Kernel Panic - Page 44

Kernel Panic

Moderator: Content Developer

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: Kernel Panic

Post by KDR_11k »

Is that instead of the start script selector or only after you've selected map, mod and script?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Eh, like you guessed, indeed my menu comes after those three choices, which makes it a bit ankward, as you get asked about your map and script choices, that are then discarded. I know some Lua of the mod get executed before loading, but I'll never have DrawScreen or MousePress call-ins, nor gl. commands, from there. But anyway I'm not sure it's worth spending time perfecting it, since the whole concept is based on ugly hacks.

It's all the more ankward with the first menus being keyboard controlled and mine being mouse controlled, though adding keyboard support to my menu system wouldn't be too hard. But anyway I'm not sure it's worth spending time perfecting it, since the whole concept is based on ugly hacks.

I also have the issue of the new Spring.exe being sometimes minimised, due to the new Spring being launched when the old Spring quit, and I'm not certain adding sleep would help since the closing of old Spring would be held by that sleep as well. I could think of a solution involving a second external relauncher. But anyway I'm not sure it's worth spending time perfecting it, since the whole concept is based on ugly hacks.

I've been pretty excited to have managed to write my own menu handling system in Lua! Then I realised Complete Annihilation has had a much prettier and much more extensive menu system for like a year. :s
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

zwzsg, use a script file with a batch file/executable to skip the map/mod selection screens.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

You're kinda missing the point Alantai.

A batch file to run Spring with a script to skip the map/mod/script selection screens is what I used for KP1.5, in 2007.

An executable to generate a semi random script then run Spring with it is what I used for KP 3.0, last october.

But I was afraid some people would still run Spring.exe directly and get a bad impression from getting either crash (with most of scripts choice), or unenjoyable alone-in-battlefield party. So I added Lua to intercept Spring.exe being run directly and replace it with a Lua menu offering to rehost a working skirmish last weekend.

I figured it could be the first step to build something like every other RTS that has some ingame scene rendered with the engine under the main menu, and the ability to play mission after mission of a campaign without exiting the main program or having to pass through external program, beside the minor screen blink when entering and exiting missions.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

In that case, a simple error message of "Don't launch me through the Spring.EXE, please use the lobby or the single-player batches" would be sufficient.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Meh. Way to ruin my thrills, Pxtl.

Though I shall add such a disclaimer at once, right between the hardcoded mod/map/script menu and my Lua menu, since it's so clunky anyway.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You didnt get what i meant

A proxy program thats quite simple

If ran with a parameter ti passes the parameters to teh real spring.exe and launches. Else it launches spring.exe usign a script.txt to launch the menu system. Once the menu system has exited it launches sprign again using the script it generated.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

That is not what I was trying to achieve.

"What you mean" only works whent the player always runs the proxy, never run the Spring.exe

What I want is a failsafe when a nub does run Spring.exe directly.

By the way, have you tried my lasted KP installer and the "Single Player" link it dumps in your Desktop?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

That's why you rename spring.exe to something else and call the proxy program spring.exe, or better yet, kernelpanic.exe
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

If you rename it won't that break the lobby?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Not if the proxy passes on the parameters it get's properly to the real spring.exe
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

There is a problem with the NX Flag: The pointer prefers to fire the NX Flag at any enemy in range instead of where it is told to.

KDR_11k, could you have a look at this?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The command tells the COB to unlock the weapon and then converts into an attack order, may have been a dgun order though and those get dropped now for units without a dgun.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

For weapon switching, isn't the best approach to actually morph the unit into a clone with the new weapon and transfer the orders? Labour-intensive, but isn't that the only way to change the "primary" weapon?

Either way, I had a different idea on how to make the Pointer more "exciting" instead of the NX flag - allow it to launch Bits. That is, d-gun command grabs the nearest available bit (within range) and fires it to the target location (bit takes some damage from the teleportation). Considering the Pointer's range, that could be useful for some nasty tactical tricks. With several pointers and bits you could do a really nasty deep-strike or circumvent defenses. Although the NX flag is already implemented, so I guess I'm too late with that suggestion.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Err, a complete double morph just to fire secondary weapon seem a bit overkill. I forgot, what was the reason to use that bos-script-locked weapon instead of a plain dgun, KDR?

I don't think a single bit thrown into the enemy ranks would achieve anything, and throwing a whole squad of bits at once would be micro-intensive. I like the idea, though, catapulted units is a concept from long ago but never implemented right. Not going to code that now, but I'll try to keep that in the corner of my head for when I'll need a new arty unit idea.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Micro-intensive? Have mixed swarm of bits and pointers. Double-click pointers. D-gun target location. Repeat d-gun until bits are depleted.

My point is that all bits are treated as equal by the pointers - just grab whatever bit is handy within 400 elmos or so, don't force the user to pick a bit.

But yeah, save it for later. I have about a half-dozen faction ideas I want to get to try my hand at implementing when I get the time (which will never, ever, ever happen).
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

zwzsg wrote:Err, a complete double morph just to fire secondary weapon seem a bit overkill. I forgot, what was the reason to use that bos-script-locked weapon instead of a plain dgun, KDR?
I simply have no freaking clue how the dgun mechanic works so the unit doesn't just fire the weapon normally.

As for pointers teleporting bits, I don't like that. I considered it for the Network medium unit but scrapped the idea because I figured it's stupid.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

As for pointers teleporting bits, I don't like that. I considered it for the Network medium unit
Yeah, projecting units forward is much more a Network method than a system one.
KDR_11k wrote:I simply have no freaking clue how the dgun mechanic works so the unit doesn't just fire the weapon normally.
Indeed, the way Spring runs D-Gun is mysterious: I just tried removing the script lock and adding CanDGun to the pointer FBI, and then it kept auto and manually firing the NX all the time and never its regular shot!

However, it appears I just fixed the NX problem by inserting the order at position 0 instead of 1.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

To help me get my double posting spread over more threads, please come visit Smoth's hosted K.P. subforum.

I just stole a feature from KDR_11k lastest minimod:

However, I have to ask: How dangerous is it to do some:

Code: Select all

getfenv(0).AllowUnsafeChanges("USE AT YOUR OWN PERIL")
Spring.DestroyFeature(f)
Spring.CreateFeature("geovent", g.x, g.y, g.z)
getfenv(0).AllowUnsafeChanges("off")
Inside gadget:Initialize() ?
flop

Post by flop »

kernel panic is COOL :)

Return to “Kernel Panic”