[old] Balanced Annihilation V6.84 - Page 3

[old] Balanced Annihilation V6.84

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

lurker

Re: Balanced Annihilation V6.84

Post by lurker »

The screwed up unit did get fixed; for future reference for anyone reading this, don't use a broken editor that adds byte order marks at the beginning of files you merely edit with it.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

slogic wrote:Looking at http://pastebin.com/m2482e959 you have an error in gadget area:

Code: Select all

[ 0] Lua LoadCode pcall error = 2, LuaRules/main.lua, error = 2, LuaRules/gadgets.lua, [string "LuaRules/main.lua"]:26: attempt to index global 'arg' (a nil value)
[ 0] Recording demo demos/20090316_233542_Flat_Green no wind v6_0.78.2.sdf

This map contains a mutator with all sorts of stuff in it, please don't report any BA bugs on this map as I can't/won't investigate them.
lurker wrote:The screwed up unit did get fixed; for future reference for anyone reading this, don't use a broken editor that adds byte order marks at the beginning of files you merely edit with it.
I've saved thousands of files with Notepad2 and this is the first instance of this error, Krogoth86 had the same issue so it seems the file was always corrupt but the opening and saving caused the encoding to be changed or something.

As for AA chasing stuff - i've always personally used the hold position widget to combat this however i'll look into fixing these as I assume they've always been broken (nochase can be quite flaky sometimes however).

Totally unrelated - how does everyone feel about raising the capture speed on Commanders, not so they can instantly capture stuff, but to a level where capturing an enemy mex is at least as fast as building your own etc.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

Cool idea. I'd suggest making it faster then building though or it still won't be used much. Maybe half the time it takes to build stuff?
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

got an eta on the kbot-fix-o-release ?
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

TheFatController wrote:[ 0] Recording demo demos/20090316_233542_Flat_Green no wind v6_0.78.2.sdf

This map contains a mutator with all sorts of stuff in it, please don't report any BA bugs on this map as I can't/won't investigate them.
Oh, can't believe this. LUA is everywhere. I'll remember to check for the map contents next time. Sorry for disturbing.
lurker

Post by lurker »

TheFatController wrote:I've saved thousands of files with Notepad2 and this is the first instance of this error, Krogoth86 had the same issue so it seems the file was always corrupt but the opening and saving caused the encoding to be changed or something.
Nah, I think it's your editor. The special thing about this file is that it has a unicode character in the german description, rather than ANSI. This means that your editor opened a file that was UTF-8 without byte order mark, recognized it as UTF-8, and then saved it as UTF-8 with byte order mar.
TheFatController

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:got an eta on the kbot-fix-o-release ?
I'm building up a changelog at the moment, will need to seek feedback and testing then if all goes well hopefully update this weekend. I was considering getting a 'test' version ala CA going as well so potential fixes can be a bit more experimental without hurting the main game.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

get a module made for Spring downloader.

Would be a better solution than releasing Beta's on sites

That is ofc if you have the facility to run auto updating. Or if you are gonna base it on small mutators to a specific BA version that could work.
TheFatController

Fixed the mobile AA units 8)

They had nochase set to 'VTOL' instead of 'ALL'
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

also sea AA ships are trying to chase non air units...
fLaMbEuR

Post by fLaMbEuR »

And Core DT health should match its Arm equivalent.

Thanks
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

liches try to chase units that they can't shoot, like fighters
fix it pls

attached example demo:
Attachments
20090318_163155_Alaska_0.78.2.sdf
(75.7 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Llamadeus

Post by Llamadeus »

Hey can you fix scout cars killing themselves with they own lasers TIA
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

Llamadeus wrote:Hey can you fix scout cars killing themselves with they own lasers TIA
I'm pretty sure this issue is only on the ARM Jeffy, the CORE Weasel seems to work fine. Still, its amazingly irritating to have your scout car kill itself before it can kill a single mex or solar in a raid.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

fLaMbEuR wrote:And Core DT health should match its Arm equivalent.

Thanks
iirc, the wreckage healths are the same, adn the wreck is what is used ingame. The unit health is only used during construction - the wreck is spawned the moment the DT is complete. So really, the only time that difference is relevant is while the unit is being built.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

Pxtl wrote:
fLaMbEuR wrote:And Core DT health should match its Arm equivalent.

Thanks
iirc, the wreckage healths are the same, adn the wreck is what is used ingame. The unit health is only used during construction - the wreck is spawned the moment the DT is complete. So really, the only time that difference is relevant is while the unit is being built.
Does the wreckage spawn with half health if the unit was half destroyed while being built?
fLaMbEuR

Post by fLaMbEuR »

Pxtl wrote:iirc, the wreckage healths are the same, adn the wreck is what is used ingame. The unit health is only used during construction - the wreck is spawned the moment the DT is complete. So really, the only time that difference is relevant is while the unit is being built.
Yes, exactly.

While being built, the Arm DT has 2500 hp while the Core one only 50. This means that one can be built while being attacked and the other cannot.
TheFatController

hmm my feeling is you shouldn't be able to make either under fire as that makes it too easy to plug gaps with a commander
jellyman

Post by jellyman »

Should something be done about Mar3usmc style heavy bomber rush?

That is Self D commander going for t2 as soon as possible, and then send a solid squad of heavy bombers to bomb everything in the opponent's back row.

Example: http://replays.adune.nl/?918

If no balance change is made to reduce the effectiveness of this strategy, the options I can think of at the moment to counter this are:

- to avoid any game larger than about 4 vs 4 tabula, as 4 vs 3 should be win before the bomber rush comes if the 4 are aggressive enough. Seems nearly all games these days are 5 vs 5 dsd or bigger.
- play only with com death = player loses unit control mod option. Haven't seen this option in ages.
-learn the strategy myself. But I think rushing ak spam is much more fun.
-experiment with t1 air rush to scout for any opponents attempting this strategy and try and t1 bomb them before they get set up.
-play a different mod.
beejayzed

Post by beejayzed »

jellyman wrote:Should something be done about Mar3usmc style heavy bomber rush?

That is Self D commander going for t2 as soon as possible, and then send a solid squad of heavy bombers to bomb everything in the opponent's back row.

Example: http://replays.adune.nl/?918

If no balance change is made to reduce the effectiveness of this strategy, the options I can think of at the moment to counter this are:

- to avoid any game larger than about 4 vs 4 tabula, as 4 vs 3 should be win before the bomber rush comes if the 4 are aggressive enough. Seems nearly all games these days are 5 vs 5 dsd or bigger.
- play only with com death = player loses unit control mod option. Haven't seen this option in ages.
-learn the strategy myself. But I think rushing ak spam is much more fun.
-experiment with t1 air rush to scout for any opponents attempting this strategy and try and t1 bomb them before they get set up.
-play a different mod.
As with any tech rush, t1 air is a good counter. Air drops, bombers, com drop. Otherwise just tech rush better. I do wonder though whether t2 bombers should perhaps be more expensive, to make them more a later game unit.
Also, you don't even have to scout. Just check for a comwreck at the right time on the opponents side.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”