autoskirmish - Page 2

autoskirmish

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

knorke

Re: autoskirmish

Post by knorke »

I don't know btw what you are talking about with percent numbers, its either high priority or low priority or standard priority
yea i meant low/standard/high toggle. think i wrote numbers thinking of the retreat/repair thing which uses health percent.
You are afraid that your opponents attention is not on his rocko's?
No, not afraid. But it feels more like directly playing vs another player which is more fun. With too much automagic it is like playing chess vs somebody who checks every move with a computer. He might only use the computer to check for really obvious or dumb mistakes but still would be a bit lame...
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

More like, chess where you don't need to spam clicks to make your units useful. Which is actually how chess is 8).
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Here's the big reason I like the autoskirm thing:

The skirmishers are an essential part of ZK's balance. There are raiders, antiswarms, skirms, assaults, and artillery. Obviously these aren't perfect categories - there are units that go further or shallower in specialization, or cross categories, or have special effects that twist their role. But those roles are all critical.

And it's important that all of those roles have vaguely similar micro-needs, otherwise a whole category becomes unviable depending on the availability of the player to micro. If skirms demand micro to function intelligently, that throws the balance off - they become more powerful in a small game than they do in a large one. If you tell raiders to go somewhere, they'll do it reasonably intelligently. If you tell assaults to go somewhere, they do a damned good job. If you tell artillery to go somewhere, they'll do what they're supposed to do - micro on arty is basically picking targets, since it can't move fast enough to do anything useful if the crap hits the fan. But skirms are the exception. Skirms *demand* micro to do intelligent things. So autoskirm seems necessary to keep skirms from being:

a) overpowered in the early-mid game or
b) useless in the late game except for a small tactical squad of skirmishers.

ZK *does* have micro-intensive units and low-micro units, but they cross all categories.

Return to “Zero-K”