Kernel Panic 4.8

Kernel Panic 4.8

Moderator: Content Developer

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Kernel Panic 4.8

Post by zwzsg »

Kernel Panic 4.8 out!

Spring 104 had been out for 2 years, but only this week someone tried Kernel Panic and reported to me it wasn't working.
The main breaking change introduced by Spring 104 was the very interface to know the version of Spring. :roll:
  • Complete Installer (Windows)
  • Zipped Mod, Maps, and Launcher
  • Just the .sd7

4.7 -> 4.8 changes:
    • Fix gadgets, widgets, addons crashing because Game.version got moved to Engine.version
    • Using Spring.Reload in Direct Launch widget, since Spring.Restart(startscript_filename,"") seems to fail.
    • Using the skewed style buttons I made for GRTS in Direct Launch widget
    • Fix packets undeployable on Hex Farm
    • Give full los to everybody when ColorWars growth starts
    • Yes I edited the readme part about FireStorm maps license.

For single player, use either the ingame frontend, or the wxLua external launcher (either should work both for Windows and Linux). For multiplayer, I don't know what lobby are hip nowadays. I put Springlobby in the Windows Complete installer.
Kimapr

Re: Kernel Panic 4.8

Post by Kimapr »

Wow, cool, thanks! I think it would be even cooler if there was a repository of Kernel Panic, I would help you with developing. I bet someone else will help too.
Kimapr

Post by Kimapr »

Buut, still some problems with Spring 104. Here are crazy I get when tried to play Hex Farm:
hexfarmglitches.png
(917.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Please put:

AdvMapShading = 0

in your springsettings.cfg

and try again.
kotenok2000

Post by kotenok2000 »

Kernel_Panic_4.8_Launcher_Windows.exe can't find spring.exe.
szpak

Post by szpak »

FYI. To make KP 4.8 work with Spring 104.0 (and nightly) on Fedora 31 I had to add "HangTimeout = -10" to springsettings.cfg to avoid:
> [Watchdog] Hang detection triggered for Spring 104.0 on Fedora
on the Spring statup. Not KP specific, but it prevented me from playing the game.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

kotenok2000 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 14:53Kernel_Panic_4.8_Launcher_Windows.exe can't find spring.exe.
It expects everything to be in the same folder. I don't handle installs where programs, setting and data are all separated.
szpak wrote: 11 May 2020, 19:07FYI. To make KP 4.8 work with Spring 104.0 (and nightly) on Fedora 31 I had to add "HangTimeout = -10" to springsettings.cfg to avoid:
> [Watchdog] Hang detection triggered for Spring 104.0 on Fedora
on the Spring statup. Not KP specific, but it prevented me from playing the game.
Spring dev added this to detect when Spring is unresponsive for too long, unfortunately it does not differentiate between stuck up and long loading that will eventually finish.

Could be helpful to know which loading phase triggered it, but maybe that's a bit much to ask of you.
szpak

Post by szpak »

zwzsg wrote: 13 May 2020, 15:34 Could be helpful to know which loading phase triggered it, but maybe that's a bit much to ask of you.
Spring engine itself loads 20+ seconds even my quite decent hardware. I'm fine with waiting so long, but there is just black screen, without any "Loading...". I wonder where it would be best to report that suggestion? The forum? Bug tracker?
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

For now, the forum, either here or there.

Each time Spring is run, it creates a file called infolog.txt, that tells us what happened. Do you have an infolog.txt where it had the "Hang detection triggered" ? Maybe it could help us narrow done which loading phase took too long.
szpak

Post by szpak »

zwzsg wrote: 15 May 2020, 00:11 Each time Spring is run, it creates a file called infolog.txt, that tells us what happened. Do you have an infolog.txt where it had the "Hang detection triggered" ? Maybe it could help us narrow done which loading phase took too long.
I put the file in that thread: viewtopic.php?p=594076#p594076 (there is a variant from the nightly version, but something similar happens in the latest stable).
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Well, it seems the hang occurs in a very C++ part of Spring.
If it had been during a Lua script, which are part of the mod/game (Kernel Panic) I could have helped, but this seem to be inside the internal of the engine (Spring), so let's hope a proper engine dev can notice it.
szpak

Post by szpak »

The Spring engine alone starts 20+ seonds. I created this thread.

Return to “Kernel Panic”