BA model replacements - Page 3

BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: BA model replacements

Post by KaiserJ »

hey, thats awesome, so you'll use a generic texture for many units? i applaud your strategy. nice style.

just a few suggests if this is indeed the case...

in evo we a 2048x2048 texture for an entire faction... so if you're going the route of a single texture, use the extra space! only people with very old pcs would have issues with it i would imagine; IIRC only graphics cards from the last century have limits for textures below that size

also looking at the scheme, i almost feel like you could do with a third tone of texture... maybe something bright and shiney to offset your nice dark grey. of course you models will look great with a two-tone scheme as you have currently, i've just had a lot of success with making models look different from a distance using a tri-tone scheme... teamcolor, "dark" and "light". idk. worth thinking about anyways, because it allows a lot of options even if you have a few units that are similar shapes. argh suggested this to me ages ago when i was working with a two tone scheme, and was very happy with the results after the change

and again, don't take this as me telling you what to do. it's just an exciting prospect to have an entire games worth of new units, and it sort of gets the imagination going. can't wait to see a textured result!
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Oh by the way, does spring support animated textures? I'd rather tanks not look completely ridiculous on walk animations... Then again, I could always just make two wheels on the end and cover the top with a armor plate. Still, would be nice.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Yes
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Hobo joe.. No it doesn't. Not at all.
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

So, spring has does not support animated textures? How does everyone make tank treads roll? Just wheels?
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Animation scripts can replace textures I think, look at the scripts on MR.D's CORE tanks with treads.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

in evo we use wheels, the other methods involve making several tread pieces and a lot of show/hides in the script.

Synopsis, save yourself a lot of time and use wheels and armor plates etc.
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Forboding Angel wrote:Hobo joe.. No it doesn't. Not at all.
Then what makes the textures on tanks move?
Mr. Bob

Post by Mr. Bob »

Heres a couple hours of work. I'll finish the rest of the core towers tomorrow. And yes, I'm going to make them in batches. Towers, buildings, vehicles, kbots, etc.

Ones in the back are 1k polies. Ones in front are 500 polies.

These are remakes of:

SAM
Viper
HLT
Punisher
LLT
DLLT
Pulverizer
Energy Storage tower
Attachments
Springpic2.png
(438.22 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Hobo Joe wrote:Yes
i hope jesus strangles you with the shroud of turin

ye batches ftw
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Mr. Bob wrote:Awesome stuff
Really good job there. All they need now are textures and scripts :D
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

HOLY CRAP!
Excellent work guys, those are absolutely amazing!

For animating tank treads: (so they can be done in a vertex shader, not through BOS/COB)
just a small hint for easier adding of the feature:
To animate tank treads it's the best to have the uv coords be across the full texture (e.g. the edges of the rectangle should be on the left and right border of the texture).
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Those are amazing. Part of me wants to say that some of them are a little too far from the originals but I know I can't cramp your style :p

Regardless, they're awesome and that's a very impressive amount of quality work for such a short time. I friggin love the punisher, the only problem is that now it looks really powerful when it's actually weak :D
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Somebody warn me if a pic with these textured appears in this thread. I don't keep tissues handy.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Nice models.

All easily identifiable and similar to the OTA models. Imo its fine if you make the models a bit different to the OTA models as some of the models are uninspiring to say the least. As long as the style is consistant.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Great stuff 100% keep it up.
pyra

Post by pyra »

the whole texture might take a while since ive expanded the texture to be 1024 like kasiserJ suggested. now space is definitely now a problem.
i am steadily texturing bits and pieces. once thats all done, mr bob shouldnt take long to wrap the models.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

wow...
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

They look good indeed. Maybe not as loyal to old TA models I would have wished but nah, I think these work just fine since they are consistent each other, and that is most important.

Anyway, although great in detail, you could get rid of the smallest details on gun barrels for example.

Models will be looked from pretty far distance most of the game, So It's more important to think about the big picture, and how they will look from distance than from from this kind of close combat total war camera angle.

Whatsoever, You did it amazingly fast and amazingly great. Keep it up! And can't wait them to see textured by pyra. GL and god speed!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Looks great, and the extra polys won't hurt anything.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”