Kernel Panic 4.4 - Page 2

Kernel Panic 4.4

Moderator: Content Developer

smoth

Re: Kernel Panic 4.4

Post by smoth »

Waffle: a new unit that can only be defeated by either eating it or attacking it's top with syrup.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Neddie wrote:Anything else that might make it into 4.5?
The only changes I've gathered so far are:
- Removed the debug code in specialattack.lua that caused issue to Spring 87
- Update the flows speed often, as an attempt to override max speed change getting reset
- Changed carrier animation script to detect cancel differently

But I'm not even sure they're worth making a 4.5, considering the speed change still isn't properly fixed, and that Spring 88 prints errors but don't crash on the for name,param in weaponDef:pairs()
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

I doubt this'll get read any time soon, but theres a major bug with kernel panic.

It doesn't run! I can get it as far as the menus, with the units battling in the background, but once I try to run the game, it quits to the desktop. no popup message no nothing! I use windows 7 btw.
knorke

Post by knorke »

(try to) play a game of KP, then post the infolog.txt file
http://springrts.com/wiki/Infolog.txt
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

here it is. before you ask, I've tried installing it as a separate game with its own version of spring, but that didn't work either.
Attachments
infolog.txt
(25.65 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

um... is someone gonna reply?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Code: Select all

[f=0000000] Error: LuaUI::RunCallIn: error = 2, DrawScreenEffects, [string "LuaUI/widgets.lua"]:1292: attempt to index local 'w' (a nil value)
[f=0000000] User exited
did you disable lua ui in your spring settings maybe?
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

I highly doubt that thats the problem, but I'll try anyway... and uh... how do you do that?
knorke

Post by knorke »

it is not that. if you read the line above it tells that the "w is nil" message is normal.

Maybe it is because you are the only player and also a spectator?
[f=0000000] Spectator SPIM finished loading and is now ingame
[f=0000000] User exited
Uncheck the [x]spectate checkbox and add a "Kernel Panic AI" bot player.
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

um... no. I'm using the kernel panic launcher. I'm using the spectate option which means bot vs bot. it worked in the previous version I played... which was 4.0 I think.
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

so... nothing? :cry:
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

smoth wrote:

[f=0000000] Error: LuaUI::RunCallIn: error = 2, DrawScreenEffects, [string "LuaUI/widgets.lua"]:1292: attempt to index local 'w' (a nil value)
[f=0000000] User exited
did you disable lua ui in your spring settings maybe?
Smoth, you should have noticed it was preceded by :

The line below may complain about 'w' being nil, that is normal
It's because the widget that does the ingame menu switches off all widgets so brutally it spouts this harmless error.

Dotz wrote:I doubt this'll get read any time soon, but theres a major bug with kernel panic.

It doesn't run! I can get it as far as the menus, with the units battling in the background, but once I try to run the game, it quits to the desktop. no popup message no nothing! I use windows 7 btw.
That sounds like Spring.Restart failing. It happens for some people. Far too many actually. And I cannot fix it without an engine dev being involved.

Your best option is to not use the ingame menu but another method to start your game. Such as the external launcher, (Kernel_Panic_4.4_Launcher.exe) or one of the many lobbies.
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

I figured it was related to that. I guess I'll have to wait for a new version of spring.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Oh, nobody is working on that part of Spring anymore as far as I know, and the bug isn't new. So don't wait for new version of the engine, instead use other ways to run a skirmish.
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

I just tried that. the external launcher just runs spring.exe and if I try to run KP in that, I'll end up in the menu again.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

That means that somehow Spring wasn't fed the start script. Maybe you have a Spring install where Spring and Spring data are in different forlder? Or maybe it's a permission thing? Does it work better as an admin? Does it work better out of /Program Files/ or other protected fodlers?

Can you find the file Kernel_Panic_script.txt ? Anywhere in your hard drive?

It should be created by Kernel_Panic_4.4_Launcher.exe and then passed as argument to Spring.exe

Your problem is that either it's not created, either it's created in a place Spring.exe cannot see, either it's created in the wrong place.
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

I just moved my entire spring folder out of program files, and it worked fine. my computer is a pain in the ass, it won't let my change the permissions of program files to read and write. EVEN THOUGH THIS IS MY DAMNED MACHINE!

sorry, lol. technology just pisses me off sometimes.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

On the plus side, you can now play Kernel Panic!

I'll try to remember to add some check about whether Spring can read/write in the folder it's in, so that my menu would display a helpful error message instead of abruptly quitting without leaving a clue.
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

oh btw, when attempting to start another game from the menu while another game is taking place, the game seems to start, like the sounds play and everything, but it remains on my desktop.

Return to “Kernel Panic”