May be worth considering donations

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Beherith

Post by Beherith »

For this kind of stuff:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/sci ... 3ds/281747

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I ... /ID/210663

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I ... /ID/203850

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I ... /ID/195361

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/sci ... 3ds/209189

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/war ... 3ds/570185

The prices are about 20$ per model. All consistent, excellent looking stuff. A 100 models would run us about 2000$ (which is less than a month's worth of salary for a modeler)

Possible donation models could include naming rights per unit cost donated, and free distribution of team color patterns.
Pxtl

Re: May be worth considering donations

Post by Pxtl »

Yes, but you'd have to check on re-licensing limits. After all, it would mean that people couldn't make BA-sub-mutators. Hell, the modeler might not be okay with you redistributing your content in a free package.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

A. License Grant for transmission of Content from Seller to Member

For any transmission of Content from a Seller to another Member, whether the transmission was the result of a license or free download, the following terms apply:
1. Ownership.

Unless explicitly provided for in custom license terms set forth in the area provided by TurboSquid and which must be subject to acceptance by Member before or at the point of sale, the Seller retains, subject to any license agreement between the Seller and TurboSquid, copyright in Content purchased or downloaded by any Member via TurboSquid. In using the TurboSquid systems and Website, you agree that any additional EULA, license, custom license, or Seller requirements inserted into Seller products in any area outside that explicitly provided by TurboSquid are invalid, void ab initio, and without effect as they relate to those purchases.
2. Valid License.

Any license rights relating to Content For Sale via TurboSquid are contingent upon the transfer of money from the Member to the Seller. All license rights terminate immediately and without notice if a sale is reversed for any reason.
3. Rights Granted.

The Seller grants to the Member who either purchases license rights to Content via a Valid Sale, or downloads freely available Content submitted by the Seller, a non-exclusive, worldwide, license in any medium now known or hereinafter invented to: (a) reproduce, post, promote, license, sell, publicly perform, publicly display, digitally perform, or transmit for promotional and commercial purposes; (b) use any trademarks, service marks or trade names incorporated in the Content in connection with Seller material; and (c) use the name and likeness of any individuals represented in the Content only in connection with Your material. The Member license to Content in this paragraph is limited to Incorporated Content. Such use or republication, including sale or distribution of Content that is not Incorporated Content is prohibited. For illustration, approved distribution or use of Content as Incorporated Content includes, but is not limited to:

(i) As rendered still images or moving images; resold as part of a feature film, broadcast, or stock photography.

(ii) As part of a game if the Content is contained inside a proprietary format and displays inside the game during play.

(iii) As Content published within a book, poster, t-shirt or other item.

(iv) As part of a physical object such as a toy, doll, or model.
4. Rights Not Granted.

Absent a written grant of rights greater than that contained in paragraph 3 above, all other rights or sub-divisions of rights generally included in copyright are excluded from this license and remain the property of Seller.
5. Resale.

The resale or redistribution by the Member of any Content obtained from TurboSquid, whether For Sale or freely available for download, whether part of a Valid Sale or not, is expressly prohibited unless it is Incorporated Content as licensed above.
6. Returned Content.

In the event a Member returns any Content, whether acquired by Valid Sale or freely available for download, all license rights granted herein terminate and the Member must immediately destroy any and all copies contained on any type of media under the control or possession of the Member.
I'm really bad at legalese, but I think point 3/ii has us covered. Can s3o be considered proprietary in this case?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I just worry what happens when somebody starts making derivative versions of your TAIP-free Balanced Annihilation re-make, or when whoever is the official "customer" of the vendor abandons the project and it has to get re-bundled into "ReBalanced Warfare"
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

I just worry what happens when somebody starts making derivative versions of your TAIP-free Balanced Annihilation re-make...
It might be possible to get the models licensed to Spring as a whole, in which case all mods could use them.
Sucky_Lord

Post by Sucky_Lord »

why in the hell do we need to fork out $2000 for this when currently you can win any game with combom

.. inb4 NOT 1V1 !!!!1!!!!1!!1
smoth

Post by smoth »

I actually loled at that post.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Beherith wrote:The prices are about 20$ per model. All consistent, excellent looking stuff. A 100 models would run us about 2000$ (which is less than a month's worth of salary for a modeler)
Last time I did a count on BA units, it was 367.

So let's say ~350 unique models.

:regret:
caldera

Post by caldera »

he also offers some free stuff, if someone likes to test:
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I ... /ID/203851
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I know full well how many models BA has, thank you. Nowhere did I say or imply it would be a complete replacement.

Kitbashing and minor modifications can increase the number we can obtain from them.

There are already a bunch of available assets that can be used/are used in BAR (mr. ds, cremusses stuff)

Edit: I am willing to put in 300$ to start this project up. What I'm interested in is whether anyone else likes the models enough to consider donating?
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Tbh, if you ask me, buying these are waste of money.

Not that they look bad, but they just dont fit in the big picture. If, ofc, you are planning these to replace OTA models.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Buying models takes all the fun out of making them.
Masure

Post by Masure »

Which won't happen
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

All you guys need to do is get 2 or 3 modelers together, use kaiser's legos, and you can redo the entirety of BA in a month. The lego texture atlas is easily changed, so making the texture fit *A would be a fairly simple job.
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Forboding Angel wrote:All you guys need to do is get 2 or 3 modelers together, use kaiser's legos, and you can redo the entirety of BA in a month. The lego texture atlas is easily changed, so making the texture fit *A would be a fairly simple job.
This.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

it gonna work only if THC replace ba models, ppl gonna bitch @ kaiser legos so much :/ (and i mean ba, not bar or w/e)
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Big important note: You can get these models from the authors site, here, for a third of the price:
http://www.3drt.com/3dm/3d_vehicles.htm

Their liscence agreement:
You are not permitted to:

1) Market, distribute, give, transfer, sell or sublicense the products in any format with the exception of a compiled application such as a video game. If the products are used in a compiled application then the following rules must be strictly followed:

a) The products must be a part of the compiled program.
(files should not be accessible in their native formats (.3ds, .max, .X, .FBX, .dts etc. ) from your program folder)

b) Every possible attempt should be made to protect the products from theft by using resource encryption or some other form of concealment.
(basic archive encryption will suffice)

2) sell or distribute the modified products in any format except as part of a compiled application (See line 1 above for compilation terms).
I dont think that s3o could be considered a proprietary format, given that spring itself is open source, though you'd have better luck asking the spring developers. Its easy to reverse engineer.

I've seen another game, AstroMenace, who uses this content and tried to release it under the GPL. They released their sound, GUI, and about 6 models (of weapons, not ships) but said they could not release the larger bulk of the content due to conflicts with the original licence holder.

Unless 3drt are ideologically opposed to GPL and open source software, there should be no problem arranging with them to use this content, they want customers.

Seriously though, consider using the 'legos'. Even your most amateur Upspring-noob fanbois could bash together a decent looking set of models if they have any kind of aesthetic sense, the technical skill requirements are minimal. Kaisers textures are really great, with reflections and crisp normal maps, and if CA didnt have 90% of its content already replaced, i would totally use them. The parts themselves are generic enough (primitives like squares, triangles, cylinders, wheels etc) that you can fairly faithfully reproduce OTA models without the game looking like Evo. Never mind, looks like you have a gob ton of talented artists making models for you now!
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

thats a rip off behe. just copy the design if you like it. it would be worth more to the community if instead of a coop investment of $ we did a coop investment in time, and the product would belong to the spring community with no legal strings attached.
pyra

Post by pyra »

you know. if you guys see any models you like on the internet and such, just suggested them on that other thread and mr bob and i could do our best to incorporate the parts that you like in our current project. you dont have to really buy it.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

what do you mean pyra?

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”