Req: Decaying units

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

The Maverick repairs itself, but I'm looking for the opposite... IRL stuff tends to wear out rather than fix itself.

I think adding a couple of units with decaying health might add interesting aspects to game play. It could for example be some otherwise overpowered units that die within a minute or so if not accompanied by repair units.

Units such as adv fusion is also a good candidate. If you don't service it as per the instruction manual.... BOOOM.

Another variant is that the unit is damaged each time it fires. Über-firepower, but only 10 times :mrgreen:

What do you think?
Pxtl

Re: Req: Decaying units

Post by Pxtl »

Ick, tedious micro. Constantly managing repair guys is not fun - you can't even just patrol them around your decaying units, since they'll get snagged on a construction and neglect the repairs. Plus you'd need a sleep-time when a unit is fully repaired before they start decaying again, or else a unit on patrol could never leave. Maybe good for a different game, but not BA.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Pxtl wrote:Ick, tedious micro. Constantly managing repair guys is not fun - you can't even just patrol them around your decaying units, since they'll get snagged on a construction and neglect the repairs. Plus you'd need a sleep-time when a unit is fully repaired before they start decaying again, or else a unit on patrol could never leave. Maybe good for a different game, but not BA.
Order cons to guard the unit, simple.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I was assuming that it was decaying at a rate slow enough that a permanently-assigned con would be a waste... but yeah, if it decays faster, then the feature is completely pointless since you may as well have the con be built with the building.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i always thought something that combined a unit like the peewee cannon and the decaying unit health for an effect like the ur-quan greens from star control or the carriers in starcraft... deploying drones for protection sort of thing
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

The vulcan cannon would be another excellent candidate imo. Each time it fires, it loses significant health. This means if you manage to destroy the nanos that were usually deployed to build it, it will die after X shots.
Kixu

Post by Kixu »

Sounds good for all bertha!
troycheek

Post by troycheek »

In XTA 9.6, the Arm Retaliator (Nuclear Missile Launcher) damages itself and nearby units with every launch.
babbles

Post by babbles »

troycheek wrote:In XTA 9.6, the Arm Retaliator (Nuclear Missile Launcher) damages itself and nearby units with every launch.
and the core nuke, and the vulcan/buzzsaw
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Give Juggernaut Decay and double its hit points, give it a large hit sphere so cons can hide behind it.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

babbles wrote:
troycheek wrote:In XTA 9.6, the Arm Retaliator (Nuclear Missile Launcher) damages itself and nearby units with every launch.
and the core nuke, and the vulcan/buzzsaw
It was funny surprise when my vulcan blew up my fusions in xta
Still won though
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Hmm... maybe make them look like ghosts? and disappear slowly, no wreck left behind. And perhaps these units could walk through other units as well? this way it gives more interesting tactics too.

But ghosted units doesnt really make any sense... unless you call them something like phase shifting units or something xD

Hmm.. what if the units actually use phase shifting technology, they would take and give 50% of their damage (because it is only half of the time in the "real" phase), and move through units (twice slower than normal movement). I cant make up a logic why would they "wear off" though... maybe the phase shifting technology isnt that good yet and it may stop working at the other phase, so basically you might lose those units at random times, no matter how long they've been alive.

Would be ridiculous to lose a high cost unit after 2 secs you made it though... maybe some time limit would be cool, like 1 min of phase shifting at least.

Hmm... actually this phase shift tech sounds really cool... you could use it on any unit, and it basically improves their armor, but the bad thing is their damage halves too.

The interesting part would be that if you fight against other phase shifted units, you will make 100% damage and take 100% damage. This means its not smart to fight against those units... These would be used to penetrate in their base only. Should cost a lot though...

Oh and when you start using the phase shift, you cant turn it off anymore, well, you could turn it off, but you have only 50% of chance to leave the unit alive after it (since its shifting phase so fast).
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

you could do this easy with in the unit's script, but i don't know whyd you'd want to. maybe for things that have a short life span and can not be repaired, some similar to warcraft (1)'s summon elemental spells. maybe like a flaming ghostly appearance of a mongolian battleworks beezlebub?

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”