Chiptune Music

Chiptune Music

Moderator: Content Developer

Noruas
XTA Developer

Chiptune Music

Post by Noruas »

If I could find some free licensed or even ask someone to make 8-bit type music for Kernel Panic or something that sounds computery, could we add it to Kernel Panic by default?
Jazcash

Re: 8-Bit Music

Post by Jazcash »

Rip some C64 SID's :D
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

If you can just find some public domain music you like it's pretty easy to convert it to a midi to make it sound old-fashioned.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Do we have a midi playing widget? I have three partial soundtracks originally intended for two top-down shooters and a remake of Blaster Master somewhere.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Caydr wrote:If you can just find some public domain music you like it's pretty easy to convert it to a midi to make it sound old-fashioned.
There's a PD MIDI collection of all the songs Scott Joplin wrote, we can test your theory with that...
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

don't use midi please, it'll sound differently on different sound hardware/software. dump as ogg please.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

i really like the paragonX9 song, i give it a +1!

so you guys should get it, convert it into an .ogg, then make a widget (or find one, i think one already exists) and add the tune to it's list
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

http://www.lo-bat.be/ has some cool CC music in the right genre
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

If I wanted music _right now_ for KP, I'd go and grab the Oggs (they're a CC license don't remember which) from the original Aardappel Cube game (In a newer version they got replaced with a more straight-up metal/guitar soundtrack by a player named Fanatic). The original music was a nice mix of retro-electronica and rock. The soundtrack was called Pingpong.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

It's spelt Kernel.

Paragon is way too catchy for KP! Remember you have a RTS to play while listening to the music! Also, paragon sounds more like something that'd be played by a spritish Snes or Megadrive than by some older wireframey game.

Making a widget that runs Spring.PlaySoundStream("Music.ogg") is not a problem. The problem is finding the right music and integrate it properly.

KP can get pretty noisy if a game last more than 5 mins. You'd have to make sure the game sound and the music blend well, without the game sound ruining the music, and without the music making it harder to get the audio cue of what's happening in the game.

Also, instead of always the same music, I would like many many short tracks, each with a "mood", so that I could have "Build Up" music, "Under Attack" music, "pwnzoring" music, and make the gadget pick a music "mood" according to what's going on. You'd need also to have tracks that can be played one after another without hearing the transition. Or if not possible for between all tracks, then I'll need a table of what track can transition to what track. There can only be one ogg stream played at a time, so fading in one track while fading out the other is not feasible.

The complete KP installer (Mod+Engine+Maps+..) is currently about 30 MB. I wouldn't want to double the download size just because of music. So keep filesize small.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

I wonder how hard it would be to write a tracker music (.mod, .xm, etc) engine in lua :twisted:
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Oh, and I just tried to play a KP game with Metropolis by ParagonX9 playing in the background: It doesn't fit. The music evoked lightness and speed, while I had to fight inch by inch with a massive flipped bug army. The music conveyed feelings of joyously prancing in a sunny countryside, while I was fighting a war in a dark austere setting.

(Nothing against that music, I'm now listening to Chaoz Airflow (Air and flow in the title, doesn't that sound sooo KPish? ;) ) and like it alot.)
exdeath

Post by exdeath »

the right name of that type of music is chiptune, not every chiptune is 8-bit.

an artist called mister beep has some 1bit chiptunes.
you can get some songs on his website http://mister_beep.republika.pl/
Wisse

Re: Chiptune Music

Post by Wisse »

I love this song. If it was only a bit longer.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

i just tried to imagine playing KP with Paragon, and zwzsg is right, it doesnt fit, but it is still cool!
Eisi

Post by Eisi »

someone could make some music using lmms and the integrated C64 SID emulation.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

But who?
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

well, the only flaw with paragon is the megaman-like rhythm it has to it. KP games don't go to that rhythm. I'm not sure why you want 8-bit music, as anything that sounds computerish would work.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

i like that Megaman beat (it would work as battle music)

Return to “Kernel Panic”