NO THIS IS SPARTAAAAAA
smoth

Post by smoth »

Fanger wrote:NO THIS IS SPARTAAAAAA
Win for the crew of 4chan, OH YEAH!
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

Just for the record, I can't play or host games at home currently, so I'm not playing my own mod much right now.

I am, however, working on a map to play with MADNESS!, one which will have geos at strategic places and feature a very unique (and simplistic) graphic style (made in mspaint!). I have all three .bmps ready, I just need to write a .smd and put it all together. I love how simple stuff is in Spring!

Soon my computer should be fixed, and then I'll start hosting MADNESS! games. I think the mod, combined with the special map, will offer a very unique gaming experience that Sping has not offered before. So I'm looking forward to seeing you ingame then!
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Emphasis on speshul! :)
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

Man, I'm not so impressed anymore about how easy everything is in spring :(

There are different versions of mapmaking tools, no real documentation, and the geo spots seem to appear at randomly changed locations on the map. I'd ask about it in the mapping forum but I don't have access. So if anyone can tell me why geovents do whatever the hell they want, i'd appreciate it :)

On the lighter side, here is a screenshot of the map. I call it Madmap I, and it will suck with any other mod. But I hope it'll rock with MADNESS!.

(the geos should obviously be on the yellow squares)

edit: what is the easiest way to get an all-black skybox?
Pxtl

Cute

Post by Pxtl »

I presume the map will be called Marble Madness?

You might want to consider changing the detailtex - the yellow squares don't look right all blotchy.
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

:lol: Marble MADNESS! ;)

You make a good point, but I haven't the faintest idea on how to change the detailtex (or what exactly it is).

The thing is, I've been using the mapping tutorials from the Wiki, but they are incosistent with each other and leave out quite a bit of stuff.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think you should've offset the lines by half the distance between them into one direction so they don't get stretched on those vertical walls.
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

Yeehaa! I'm getting there!

The geos are now right, I just need to figure out how to get rid of that white bottom of the sky...

@KDR_11k: Actually I kind of like it like that. I thought because the change was abrupt the whole wall would be yellow, I actually like it better this way.
bamb

Post by bamb »

Read forboding's tutorial sticky for map making. Most of other stuff is hopelessly outdated.
Also, post stuff in user mapping section.
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

Major changes!

I liked the Marble Madness idea from Pxtl. So now I have an idea where this thing is going.

You play the mod Marble Madness on the map Marble Madness.

The map is done, it looks like this:

And you can download it from unknown-files. It doens't have any metal or wind, though, so playing it with a normal mod would be kinda dumb. Unless you really, really, really love greenfields. :P

I had to completely change the ranges of the units to accomodate such a small map, so I made a new version of the mod. It's called Marble Madness from now on:

And you can download it from unknown-files too.

Now all I need is units models. I want the Little Guys to look like marbles (balls), the Big Guys to look like isoscele Pyramids about as tall as HLTs, Arty Guys to look like cubes,
and the Worker Guys to look like dodecaeders. All only in teamcolor, no textures. I can't model at all, but maybe I can learn, or even find someone who can whip that stuff together in half an hour. Anyone? ;)

@bamb: thank you. tombom gave me the link to forbodings thread in the lobby, so I've been using that. Someone should really clean up the Wiki. I wasted lots of time reading really outdated guides :( And I can't post in the mapmaking forum (yet), but I PMd FA to get that permission.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Dunno, I thought "Tron", not "Marble Madness" when I saw that.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Tron is copyrighted but agreed.
Hmm why do barefoot negros, in rags, armed with KFC bucket bazookas or mortars come into my dirty mind when thinking of arty guys... :P
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

rattle wrote:Tron is copyrighted but agreed.
Hmm why do barefoot negros, in rags, armed with KFC bucket bazookas or mortars come into my dirty mind when thinking of arty guys... :P
So's Marble Madness. It's a rather hard oldschool isometric arcade game. And seriously - the rest of your post is pretty F'd up right there, dude. :oops:
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think something Tron-like would work better, light guys -> lightcycles, big guys -> tanks, ...
Just having each unit look like a simple flatshaded object and making explosions look just as strange (e.g. exploding into flying hexagons). Have them shoot rectangles at each other and make the sounds bleeps and bloops with the occassional "Your head a splode" comment ;). Basically make it resemble the 80's idea of cyberspace.

I think this could be summed up as "make it look like Darwinia!".
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

Well, I've been thinking. If I can replace the unit models with this

as I intend to, then the whole mod could be released under the GPL. I just would have to make some new sound effects. And obviously, it couldn't be named marble madness.

If the units are simple geometric shapes, it won't really look like tron, but it won't look like marble madness either.

Anyway, I've played a few games now, and the following changes to the mod will be done in the next version:

() Worker Guy build time reduced quite a bit
() Worker Guy can build LLTs and DTs
() Icon-view-distance reduces so if you press tab units are still icons when they are on the top of the hill
() Labs will take a bit longer to build in compensation of cheaper Worker Guys
() Big Boy will be able to crush wreckage like a krog

I'll do that stuff over the weekend. Cheers.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Oops, never heard of Marble Madness to be honest but I know the game, just under a different name (which I can't remember either).

Yes a Tron spam mod would rock. I think those hovering tanks were just hilarious. Spring might be a good platform for this.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I've wasted a few minutes making oldskool-looking explosions:

I think an art style that resembles the line-vector graphics found in old C64 3d games would be cool.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I like, 8 bit retro ftw. Mmm now just add flat shaded 80s cyberspace.
We shouldn't abuse Boi's thread though. On second thought it would fit in the mod as well.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I posted these here because I wanted to propose such a style for the mod's explosions.

Return to “Kernel Panic”