A formal Reply to "The Decline of BA" - And a "Suggestion" - Page 2

A formal Reply to "The Decline of BA" - And a "Suggestion"

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

scifi

Re: A formal Reply to "The Decline of BA" - And a "Suggestion"

Post by scifi »

Autohosts are like an airport, with little terrorists in it :wink:
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Need more players.
albator

Post by albator »

Nixa wrote:Glory days - before 8v8 was possible imho (5v5 max), that's when I had the most interesting and exciting games (ahh moonQ20x vs LCC stack I miss you :()

Relay hosts - I dunno about you, but myself and many others get kicked for flooding when we use them...

And a solution to your problem might be limiting new players to 5v5 games until 30 hours. Sounds cruel, but 1v1-5v5 style is easy to transfered to 8v8... but 8v8 DSD style isn't backwards compatible with 5v5 or less
I have no idea what Your "Glorious Days" exactly looked like, but since I started spring, 2 or 3 years ago, I got a lot of fun playing small game with at least 20 poeple that play pretty well. That is also the reason I learn the game quite fast. Playing agaisnt a LCC stack still happen sometimes by the way and they are not the most difficult team to beat atm in small game, so I really dont understand why you miss those "Glorious day", please, enlight me.

And the reason why I went to those small game is because I was in a clan that was speaking with other poeple by teamspeak. They actually encorage me to thoses kind of games and I liked it. What also encourage me to play thoses kind of game was the friendly "rivality" between the clans. (who will be the best stack)

So I would like to make some point:

- There is still a bunch a players playing small game every evening, but no so much that right
- if all the player that complain here about those "old glorious days" were actually playing small game, it will definitly bring some air to small game (since I admit we are not so much anymore) dont you think ?
- I would like to encourage poeple to (continue to) organise tourey and challenge/competition of any kind because it brings a lot a player to play/spec thoses kind of small games.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

pintle wrote:How about, instead of sitting in your ivory-
YO

1) ban autohosts, we have proxy hosting now.

PROBLEM SOLVE
Last edited by 1v0ry_k1ng on 09 Sep 2010, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:
pintle wrote:How about, instead of sitting in your ivory tower
YO

PROBLEM SOLVE
+1
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

RedBird wrote:[...] 2. PSET team-stacking [...]

[...] PSET should not be allowed, it simply shouldn't, or else it should be severely restricted, or team balancing should override it [...]
For the record, "pSet" is just a SPADS command to set user preferences (in other words, user-specific settings). Actually, what you are speaking about is the "clan" preference, which can be set with "!pSet clan ..." (or even directly with "!clan ..." if the autohost is configured to allow shortcuts)
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:
pintle wrote:How about, instead of sitting in your ivory-
YO

PROBLEM SOLVE
+ 9000
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

ban autohosts
I support this
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

Not that it would ever happen, but I support a ban on multiple empty autohosts that have the same game/mod on them. That is to say it is silly to have multiple copies when (at least i think this is how springie works) when you join a battle it will spawn a host automatically.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

JohannesH wrote:
ban autohosts
I support this
I stand for this also. I've been standing up against autohosto from the very since they appeared.

We want change!
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Interesting thread.

I agree wholeheartedly that one of the biggest problems around here is vets' treatment of noobs, but it's still a bit of a two way street. Once in a while, a noob will outright reject good advice (stating he thinks he knows better) even in response to completely polite people trying to help. Still, this is a much smaller issue than vets being rude to noobs.

I couldn't agree more about the spec thing. When I arrived to Spring I was absolutely flabbergasted that people would seriously suggest that a person new to the game should spectate first. At the time it seemed like the most demented thing ever. People download games to play them. Now I spectate 90% of the time as I'm a modder, but I can still put myself in the shoes of someone who is a new arrival. Seriously, stop asking people to spec. It's almost insulting, as though they don't deserve to have fun while you do.

RedBird, feel free to join clan 1uP. The only criterion is that you like the clan name. I assure you no member has ever cared about winning a game and we probably will never care. 8)
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

CarRepairer wrote:Interesting thread.

I agree wholeheartedly that one of the biggest problems around here is vets' treatment of noobs, but it's still a bit of a two way street. Once in a while, a noob will outright reject good advice (stating he thinks he knows better) even in response to completely polite people trying to help. Still, this is a much smaller issue than vets being rude to noobs.

I couldn't agree more about the spec thing. When I arrived to Spring I was absolutely flabbergasted that people would seriously suggest that a person new to the game should spectate first. At the time it seemed like the most demented thing ever. People download games to play them. Now I spectate 90% of the time as I'm a modder, but I can still put myself in the shoes of someone who is a new arrival. Seriously, stop asking people to spec. It's almost insulting, as though they don't deserve to have fun while you do.

RedBird, feel free to join clan 1uP. The only criterion is that you like the clan name. I assure you no member has ever cared about winning a game and we probably will never care. 8)
Blah blah blah noobs are treated poorly.

Need more players. Noobs are treated like shit on Battle.Net, but why are they still playing? Because there are always people at your skill level available to play with you, and it's easy to set you up with those people via a matchmaking system that uses an elo score.

In Spring, you get the same people playing the same mods on the same maps over and over again. And you can't match up players of the same skill level because either there aren't enough of them, or because you don't have an accurate assessment of their actual skill levels for a particular mod.

And you don't need to ban auto-hosts, you need to improve them and change their hosting policies.
Gota

Post by Gota »

autohosts
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Noobs are treated like shit on Battle.Net, but why are they still playing?
Because in every supermarket of all countries around the world, there always has been two rows of Warcraft III boxes and one row of Diablo boxes. And now there's also a three row of Starcraft II boxes and a huge cardboard cutout. Not the mention the whole shelf dedicated to WoW. I'd estimate that half the earth population has been exposed to an advertisment of a Blizzard product, or to the product itself. Though only gamers would registered the presence of a blizzard visual in their surroundings, that still mean they reached a number of people several order of magniture over Spring.

In short, battle.net can afford to lose 99.9% of their noobs because even 0.1% of 11 millions (number of copy of Starcraft 1 sold) is still eleven thousand people.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

11k isn't that much, not too much more than the amount of people Spring has playing it occasionally.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

But 11k is a wrong figure derived from my 0.1% figure of speech.

Could someone log into battle.net now and count the number of people in Stacraft 1 lobby? So that I could get the real value of the "copy sold"/"people still playing" ratio.
Gota

Post by Gota »

zwzsg wrote:But 11k is a wrong figure derived from my 0.1% figure of speech.

Could someone log into battle.net now and count the number of people in Stacraft 1 lobby? So that I could get the real value of the "copy sold"/"people still playing" ratio.
But that would be wrong..
First of all the are different area and leagues in each one and second of all you want the number of people playing on a constant basic and not the people online at the time you check.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

zwzsg wrote:
Noobs are treated like shit on Battle.Net, but why are they still playing?
Because in every supermarket of all countries around the world, there always has been two rows of Warcraft III boxes and one row of Diablo boxes. And now there's also a three row of Starcraft II boxes and a huge cardboard cutout. Not the mention the whole shelf dedicated to WoW. I'd estimate that half the earth population has been exposed to an advertisment of a Blizzard product, or to the product itself. Though only gamers would registered the presence of a blizzard visual in their surroundings, that still mean they reached a number of people several order of magniture over Spring.

In short, battle.net can afford to lose 99.9% of their noobs because even 0.1% of 11 millions (number of copy of Starcraft 1 sold) is still eleven thousand people.
Like I said, this place needs more exposure.
pintle

Post by pintle »

CarRepairer wrote:I couldn't agree more about the spec thing. When I arrived to Spring I was absolutely flabbergasted that people would seriously suggest that a person new to the game should spectate first. At the time it seemed like the most demented thing ever. People download games to play them. Now I spectate 90% of the time as I'm a modder, but I can still put myself in the shoes of someone who is a new arrival. Seriously, stop asking people to spec. It's almost insulting, as though they don't deserve to have fun while you do.
Sorry but no. I am not going to wait for several minutes to set up a game with decent teams etc, only to have some completely clueless newbie ruin the experience for everybody else involved. It is not insulting to say "we all have several years of experience, and your inclusion in this game will be to the detriment of both the game itself, and the enjoyment of all other parties", and its extremely naive to assume that a newbie can waltz into a game as complex as this (I mean the control system alone...) and hope to even remotely compete with top level players. I don't host rank limited matches, not only cos of "hilarious" smurfing, but also specifically so that newbies can join and spec, and learn 10x faster than if they just threw themselves into DSD games.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

in all seriousness, can autohosts be abolished? who would make that decision/have the ability to remove them?

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”