Kernel Panic - Page 37

Kernel Panic

Moderator: Content Developer

Google_Frog

Re: Kernel Panic

Post by Google_Frog »

Can the byte mine launcher be targetable? I hate it when the bytes turn at the last moment and the mines fly off the map.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I need all the legal data on Kernel Panic and explicit permission to advertise it by the 20th.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

zwzsg wrote:
KDR_11k wrote:- Made Kernel open faster, it was way too slow at opening before
Actually, it was a feature. So everybody gets a few seconds at start to enqueue build order. Because I don't think it's funny to gain an advantage to be the fastest to click when game start. So I'd rather have other homebase open slower.
It doesnt start to open until you give the order anyway, though, does it?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

It's public domain (or CC-PD or whatever is needed to declare that, basically "do what you want shall be the only law") except for some code parts (a few widgets and gadgets) that Zw apparently got from trepan and jk, those are probably GPL if I know those two well enough. Go ahead and advertise it, it's currently working but a bit unbalanced so I'd prefer to do more testing first but it's not strictly necessary, it could be packaged with a few start scripts for singleplayer and wrapped into an installer at any time (if Zw wasn't so lazy now).

google: How would you like the aiming to be done? Should the location be where the center mine gets aimed at or should it just be an approximate direction?

Sak: The kernel does, the other two not.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I think the location should tell the byte the direction, like a spell. So it would be like it is now but much more usable.
lurker

Post by lurker »

I just loaded it, and the kernel didn't open automatically. Can you please make it so they all open at the start?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Google_Frog wrote:Can the byte mine launcher be targetable? I hate it when the bytes turn at the last moment and the mines fly off the map.
I like it that way, it is more skilled. Having to target would also mean a need to do a second click, and to precisely aim with that second click. Even one second between those two click is too time consuming, compared to the window of opportunity for max damage when bits are rushing your byte. Right now a single click is needed, but you have to observe the byte and its surrounding to do it exactly at the right time. Which I prefer to having to observe a cumbersome spellcasting User Interface.

The few widgets and gadget that are GPL could probably be redone easily without using trepan's code, it's just last time I tried I failed at uh, I think it was related to custom toggle button or something, there was one single tiny LUA command I couldn't get to work so after hours I gave up and took CA's code. :P

What happens the 20th neddie?

Do you need screenshots, videos, replay, to advertise?
lurker wrote:I just loaded it, and the kernel didn't open automatically. Can you please make it so they all open at the start?
The idea was to have two part in the opening:
1) At the beginning of the game, the kernel does half of the opening (moving pillar from ground level to extend vertically), and the hole does a "sleep" of same time. This was automatic, and was to let each player get a few second to get their mark and enqueue their ordere.
2) When going from inactive to having stuff to build, the kernel does the other half of the opening (arching the pillar), and the hole does its opening.
3) Then the construction of units start
4) Should the buildlist empty, the kernel straighten its pillar and the hole close, then its back to idle then step 2.

However KDR just changed that. So I'm not sure what it does right now.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Screenshots.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

[url]http://kdr_11k.from-hell.net/Kernel%20Panic%20net%20NRC7.sd7[/url]

KP.net NRC7
- Changed connection to use a beamlaser weapon instead of melee. The results are that connections will no longer throw some units into the air and have proper inaccuracy vs cloaked targets
- Added a 6 second delay for packets after dispatching in which they cannot enter a teleport
- Removed pointer damage reduction vs Flow
- Changed connection and packet hitspheres so packets no longer block the line of fire from DoSes to connections.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

How do I kill flow when I'm not hacker?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

zwzsg wrote:How do I kill flow when I'm not hacker?
Byte.
joshcryer

Post by joshcryer »

How do I kill zwzsg when I'm not that great? :)

Just kidding! Just wanted to waste space in the thread by thanking the author for a really unique, simplistic, dare I say elegant mod.

Great!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Pointer is now back to flow killing and the connection works pretty well too I think.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

By hacker I meant NET of course. Since NET is the faction with all the instahit weapons, while the two others have a hard time hitting a flying thing.

And yeah, NET going flow first is unbeatable against hacker or system. At least until joshcryer followed Neddie's advice.
Sertse

Post by Sertse »

Just popping on to say thanks to all who tolerated me today. KP is a very fun game

Actual KP is A LOT different from KP AI!
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

neddiedrow wrote:Screenshots.
There: http://zwzsg.hosted.luckz.de/img/spring ... nshots.zip

I hope the zip wasn't corrupted during upload, tell me if it is. It's all my screenshots, but of course some shouldn't be used. For instance the ByteWave.png is a 'shop of how I wanted the effect to looks like, but it was never done. There's a few old KP with beam laser on bits, which are now wholly outdated. The perly ONS beams are also very outdated. On the other hand, old hacker is still relevant :wink:. A few shots were taken just to show some bugs, or to show what a W.I.P. map looks like, so if a shot doesn't look like that great that may be why. Hmm, maybe I should have taken the time to clean that folder a bit before uploading come to think of it. In /IconsScreen/ there's the shots of units over black background, first at whatever size it was after cutting the raw screenshots, then resized at 96x96.

Don't forget:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1c19yaZac Cabbage KP's vid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GAZQhRlt5bU my KP's vid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MpKqQxTURik Pendrokar's vid (only a few seconds of KP, but otherwise the best Spring promo vid)

As for .sdf, you probably already have all mine since I keep playing on your autohost

Now, can we know what happens the 20th?
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

DoS's can also para flow very fast, but on a map like Marble Madness, it has to be something you are explicitly expecting.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

On the 17th I finish the semester. On the 20th I hope to have an advertising package complete.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You guys have a website then?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I don't expect it to go public until KP does.

Return to “Kernel Panic”