CA has been nominated for the Digital Man competition?

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

SerjnDestroy

Post by SerjnDestroy »

Hmm, I saw that CA was nominated for the Digital Man Competition

Pretty odd format to run it though, and the prize seems to be the honor of being distributed through their upcomming content delivery system (Steam-like thing) which isn't even mentioned on the blog 0.o

A bit of web-research gave me this website though (WorldKi), pretty sure its that because the blogs linked there link to the competition..

What do you guys think? Does it make sense for CA to be distributed outside of SpringDownloader? Heck, do the licenses allow for that?

I guess more exposure can't be a bad thing, no matter how small...
Kenku

Re: CA has been nominated for the Digital Man competition?

Post by Kenku »

This seems kinda odd, partially being that SD is basically is where CA is going. I wonder in some ways who did the nominations in the first place.

Still publicity is always a good thing.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Also, is CA-1Fac even OTA-free yet?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Kernel Panic amongst nominees?

Not that mind, after all I don't see how harm could come out of this, but I wonder how did it happen.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Well thanks for the nomination whoever it is but it's a bit of a mess.

CA is listed as a mod and the video is years old. It uses OTA music and a few OTA models that have not yet been repalced at the time of the video.

The way that makes sense for CA distribution is an SD installer which either comes with spring or downloads spring.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

The KP video was the best. Although 0ad's vegetation is nice.
knorke

Post by knorke »

of course its cool that more people will probally check out spring, watch the youtube video etc.

but the price is useless imo.
i do not think it makes sense, springdownloader is looking better and better so no need for another client thing. I doubt they would include support for ca's pool system etc anyway and how would their client work together with ca's serverthing or what it is..
so you would download their client, which downloads springdownloader which updates ca?
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Stiff competition, its nice to get recognition but a competition and project like WorldKi thrives on buzz. Its a distribution and marketing model, if it doesnt have buzz, whats the point?

Good luck monetizing content from open source games, too. Dont expect much from this but good luck to him if he can get a PR machine running for Indie/Open source games, lord knows they need it.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

They including we, of course.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

S44, wtf mate. 8)
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Neddie wrote:They including we, of course.
More than most actually. >_<

Did you hear the humble indie bundle made $880,000 in the few weeks it was available?

Jesus what we could do with that kind of money...
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

No matter how much we enjoy flattering ourselves, Spring is nowhere near the level of quality and recognition of the games in the humble indie bundle.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

zwzsg wrote:No matter how much we enjoy flattering ourselves, Spring is nowhere near the level of quality and recognition of the games in the humble indie bundle.
Spring's games are better RTSs than any of the games in the bundle.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

There was no RTS in the bundle.

And Spring may have more potential, it may be more moddable and a more powerful engine, but, as this forum keeps repeating, it lacks in polish, in single player, in delivering an enjoyable experience. Then I only played Aquaria out of the bundle and maybe the others aren't as good.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Google_Frog wrote:
zwzsg wrote:No matter how much we enjoy flattering ourselves, Spring is nowhere near the level of quality and recognition of the games in the humble indie bundle.
Spring's games are better RTSs than any of the games in the bundle.
zwzsg wrote:There was no RTS in the bundle.
Oh wait I think it was a joke.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

counter strike never had single player, but it was so popular it became commercial. you really don't need a single player, it would be a nice addition, but I think the main issue is as some one put it is "the SDK" feel of the whole package.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Single player is a key pillar of this genre, however. Tremendously expensive, but the vast majority of players never make it to multiplayer anyway.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

bobthedinosaur wrote:counter strike never had single player, but it was so popular it became commercial. you really don't need a single player, it would be a nice addition, but I think the main issue is as some one put it is "the SDK" feel of the whole package.
Counterstrike was also easy to get into and pick up. Rounds were short. And it was a different time back then, when there wasn't a glut of online games to play.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

HoN, LOL and DoTA are purely online experiences, and are relatively close to an RTS in many important respects (lack of drop-in-drop out, progressive development over the course of the game, control scheme etc). And again, we dont need to bring up Starcraft (it has singleplayer, but thats not why its still played to the level it is). These are games played on a professional level (for monies).

There is enough of a demographic here, enough of a market. Granted its not as large as the singleplayer demographic but its large.

I purchased the humble indie bundle (I sent all the money to charity, which is a weird kind of spite), and let me tell you, they are mostly very primitive but cute and sometimes conceptually clever puzzlers and platformers, little above flash games. If all you're saying they have over us is polish and publicity (Whats 'recognition'? Like thats something to recommend) then you're damn right, because what the spring community has built is amazing.

Good luck to them but we and dozens of other people out there are toiling in total and complete obscurity in comparison. Perhaps its wrong to talk this way about the indies who have 'made it', when big companies earn thousands of times as much pushing absolute garbage onto mindless teenagers but its a bit of a shame that people think that battle for wesnoth is as complicated as open source gaming gets.

Hey im not bitter. :(
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Indeed, let's not forget that we hear only from the succesfull projects. We never heard (or quickly forgot about) the hundred failed DOTA-clones, we never hear about the thousand great indie game that failed to meet their public. "Survivor Bias", etc...
If all you're saying they have over us is polish and publicity
Yes. The engine is starting to have too much features, in fact I'd rather get it frozen. So that mappers and modders get time to catch up. Then we need quality mods to emerge, and get finished.

And hurry up, because gamers' expectations are rising every year. The wow of today is the meh of tomorrow.
Whats 'recognition'?
Recognition would be to get large news website, bloggs, print magazines, steam, etc... talk about Spring, writing article praising Spring, many times, from many different places, so that whenever a gamer hears Spring, he "recognizes" it, that is, it knows what it is from having already heard of it.

Return to “Zero-K”