Kernel Panic upgrade to Spring 100.0

Moderator: Content Developer

Zigaroula

Post by Zigaroula »

Hello.

I, alongside my work team, am currently developping a level editor for a game that somewhat depends on Kernel Panic 4.1 (the editor and the game were made under Spring 82.5.1, on which KP4.1 works). You can find information about the game here : https://www.irit.fr/ProgAndPlay/index_en.php.

We upgraded both the editor and the game to Spring Engine 100.0, and we hoped that it would work with the lastest release of Kernel Panic (which is 4.6). Although most of what we have done so far still works (creating units, moving them ...), some "advanced" functionalities are not working, as evoked in this thread : viewtopic.php?f=43&t=33936.
Until now, levels have been created using KP, and although we could use another game such as BA, we love KP"s environment.

I would like to know how the development of KP is going, if you have a dev version that works but is not ready for a public release and if maybe we could help in upgrading it to Spring 100.0.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Zigaroula.
gajop

Re: Kernel Panic upgrade to Spring 100.0

Post by gajop »

Wow, This is very interesting!

I'm intrigued, so here's a couple of questions:
- Why did you need to modify Spring, and can any of the modifications be applied upstream? (Otherwise it will quickly become outdated).
- Can you show any screenshots/videos of the editor and the missions? I'll likely try to compile everything when I have more time but this needs more media!
- What happened to the chili node editor you were making? It seems that it's all now in C/Java, with no mention of Lua.

PS: You should also cleanup English on the site, especially since you've added documentation and may want to make publications with it. I think I even saw "responsability" and some grammar errors in the video.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Oh it's you, Mitmat!

Yes, I stopped developping Kernel Panic about 3 years ago, because it had become tedious to spend several nights every Spring release to fix new bugs, and not even manage to catch up.

Here's my temp dev version, where I fixed some but not all things that went broken with Spring 100.0:
http://zwzsg.luckz.de/stuff/spring/mods ... c_4.73.sd7
Zigaroula

Post by Zigaroula »

zwzsg :
Well, I am not Mitmat, I am just working with him on the Prog&Play Level Editor side project. I clearly understand the reasons why you stopped working on upgrading KP to the lastest version of Spring. Thanks for sharing your dev version, I'll see if we can get something from it :-) !

gajop :
Thanks for the feedback, we'll use it to improve the website. As for the questions :
- I am not the main developper of Prog&Play, thus I don't know why there was a real need to modify Spring Engine. I'll ask Mitmat about it. You may find information about it in the thread linked by zwzsg.
- The editor is still not ready for a public release. When it will be, you can be sure there will be a video and screenshots of it.
- The chili node editor is part of the editor, written only in Lua, that's why there is no mention of it on the website (since the editor is not finished yet).
gajop

Post by gajop »

Thanks for the answers. I'm mostly looking forward to see more about the chili node editor. Hopefully you'll be able to design it in such a way that it can be used for multiple purposes like the Blender and Unity node editors where they're used for material/shader editing, animations, and many more things.

Return to “Kernel Panic”