New BA variant

New BA variant

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Tronic

New BA variant

Post by Tronic »

I made a new variant that now needs testing. http://zi.fi/spring/
Otherside

Re: New BA variant

Post by Otherside »

all these changes seem like a knee jerk reaction to 8v8BADSD.

Try another map :P
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

It takes a lot of nuking to build Missile Ships in DSD. Believe me, [fi] plays plenty of other maps too.

The changes mostly affect high-price units because those are where there are biggest balance issues. Vulcan and Buzzsaw have been overlooked for ages because they are considered stupid and useless units (which is what they are in BA).
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

lol
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Tronic wrote:It takes a lot of nuking to build Missile Ships in DSD. Believe me, [fi] plays plenty of other maps too.

The changes mostly affect high-price units because those are where there are biggest balance issues. Vulcan and Buzzsaw have been overlooked for ages because they are considered stupid and useless units (which is what they are in BA).
tbh they look more stupid and useless in your mod because you increased the cost.

the last thing a mod needs is a 10 mins i go afk weapon whilst i get owned for sinking my economy on one weapon.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Just to be picky, i'd prefer it if you chose a new name rather than added to the version tag on BA (you could end the mod name with (BA7.11) ala Chicken Defense or Advanced BA.)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

ive stopped reading after 4th 'change'
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Black text on purple background makes me want to strangle your lack of color coordination. Does your mother actually let you dress yourself?
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

What is this
I don't even
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

TheFatController wrote:Just to be picky, i'd prefer it if you chose a new name rather than added to the version tag on BA (you could end the mod name with (BA7.11) ala Chicken Defense or Advanced BA.)
I chose not to do this because my intention is not to start another mod.
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

Forboding Angel wrote:Black text on purple background makes me want to strangle your lack of color coordination. Does your mother actually let you dress yourself?
Apparently some browsers rendered it incorrectly. I have changed it so that it should be more compatible. HTML5 is nice, but it isn't that well supported yet, it would seem...
Regret

Post by Regret »

Tronic wrote:I chose not to do this because my intention is not to start another mod.
Sure don't do it and be ridiculed for how pathetic you are by stealing names of other mods. This txt rebalance will not achieve anything (just like the countless txt files before) so at least save your face in the process.

It is a new mod because it is not a mutator of any mod, i.e. it doesn't need original BA mod archive to function. Doesn't matter what you claim.
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

Otherside wrote:tbh they look more stupid and useless in your mod because you increased the cost.

the last thing a mod needs is a 10 mins i go afk weapon whilst i get owned for sinking my economy on one weapon.
They are meant to be used when the enemy is ecoporcing and everybody already has too much eco to spend it in any useful way. I.e. when krogspam or massive amounts of bombers (and fighters and scouts) don't work anymore.

The eco needed for building it isn't going to be the limiting factor (because of the build time), so you can still build units from other factories. Actually shooting the thing might still be a bigger issue, as it does drain a lot of energy (and I didn't change that in any way).

The enemy porcing (and not scouting, in particular) is crucial because otherwise the super weapon will be destroyed before it finishes building.
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

Regret wrote:
Tronic wrote:I chose not to do this because my intention is not to start another mod.
Sure don't do it and be ridiculed for how pathetic you are by stealing names of other mods. This txt rebalance will not achieve anything (just like the countless txt files before) so at least save your face in the process.

It is a new mod because it is not a mutator of any mod, i.e. it doesn't need original BA mod archive to function. Doesn't matter what you claim.
I suppose the concept of patched versions isn't familiar to you. This is what I am doing, providing a custom version of BA. The normal way of doing that is adding a suffix denoting the patcher and the patch version, so -tronic1 for this particular version. The meaning is very clear and this practice is widely used in open source, when changes not present in the upstream version (TheFatController's in this case) are added to a package that otherwise still follows any changes done in upstream.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Tronic wrote:I suppose the concept of patched versions isn't familiar to you. This is what I am doing, providing a custom version of BA. The normal way of doing that is adding a suffix denoting the patcher and the patch version, so -tronic1 for this particular version. The meaning is very clear and this practice is widely used in open source, when changes not present in the upstream version (TheFatController's in this case) are added to a package that otherwise still follows any changes done in upstream.
Maybe you're not familiar with the concept of mutators in spring which do exactly what you just said.

A mutator includes all the files from x archive (specified in modinfo file) and adds new files that are inside said mutator or overwrittes existing files from said inclusion.

What you did is ctrl+c ctrl+v of BA, changed 5 lines of text, proclaimed it a patch (implying it actually fixes something as opposed to just implementing your glorious ideas) and disregarded request from TFC to rename to avoid misleading naming schemes (see Basic, Senna etc. for examples).
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

Thanks for the tip, I need to make myself familiar with that. Unfortunately I don't have the time to repackage any time soon, as doing that properly requires quite a bit of work (fetching changes from git and packaging those automatically, as I still want to be able to merge new BA versions easily).
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

If it's not BA, please don't name it BA. If you refuse to rename your mod, you will be sacrificed to the Sun God.
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

Okay, it apparently automating the packaging was easier than I thought. V7.11-tronic2 is a mutator, making the package very small and also speeding up the testing (7zipping the entire BA takes a while). Thanks for the tip, Regret.

In case anyone is interested, I have also uploaded the git repository to http://github.com/Tronic/spring
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Tronic wrote:(7zipping the entire BA takes a while)
BA is all of 8 mb 7zipped... You must be doing something a little backwards here. Make a mutator and you only need to distribute a 100kb mod. Seriously, look up mutators.
Tronic

Post by Tronic »

I released a mutator a while back already, and it is 16 kB. Now this is available also via SpringDownloader.
Last edited by Tronic on 10 Feb 2010, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”