Kernel Panic Logo Title - Page 4

Kernel Panic Logo Title

Moderator: Content Developer

hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Re: Kernel Panic Logo Title

Post by hoijui »

Tim, i think for the CRT like distortion, it would have to be the other way around. magnified in the center, not larger towards the edges.
Not totally sure though.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Tim Blokdijk wrote:I really have to go to bed as I have to work tomorrow (or actually that's today..) so I can't explain why I changed what I changed. But it's still all experimentation. Mainly it's less Tron and more something that's on itself. If that brings it closer to 'Kernel Panic' the game is up for discussion.

Large version: http://timblokdijk.nl/spring/Kernel%20P ... _large.png

Blender 2.49b file: http://timblokdijk.nl/spring/Kernel%20P ... nel3.blend
The file is free to use for any purpose.

I used some parts of this tutorial to get myself going: http://www.blenderguru.com/create-a-glowing-neon-sign/ it's one of the tutorials linked from http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/ best of luck.
I like this one but would prefer teal
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

SinbadEVKernelPanicLogo.png
SinbadEVKernelPanicLogo.png (533 Bytes) Viewed 9792 times
Perhaps to act as inspiration?
smoth

Post by smoth »

ew
knorke

Post by knorke »

well, for a Qbasic game...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

SinbadEV wrote:Image
Perhaps to act as inspiration?
KP is not Dwarf Fortress, Nethack, a text adventure, or some other ascii game.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Not, If, then, wat am i playing all the time? :)

Defend your design against those who want to pixelart it, fight
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

PicassoCT wrote:Not, If, then, wat am i playing all the time? :)

A real time (not turned based like SinbadEV logo suggests) strategy game, fast and intense (not slow-paced and long-winded like SinbadEV logo suggests), easy to start and learn (not super deep and unforgiving like SinbadEV logo suggests), with a sharp vectorial old school look (not pixel old school, not textual old school like SinbadEV logo suggests), running on a sleek ~modern engine (not an antiquated clockwork like SinbadEV logo suggests).

So my prefered logo so far is still Tim Blokdijk's logo:

The later version got too complicated IMO, a logo should stay simple, and not have three far apart colors, lines broken for no reasons, faint faded background layer, or more generally too many details.

Because a logo has to be readable with ease, and to work well with any background or surrounding. Like:

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

zwzsg wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:Not, If, then, wat am i playing all the time? :)

A real time (not turned based like SinbadEV logo suggests) strategy game, fast and intense (not slow-paced and long-winded like SinbadEV logo suggests), easy to start and learn (not super deep and unforgiving like SinbadEV logo suggests), with a sharp vectorial old school look (not pixel old school, not textual old school like SinbadEV logo suggests), running on a sleek ~modern engine (not an antiquated clockwork like SinbadEV logo suggests).

So my prefered logo so far is still Tim Blokdijk's logo:

I retract my submission (inspired by the name rather then the game itself) and throw my support behind:

vectorized, simple, slightly distorted (indicating the organic gameplay) and reminiscent of the TRON 2 logo
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I rather like MidKnight's 3-color variant... but in general, any version of that awesome vectrex-style thing is perfect.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

MidKnight wrote:Image
I think I like this one the best so far. KP has a tendency to be an eyesore which is unfortunate, but imo this logo I can look at for more than 5 seconds without getting a headache.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Looks cool, but as someone said, it needs some "CRT" look:

bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I think you mean this:
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

For The Record:
The reason I didn't use the lens distortion filter (the stretch effect) in my variants is that it makes the text a little harder to read, and also because the stretch effect looks kind of irregular to me, which frustrates some little instinct of mine somewhere deep down.
I instead opted to tilt the 2 text planes, so that the top and bottom edges are closer to the camera than the the center parts. IMO, it looks much cleaner and more regular, at the expense of a little of the retro charm (but only a little! ;) )

Anyway, how's this for a CRT effect? (click for full size (also, no ugly mipmapping patterns))
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

I connected the alpha channel in the compositor and played with the settings to get the right transparency. Flipped the stretch effect to see what it would do. As teal is quite popular I reverted to that colour, I do plan to do a few renders with different colours. I've removed the Spring logo in the background and the line in the middle. So essentially it's the first logo with the updated letters from the second.
I also decided to make this version, the pacman reference adds in the fun that's not expressed well by the earlier logo's, it also makes the the red/orange logo less aggressive. But I don't have a render of that right now. It's essentially a play on FireStorm_'s experiment to put a bit unit next to the logo.
Anyways, it should be put onto a few backgrounds see how it holds up.

Click on the pictures above for the HD png versions or use the source files below.
Gimp version: http://timblokdijk.nl/spring/Kernel%20P ... o/0001.xcf & http://timblokdijk.nl/spring/Kernel%20P ... o/0002.xcf
@Neddie, this is the basic shape that can be vectorised: http://timblokdijk.nl/spring/Kernel%20P ... tor001.png

Updated Blender 2.49b file: http://timblokdijk.nl/spring/Kernel%20P ... nel4.blend
The file is free to use for any purpose, but I do like to steal improvements so post your source (blend) file when your into that.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

put the two on a black background.
and the original one:

i like the first and the original one the most.
Attachments
0002s_black_bg.png
(87.15 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
0001s_black_bg.png
(83.86 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Would be cool if you could get some kind of neon/glowy effect with the logo on the loading screen.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Yea, it needs a bit more brightness. I've been playing (the past hour) with a KP screenshot as a background. Only with a black background things look ok but once different colours mix with the logo.. the logo has to little "body" to really stand out. So maybe I need to add the Spring logo again behind the logo to give a consistent solid contrast. It's tail and error.
Reversing the stretch effect.. it's a bit more round, it has less "bang" now. The old effect gave it sharper corners giving a more action feel to it. Maybe MidKnight's and TradeMark's scan-lines attempts are the way to go for a crt effect.

Anyways, the blend file is set up to render the alpha now, that's working correctly. Just more toying with the settings, Blender renders to a "void" background while outside blender there's always a background that mixes with the logo. The effect is that the preview render in Blender is a lot brighter.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Attachments
kp.jpg
(275.71 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I like the concave one, it may not be realistic but it stands out.

Return to “Kernel Panic”