ingame. Mapwise its also good to choose one with default lighting settings so that the normal maps and speculars show up in regular way.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

SirArtturi wrote:And, I dont like the radar. Four sided radar looks too massive. And for the advanced jammer you could get rid of the thing on the top, whatever it is, dunno. Anyway I think 4 of those panels make it enough to feel like advanced. Simple is sometimes better...
The dish of the radar looks nice, but I'd go with one dish, that moves around after scripting the animation.
You should never judge the size of a model when it is untextured and it has no comparable points of reference. :D

If I get rid of the thing on the top, I must find something else to put up there. Simply doubling the little tower things on the side is going to create a problem of similarity. And, with 368 models, thats bad. So, I'd be happy to get rid of it provided I get something better to put up there.

As for the radar, you just want one dish and for it to spin? I guess I could do that, but it wont read well at all and it will be lopsided. I don't fully understand the reasoning here.

As Pyra pointed out, players want to see some form of "epic exaggeration" in every single model. It doesn't have to be in it's power or in it's size.

So, who else would like to see 1 dish spin around? I hate to just completely disregard one bit of opinion, but I need atleast 2 or 3 before I make such a drastic design change. If I can get more people to support the idea, I'll change it.

Thanks for your thoughts! Very helpful.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

guys, stop asking the same questions all the time. they want to do all models, and they think it will take the 2-3 months time. they seem to know what they are doing. i guess they did similar things already, as they are good and fast, and their reasoning for stuff seems coherent ...
wouldn't it be easy to change stuff like 4 dishes -> 1 dish, or the barrel thing on the punisher later on?
as in... they release all their stuff when finished, and then you can create alternatives yourself?
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

I don't fully like the t1 radar, not because of the dishes though - but the base looks quite sturdy, while imo the model should reflect the fact that it will die to just about any hit. And that it seems like it would have much larger footprint than the old radar.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”