Balanced Annihilation V7.04 - Page 5

Balanced Annihilation V7.04

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

HectorMeyer

Re: Balanced Annihilation V7.04

Post by HectorMeyer »

The texture update is really nice. Any chance we will see a complete retexture or even new models in the future?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

lol no

go play CA -_-
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

TradeMark wrote:lol no

go play CA -_-
+1
They totaly suck.
AreaFire

Post by AreaFire »

HectorMeyer wrote:The texture update is really nice. Any chance we will see a complete retexture or even new models in the future?
Sounds like we have a volunteer, then.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

TheFatController wrote:However either the engine or tasclient has broken it it seems so that the LuaAI doesn't get control of the bot initially so chickens end up as gaia and nothing works right.. dunno if you know if this is a change in script.txt from tasclient or the engine?
Around last spring version CA chickens broke too, about 30% of the players desync because they see no chicken player (IE, they just see an enemy AI commander that doesnt do anything). I didnt think that this might be a lobby related issue, but that would make sense given the random, but consistent (by player) desyncing. Has this issue been constrained only to TASC users?

We had someone upload a fix for it, it still gives a desync message but the chickens work fine. Ill keep you posted.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

juno explosion is still as big as it was before...
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

annoying bug: sub killers cant kill T1 sea lab. Not sure about other subs/labs, i guess the same bug :(
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

*smack*
READ:
submarine killers are meant for destroying buildings, as its name, quite obviously, suggests.
Blue_Falcon

Post by Blue_Falcon »

Submarine Killers = Underwater killers.

I think that's the way it was meant, as the "Submarine Killers" are also very effective for destroying buildings, ships and any vehicles foolish enough to go into the water.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

This is a bug due to the large open footprint of the shipyard and the way torpedoes work. The torpedo does not damage an open shipyard, because there is nothing there to damage. Indeed, the torpedo will pass right through the shipyard if it does not hit what it is constructing. If it hits the unit under construction, it will damage the unit but not the building.

A workaround is to move the sub so it hits one of the four small pylons at the edge of the factory. These are not 'open' and thus can be hit by torpedoes, being solid as anything else (If you look at the model, this sort of makes sense).

For a mod side fix, if you give the shipyard a hitbox rather than the normal hitsphere, the torpedo will strike it and ignore the open yardmap. However, since the torpedo can no longer pass through the shipyard, it will not be able to harm the unit under construction. CA does this.

Its not totally necessary though, because at current a player can chose whether they want to shut down the construction or kill the factory, based on where they position the sub (as long as they know about this). Its just fiddly.

Argh's new Shipyard model will be very good for this purpose because it will have a large, open construction area, and the factory proper is off to one side. Having the unit constructed outside of the buildings hitvolume solves a lot of these kinds of issues.

There is no way i know of replicating the old spring behaviour, where both the shipyard and the unit under construction are damaged. This functionality was lost, no doubt a result of the hitsphere changes that introduced nonspherical hitvolumes. Im not sure why projectiles seem to still pass through the open portions of the shipyard but not other factories though, i am pretty sure they used to but i just tested, and a unit can hide inside a factories hitsphere fairly easily in BA.
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

but there is no workaround needed:
submarine killers are only meant to destroy other submarines. They are simply not meant to destroy shipyards.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

bartvbl wrote:but there is no workaround needed:
submarine killers are only meant to destroy other submarines. They are simply not meant to destroy shipyards.
no, its a bug.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

bartvbl wrote:but there is no workaround needed:
You base this belief on an ambiguous tooltip, correct?
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

I base it on my interpretation on its name "submarine killer". It can be interpreted as both "a submarine which is meant to kill other submarines", or "a submarine meant to kill whatever comes in its path". To me seems the interpretation of a submarine meant to kill other submarines the most obvious, since the battle submarine is more meant to do destruction of water buildings and shipyards (plus the t1 sub as well). That is more or less how I see it.
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

just on the side:
the x-ray highlighting widget does not seem to work for units of teams having a black colour
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Is it normal that Consul can build non-static units? This is sick. It is against common sense imho.

ADDED

Other thoughts. If MOD authors decided to extend gameplay this way i suggest to redesign this unit to build units inside Consul. It must be much bigger then & slower. This is really looking ugly & unreal when watching how Consult builds a unit. Looks like the unit appears from nothing. Does Consul has some super advanced nano-machines it its ass so it can build so complex units? Really stupid.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

slogic wrote:Is it normal that Consul can build non-static units? This is sick. It is against common sense imho.
Yes its not normal.
Regret

Post by Regret »

slogic wrote:Is it normal that Consul can build non-static units? This is sick. It is against common sense imho.

ADDED

Other thoughts. If MOD authors decided to extend gameplay this way i suggest to redesign this unit to build units inside Consul. It must be much bigger then & slower. This is really looking ugly & unreal when watching how Consult builds a unit. Looks like the unit appears from nothing. Does Consul has some super advanced nano-machines it its ass so it can build so complex units? Really stupid.
:D

You do realize every constructor in game that builds buildings is stupid then right?

Welcome to BA, your input is highly appreciated! Goodbye.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Yep, they can build buildings. Ok, ignore my info about nanostuff. Let's come back to Consuls. Very strange decision anyway to allow Consul build non-static. That makes me think that in future you allow Commander to act like this. And further avoid labs at all. May be this is more suited for another mod? I always considered if player has no labs it can't build mobile units playing BA.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

The nanobuilding is highly advanced way to build things... sure it looks unreal because you dont know how it works.

Basic working principle is to shoot the nanobots along the metal they use for building, the hotter the metal is, the longer single nanobots can assist on one thing and the more they can modify the metal into another materials.

The building time depends on how complex the structure is, for example, if you build just a cube, it has really simple program, so you need only one type of nanobots. Each part needs separately programmed nanobots, after you finish the part, your nanobots will merge into the structure and stop from working.

Each nanobot creates a small forceshield around them to prevent the structure from falling apart, or losing the heat into the environment around them. You need about 5% of your energy usage to hold up the shield. Once you stop sending more nanobots/metal in the structure, the nanobots will try to hold up the shield by extracting energy from the building itself. This is why the building starts disappearing.

Now, the only unrealistic things are:
1) Solar doesnt cost energy at all.
2) You get the metal back from unfinished structure without touching it at all.
3) Stalling doesnt make the building cost any more, unless you stop building it for a while and then continue.
4) There is no limit on how many builders can assist on one structure at once.

In OTA 1 and 2 was not a problem, since every unit did cost energy, and you didnt get your metal automatically back once your building started to disappear.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”