[BA Strategy] What's the T2 counter for mass Stumpies? - Page 2

[BA Strategy] What's the T2 counter for mass Stumpies?

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Sleksa

Re: [BA Strategy] What's the T2 counter for mass Stumpies?

Post by Sleksa »

BlueTemplar wrote:First, shouldn't there be a "game strategy" subforum, because I see the strategy threads randomly spread out between General Discussion, Game Lobby, and Games and Mods.

Ok, so it's a fairly flat battleground, you have your defense line ready, you just got your t2 vehicle lab (as ARM), and you see your opponent is massing stumpies.

What t2 vehicle do you build to attack him?
Bulldogs to tank& block the stumpies, and janus/penetrator/panthers for dps
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Spam Crocs if you're CORE, those tanks kick ass, and you can outrange and outmaneuver stumpies, crawling bombs are great too for Core and ARM.

For ARM, Crawling bombs work good too as the delay in stumpie shells make it easy to walk in your bombs, or mass fleas too, or Zippers, T2 Vehicles tend to be too slow and too expensive to start making an assault against massive spam so this is where fast Kbots can actually do some serious damage in T2, don't forget about Zeus either.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

1 Goliath > 50% damage to packed stumpies
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

And 2 gollis = dead pack of stumpys.
If you do a little micro (aiming at where the most stumpys are in a pack), gollis do great against stumpys. Against flashes u dont even need to micro theyr aim.

Ur question was about arm T2 veh though, and imho sleska already answered that one.
Bulldogs + Panters (AA, mobility for hit & run) / Janus (raw dps and AOE) / Penetrator (range).
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I frequently use mass stumpy spam and it usually beats whatever the enemy has to offer every time. As long as your reclaiming all the stumpy wrecks you can just keep spamming.

The problem with T2 is that it costs more, takes longer to build and thus meaning you can't spam as fast as T1.

EMP drones all the way.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

JAZCASH wrote: EMP drones all the way.
This cant be stressed enough, imo the best t1 air unit after trans.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Also, cans eat stumpies for breakfast.
Baladin

Post by Baladin »

Emp bombers + Liche = Dead Stumpys.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Baladin wrote:Emp bombers + Liche = Dead Stumpys.
Nah.

Vulcan+Krog+Nuke+Liche+Com+Bantha+Buzzsaw+Sumo+Doomsday+Brawlers+Bombers would work pretty well imo.
Lolsquad_Steven

Post by Lolsquad_Steven »

Depends on map i guess :u
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

DTs. That's the real way to fight stumpies. Just put up some DTs and pound them with heavier stuff from the other side. Vipers/pitbulls will give them a bad day.

Otherwise, moar stumpies, with some L2 stuff in the mix to assist.
YHCIR

Post by YHCIR »

The best way to kill a hoard of stumpies is to airdrop 5 levellers into the enemy base.

There's quite a few ways to beat them, but its almost impossible to suggest a method because it depends entirely on the map, ally situation, eco situation, chokepoints, which lab you have, how much AA they have etc.

On a flat map, as you said in the OP I would be tempted to get 1xt2 con, 2xt2 helpers, mobile jammer then recycle lab and make several popups (or guardian + popup?). But like I say, it depends if you can just go around them, if you want to defend and suck all the metal or if you want to push back out and grab some mex spots (assuming there are some behind the stumpies). Use mobile jammer to go reclaim the metal.

If they are far enough away, you could even place some random landmines (don't just spam them in lines) which would delay any attack because they would stop and build juno.

People suggesting drones, yeh those are great if you are Core (OP said ARM vehicles)
Baladin

Post by Baladin »

JAZCASH wrote:
Baladin wrote:Emp bombers + Liche = Dead Stumpys.
Nah.

Vulcan+Krog+Nuke+Liche+Com+Bantha+Buzzsaw+Sumo+Doomsday+Brawlers+Bombers would work pretty well imo.
Naw he said t2 counter, krog + bantha dont count
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

If all you're worried about is defending against a horde of stumpies rather than going on the offensive, you can probably get away with a group of flashes rammed into the front of the stupmies. They won't kill many if there are alot of stumpies but the wrecks will mean you can use relatively few heaver / longer range T2 like bulldogs to kill them. Just concentrate on the stumpies at hte edge of all the wreckage first.
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yes, I was specifically talking about the attack, because on maps like DSD, dragon teeth in defense work fine.

Though there's also the case of the maps like DSD island, where nothing seems to beat a horde of stumpies - and if you block them with dragon teeth they'll just drive around your defenses!
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

BlueTemplar wrote:Yes, I was specifically talking about the attack, because on maps like DSD, dragon teeth in defense work fine.

Though there's also the case of the maps like DSD island, where nothing seems to beat a horde of stumpies - and if you block them with dragon teeth they'll just drive around your defenses!
On wide open maps, stumpies and flashtanks are king. The more area you have to cover, the better the fast, light units behave. Heavier units are for concentrating firepower into a small area... on big, open maps, you don't have to do that.

So the correct answer is "nothing". In fact, give the flashtanks a try - if the space is that wide open that you can't defend at all, then it might be open enough that the raiders can outswarm the stumpies.

How ironic that a DSD derivative is forcing players to learn Comet Catcher gameplay.
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

A few banishers supporting t1 spam are very good against stumpy spam. Except they tend to leave very few enemy wrecks to reclaim.
Klopper

Post by Klopper »

Against pure tank armies, Bladewings are best :-)
You might also like to try out microed Mavericks or Morties (maybe guarded by a few cans). If you have to hold a line as long as possible (to buy a nuke or t2 air or whatever porcer time for example, or to hold out until a back guy has finished the rescuing DDM), self-d'd Twilights or a few heavy mines (ideally in combination with DT to "lead" enemy tanks onto them) can at least delay incoming Stumpy spam.
Also, you don't desperately need expensive, sluggish Gollies to support your t1 against Stumpies, a few microed Banishers will do fine.
HectorMeyer

Post by HectorMeyer »

I don't really see the issue tbh.

Once you have T2 and got some Pitbulls and Bulldogs up, enemy stumpys are no problem anymore. One Pitbull, backed up by a few T1 units, kills pretty much any T1 army. Bulldogs are also far superior to stumpys, 3 Bulldogs kill 10 stumpies with ease.

Once T2 units are standard on the battlefield, Stumpys are reduced to just cannon fodder.

As soon as my Stumpys encounter Pitbulls or Bulldogs I usually stop the attacks and try to tech up, since I know my attacks will just fail and my T1 adv solar eco will be outdated pretty soon.

This is of course just a general rule, I've seen stumpy hordes succesfully charge pitbull fortresses, although this is quite unusual and probably just a question of unit count/economy.

TLDR: T2 owns stumpys.

btw tank units like Stumpys and Bulldogs profit a lot from decent unit control i.e. use the "fight" command so your units dont move so much so they fire faster and more precise.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

HectorMeyer wrote: Once you have T2 and got some Pitbulls and Bulldogs up, enemy stumpys are no problem anymore. One Pitbull, backed up by a few T1 units, kills pretty much any T1 army. Bulldogs are also far superior to stumpys, 3 Bulldogs kill 10 stumpies with ease.
I disagree with all of this. Sir.

Never underestimate the Stumpy.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”