oh lawdy

oh lawdy

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

smoth

oh lawdy

Post by smoth »

Attachments
3-29-2012 6-31-54 PM.jpg
(295.08 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Google_Frog

Re: oh lawdy

Post by Google_Frog »

Indeed, the amphbots newspost would have been more appropriate though. According to the stats the most recent news is of poor quality, also the second bump after the stats may correspond to the banner placement.
Attachments
screenshot.png
(29.33 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
smoth

Post by smoth »

even still, I get tons more hits on my news and never made the banner. So I think it is a neat thing that you guys made the banner!
knorke

Post by knorke »

The picture and text are not that attractive. On the picture it is hard to see what it shows and the text is like "some bugfix thingy"

Compare to text from other banners that currently circle:
Fight your way through hordes of strange, silly, and scary monsters!
Siege of Turtle Enclave v0.2a Released!
Nostalgic graphics, text-based adventure with a captivating storyline for modern times.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

I see knorke is a bounty of sunshine as usual.

Although he has a point, bugfixes are really boring. In general the news needs to be more 'humanized', i.e. instead of saying "There is a new bantha model" it should be "CaptBenz, who many people might know as a regular player and contributor, has again put his skills to the test and created an awesome new model for the bantha superunit."

Or something like that. It might seem silly but conveying that the developers and playerbase are regular people with visions and challanges appeals a lot more to people than a utilitarian changelog.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Image :shock:
Sorry if it was too blunt, I just dont feel like prefixing every post with "that is great but..."
Of course it is cool that a spring game gets some primetime. :-)
---
Headlines about bugfixes are only interessting if the reader knows that there was a bug in the first place. (=is already familiar with the product)
The banner aims to attract new players, so it misses the point a bit.
changelog from zK page wrote:Now that there is an official release it should be easier for Linux users to find pre-complied packages.
Maybe that could have made for a headline?

But it seems this version has no that superinteressting changes, like new units (amphic factory)
I guess that is ok, most releases are of the nature that "everything just gets a little nicer."
So if there is no clear highlight, I would just put a description of the game. For example:
Zero-K is a free online RTS game.
-> get the newest version! (now with engine packages for linux)
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Even if the release is not particularly newsworthy I make it news just to bump the page back up the "recent advances" list. I have no control over what goes into the banner and did not realise they had bannerised the last news until this thread.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

maybee we really should add a nicethings autogenerator, that adds the usual "Great, you ve done a effort... now onwards to the bugs i noticed, because i actually looked at it."

I still chuckle at times on the lua-bible..
Tons of praise beneath (which is actually deserved, its a good doc)
Not one mentioning the ToDos that are still written under some functions. void pRaise(every recent Advance) for example
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

smoth wrote:even still, I get tons more hits on my news and never made the banner. So I think it is a neat thing that you guys made the banner!
GRTS was on the banner once. Does that happen without the games knowing? (Wouldn't surprise me, modDB's notification system is practically non-existant)

Congrats Zero-K :-)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

banner bois.. run the
smoth

Post by smoth »

SanadaUjiosan wrote:
smoth wrote:even still, I get tons more hits on my news and never made the banner. So I think it is a neat thing that you guys made the banner!
GRTS was on the banner once. Does that happen without the games knowing?
I was never notified, even when I made a news blast when they did a year in review http://www.moddb.com/games/gundam-rts/f ... rter-four1 Which they then redacted to remove my project. When I asked why I was not told and they just re-added me. Mod/indie .. db works in funny ways

Return to “Zero-K”