Kernel Panic - Page 5

Kernel Panic

Moderator: Content Developer

Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

How about BIOS and Firmware for the base and minilab, respectively?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Hm, I just noticed something funny:

Oh and the proposal/demo download has been updated to include the new units now.
Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by Boirunner »

W00t, checking it out as we speak. But where can I get these erom_cursors you seem to use?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

CAREFUL OR EA WILL SUE YOU JUST AS I CLICK ZE POST BUTON!

KDR, have you tried making the black parts translucent or adding translucency in general? Wait, spring won't render it double sided.. uh :(
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The file is included with Dozerz, for example. I didn't remember that I have to include that...

Rattle: I thought about that but it wouldn't fit for the current units (especially the ball and the cube's cylinder would look weird with transparency because of the inverted shell I used to give them an outline) and Boirunner wanted a more consistent style instead of a mishmash like Darwinia (would've made something like a Battlezone tank that used transparency). I think the solid look works better for these primitives.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

KDR_11k wrote:The file is included with Dozerz, for example. I didn't remember that I have to include that...

Rattle: I thought about that but it wouldn't fit for the current units (especially the ball and the cube's cylinder would look weird with transparency because of the inverted shell I used to give them an outline) and Boirunner wanted a more consistent style instead of a mishmash like Darwinia (would've made something like a Battlezone tank that used transparency). I think the solid look works better for these primitives.
?? - /me looks at sphere screenshots...

Nice, just realized you did the old "slacker cartoon shader" trick of the inverse-normal-shell. Hadn't noticed that before. Very clever.

*applause*
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

Man this is so awesome I just nerdgasmed playing the demo. And I don't nerdgasm lightly. :shock:

edit: to elaborate: the big guys look awesome, and the way they shoot, and the explosion... WOW. That's perfect! Love how the minilab looks, too. I adore the way you did the cube-cannon. And the lasers of the balls look sooooo sweet in a large battle. Perfect! Your work is seriously great!

edit: and the animation for building minilabs is fantastic! I absolutely love it. I'm working on unitpics now.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

This is gonna be a fun mod...
Blizzard 2

Post by Blizzard 2 »

I haven't played spring for a long time. But in my search of an abstract fast shoot em up like RTS i found this. I tested it with Boirunner. It's awesome.

Played it with oldskool music, big awesomeness.

Thx Boirunner for the concept, thx KDR_11k for the visual style.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

I can't wait to play the next version O_O!!!!

Fuck Darwinia, this shit looks awesome.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Um you should use deceleration instead of full stop for the spheres, i.e.

Code: Select all

stop-spin body around x-axis decelerate 7200;
Also, the cursors seem to be missing (for me).
Blizzard 2

Post by Blizzard 2 »

It needs erom_cursors.sd7, dl dozers mod to get them :)
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

OK then. I decided on the unitnames. We have bits, bytes, pointers, assemblers, kernels and sockets. A nerds wet dream :-)

I made icons and unitpics, so the mod is now playable, albeit very alpha. Who's up for some testing?

Get it here.

As Blizzard 2 says, you'll need the erom_cursors.sd7 file from the dozers mod.

edit: Played a few games. Balance is, as expected, horrible. I'll try to fix that and make a release to unknown-files by the end of the week. Until then, consider the download a techdemo. BUT BELIEVE ME IT'S A FUCKING AWESOME TECHDEMO!!!! KDR_11k you are the best.

edit: updated first post with newer info.
Last edited by Boirunner on 13 Feb 2007, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

assembler <3
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

You should make it a bundle - pack together the Dozers mod, the Kernel Panic mod, and the Kernel Panic map (and CVC if it was ever finished). A little bundle including this and KDR's experimental mods would be neato.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

Idea for a name for air transports (if there ever will be one): Bus. Or Front-Side Bus. Or Data Bus. You get the idea :P
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

So what happened to HUGE LIEK XBOX?
Blizzard 2

Post by Blizzard 2 »

And for the turret : maybe we can make it only buildable on metal patch?

Because actually we need really something to secure the main lab at least, it can be really destroyed easily by few bits or a pointers :)
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

rattle wrote:So what happened to HUGE LIEK XBOX?
it didn't make it to release LIEK SNES CD-ROM!

(Yeah, I liked the joke but replaced the unit description to something normal.)
Blizzard 2 wrote:And for the turret : maybe we can make it only buildable on metal patch?

Because actually we need really something to secure the main lab at least, it can be really destroyed easily by few bits or a pointers :)
Yeah, we need some rush protection. My idea was to give the kernel much more health, and a gun like the byte, so it could hold it's own against bytes. As an alternative (or maybe added to that), one could make it so that bits and bytes cannot harm kernels and sockets, so you need pointers to kill them.

Turrets only being able to fire on metal spots is a nice idea, does anyone know if it can be implemented?
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

wow, really nice work here, only the sounds are missing or?

Return to “Kernel Panic”