Using Mission Editor with Kernel Panic

Moderator: Content Developer

martus

Post by martus »

Hello,

I would like to know whether an update of kernel panic (or a work around) which would make it possible Mission Editor to work with is planned ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Using Mission Editor with Kernel Panic

Post by zwzsg »

I entertain myself with the idea of making some tutorials and campaign for Kernel Panic, one day, maybe, far in the future, if I don't get distracted by ... oh look there's a new shiny project there!

But then I would create my own mission system from scratch instead of using CA's Mission Editor.

Meanwhile, if you want to, feel free to make KP missions using CA's Mission Editor. Though... what is that talk about having to update or work around Kernel Panic to make it compatible with CA's Mission Editor? Well, if you need to add or modify a bunch of new files to use CA's Mission Systems, you can still pack them in some sd7 with a modinfo that has a Depend0=Kernel_Panic_3.5.sd7; or just make a new KP version.

What I mean, is that I won't do it, but you can do it. KP doesn't belong to me, and with the license KDR_11k chose for KP, anyone is free to do anything with KP. So do it, fork if you must. If you do some amazing missions (and their license allows it), then I'll likely include them in my new KP releases just because a single complete KP makes things easier both for maintainers and players.
martus

Post by martus »

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your answer, I have now some tips to go further.

Regards.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

I got the first version of my very own mission spawner to work.
[01:59] <zwzsg[IRC]> I think I will dub it ...
[02:00] <zwzsg[IRC]> Universe Creator!
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Abstract:
Use the command /dump command to create a mission!

Details:
Kernel Panic 3.6 is out. It contains my code to handle missions, as well as 2-4 exemple missions.

To build a mission:
1) Create a folder /Missions/ in your Spring folder (or your Spring Data folder).
2) Play a game. Any kind of game will do: Multiplayer, Skirmish, launched by any lobby, or the internal or external launcher, including another missions.
3) To create and place units:
Use the cheat codes such as:
[ENTER] /cheat [ENTER]
[ENTER] /give ass [TAB] [ENTER]
or just normal playing
(And Ctrl+D to remove them)
4) Give orders to units. You may want to have game paused from this stage on. Use the [SHIFT] key to enqueue tons of move or fight command. Turn off worm autohold. Set factories waypoint and buildqueue. Or about any other you can think of. Avoid order where the target is another unit though, I haven't finished coding that part.
5) Type [ENTER] /dump MyMission [ENTER] Avoid spaces in your mission name, becaused I wanted /dump to have as extra argument how abbreviated should the startscript be and what grid size snapping to use (but I am not done coding those extra parameters, so don't use them.)
6) Exit game
7) Open the file /Missions/MyMission.txt in notepad
8) Modify as fit. For exemple
9) Set the AI to use ShortName=Regenerative AI; or ShortName=Kernel Panic AI; or ShortName=Doing Nothing;
10) Delete some units by removing the corresponding u5=...; line. Yes you can delete those lines without having to renumber them all.
11) Clean the order list of units: I tried to make the widget already write rather concise line, but it's still not perfect. Also, there are some orders that are not saved, or not restored, correctly.
12) Change ModOptions. For instance, you may want to have wall on when building the missions, but off when playing it so future players can't wall up an hacker AI. Or have the end condition set to 0 so you can have teams without homebases.
13) Also, the player specific sos and noons options can't be set by lobbies, only by my launchers, but can be added manually.
14) There are some special orders, such as TimeWait 10 (to wait 10sec) or Transfer 0 (to give the unit to Team 0) that can't be given ingame so have to be written manually in the Mission.txt.
14) Save the mission.txt
15) Run Spring.exe directly. Pick Kernel Panic 3.6 as mod, any "script" any map.
16) Click "missions", yours should be here. Click it to run it.
17) Post the .txt of your missions in this forum so other players can get them.
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

what? :P

seriously though, I think that if you condense the wording or something (or make an actual application to make missions) then it will seem less complicated.

I like this whole missions Idea, I could actually have a mission where you fight the fairies (or whatever they're called) or the old hackers... and maybe the third faction if you fixed their tech... I have a few ideas for each. That just made me think of an idea: what if there are certain units that can only be used by the computer in a mission?... yeah right, thats cool, but its never gonna happen.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Dotz wrote:seriously though, I think that if you condense the wording or something
Use the command /dump to create a mission!
Dotz wrote:an actual application to make missions
Spring.exe
Dotz wrote:I like this whole missions Idea, I could actually have a mission where you fight the fairies (or whatever they're called) or the old hackers... and maybe the third faction if you fixed their tech...
The exemple mission "Herd and Pick" is now using the "expmobile" unit from the "Experiment" secret 6th faction.

The only pitfall is that the folder /Missions/ has to be created manually. Other than that, in the middle of any game, type /dump, and bam, mission created and added to the list of available missions.

Return to “Kernel Panic”