hero unit sometimes stuck in factory

Moderator: Content Developer

knorke

Post by knorke »

played some multi games with hero mode and it seems sometimes you can not leave your homebase.
also if your homebase is destroyed you can not respawn anymore but that is not obvious.
overall it is really cool if you get it to work, on 50% of the games one player could not leave factory or startpositions were strange. (but maybe that was just the noobhost)
if the factory is blocked by near by units you also can not respawn.
maybe best if the player units does not get build from factory but just appears near it (with some effect)?

btw, what are those big transparent things?
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19 ... 00189.jpg/
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: hero unit sometimes stuck in factory

Post by zwzsg »

knorke wrote:played some multi games with hero mode and it seems sometimes you can not leave your homebase.
What was the map? Got a replay? Did you experience it yourself or was it the other players?

knorke wrote:also if your homebase is destroyed you can not respawn anymore but that is not obvious.
Yes, play heroes on Comm Death exclusively. I wish I could make some mod options linked to other mod options, it's not the only time I wish I could remove or add certain mod options depending on the choice on others, but afaik it's not possible. Well, soon, when game end condition will be Luaed I could make the gadget diregard the tickbox in the lobby, but that would be quite counter-intuitive.

knorke wrote:or startpositions were strange.
Not much I can do about that, beside disregarding host & player choice. But, because of my philosophical beliefs, I prefer to let the host & player in control, and close my eyes on the fact many players will be stupid and pick stupid start pos, that to acknowledge the fact and remove control from players & hosts to prevent the possibility of stupidity.

Though I really really wish TASClient (other lobby too) would obey the default I set for start pos type.

knorke wrote:if the factory is blocked by near by units you also can not respawn.
Well, theorically the engine shouldn't let factories be clogged. That still leave the problem of unit under construction, and yes it's annoying when the IA just decided to build a costly unit like a byte and you have to wait for it to be finished before it spawns you. Maybe I could make the AI more clever and cancel every other build order when heroes are in need of respawning.

knorke wrote:maybe best if the player units does not get build from factory but just appears near it (with some effect)?
I am opposed to that, because of my philosophical beliefs, I insist that the virtual world beyond the glass window of my computer is coherent, obeying to intuitive physical rules, and that things come from somewhere logical instead of magically appearing out of thin air. I don't only want gameplay, I also want a believable world that does not constantly remind you its artificiality. Even if KP may not have the theme where this ideal fits best.

knorke wrote:btw, what are those big transparent things?
They were meant to help you locate the other heroes. Because the field of view is limited to your own hero, and because battling other human controlled units is likely more interesting than battling IA spam, I wanted some way for other heroes to signal their position in way visibiel from all over the map. So I though about those expanding ghosts, centered on the heroes. Then I found out it wasn't that helpful in seeing where other were, and added player names clipped to the screen edge. But I still left the old way in.
knorke

Post by knorke »

while searching for the replays i played one replay and it played different then in the real game.
(replay attached)
It is easy to notice because when I say "hi" in chat
[f=0003588] <[RoX]knorke> hi
that was actually when I was driving around abma's homebase (who was stuck there)
In the replay my hero is somewhere else. Rest of the game plays totally different too of course.

http://pastebin.com/B4SynwDA
(dont mind the [f=0000000] *** pieces tree of kernel *** spam, its from some widget that accidently activated)

The "not being able to move out of factory" happend to me and others.
It seems keyboard controll works by giving orders to the unit? Maybe waypoints were invalid (ie outside map or on cliffs)
Attachments
20110623_042412_Dual Core_0.82.7.sdf
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
knorke

Post by knorke »

this "desyncs" too: after some seconds hero units stop moving.
the start where i kill zatch's hero is correct, after that heros do not move anymore.
Attachments
20110623_040403_pacman_0.82.7.sdf
desyncs too
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
knorke

Post by knorke »

one with hero stuck at start
Attachments
20110623_034909_DigitalDivide_PT2_0.82.7.sdf
hero cant move out
(500.39 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

After testing with knorke, we found out that the issue was that the ""Kernel Panic Hotkeys" widget was disabled. And so didn't execute:

Code: Select all

Spring.SendCommands({"bind down hero_south"})
  Spring.SendCommands({"bind up hero_north"})
  Spring.SendCommands({"bind left hero_west"})
  Spring.SendCommands({"bind right hero_east"})
It's still mysterious how come this widget came to be switched off though.

Return to “Kernel Panic”