where did all the pros go? - Page 2

where did all the pros go?

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: where the hell did all the pros go anyway

Post by CarRepairer »

SirMaverick wrote:Don't. Not everyone is using adv playerlist.
All the more reason to finish this chili player list. Let's discuss on lobby.
scifi

Post by scifi »

tbh the reason most pro players left was the confusion of severall 2000 versions ca had

it wasnt boost it wasnt unbalanced units

was just pure confusion that draw them away

i recall me and maackey having a game to test out what were the diferences between version 2340 and 4560 if i recall

the only dif was boost and fusion being able to be built by comander

the rest in terms of unit stats are pratacly the same

so the question remains why????
1-messy dev comits, to many comits were made and at some point SD failed to provide a fast dl for everyone
NOTE: SD NOW OWNS AND ITS FAST!!!!!
1.1 stables were created yes they were great but it was at a time where CA had becomed bashed by all spring comunity

1.2why the bash, people that arent used to boost they boost unecessary stuff, like huge defs hlts at base, e.t.c..............
i saw mutch noobs spaming annihilators at their home base on comet........................................
so boost was in a part responsible
NOTE: i love boost but it is when people know how to use it=D

2-CA balance and eco made mandatory that each player was good at their own front, this results in games that require, at least pro players to balance things out, elo fucked up the balance as hell as smurfing was almost present in all matches. NOTE: elo is better now but at the time it made balancing imposible imo

3-fewer pros worse matches- worse matches less good players -less good players more fail matches.................e.t.c............

Good things personaly i love the new eco

advantages
every player doesnt require to be good at his front, another player can strecth out to defend a noob,
reasons why :
1-half boost
2-overdrives not being able to spam just energy to overdrive makes it a bit more slow to eco
(but tbh i find that CA is more easier to eco now thatn before)

Anyways these are the diagnostics that i think are the response for your question lucky

And no interface makes a player leave a game, Supcom the first game the interface was horrible, that didnt made people stop playing it...............................
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Scifi I don't understand a large portion of your post
2-CA balance and eco made mandatory that each player was good at their own front, this results in games that require, at least pro players to balance things out, elo fucked up the balance as hell as smurfing was almost present in all matches. NOTE: elo is better now but at the time it made balancing imposible imo
Here do you say that communism requires the game to be balanced well? I suppose balance would be easier if good players could expand past everyone else to get a large majority of the metal. Noobs wouldn't like it though and would rage or not get better.
Edible

Post by Edible »

I still play a bit, had a break due to overwhelming uni work.

The main thing that irritates me is the difficulty in getting a game, when you have like 5 pros speccing and trying to convince 2-3 noobs to stay long enough for them to unspec.

However there are lots of new faces in the top50 which I guess is kinda good.
scifi

Post by scifi »

google i was trying to say the causes of why CA pro players left

ill try simplifing

1- unbalance and unit stats and game interface wasnt the cause

2-the cause was the reasons i said on the other post
being one of them confusion of comits that unbalanced and balanced units from one day to the other.

then i talked about stables apearing to late............

then about boost that in the hands of new players can be a disaster

then the unbalance of elo that ocurred

google i wasnt talking about comunism, was talking about CA in general
a 4v4 with 4 pros v 2 pros and 2 new players resulted in 2 people raging the two newbs stop playing ca and the other 4 pros saying wtf learn to play.............

And i was comparing the last eco to the new eco
the new eco gave more flexibility to good players balancing the game,
half boost made the game more slower giving even more flexibility to the match,

this flexibility gives people the time to learn and try new tactics, its slower overall

witch is good!!!!

the ideas of a fast gameplay of ploping dif facs is good at one extent, if the players are good enough to cope with it

e.t.c......
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Uni. For me.
scifi

Post by scifi »

just a thing here

these 4 or 5 people lucky mentioned werent the only good players CA had

i was also talking about people that left since versions 2340

and that play BA
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Dave and 1uP left primarily due to personality conflicts and increased responsibilities. I lost interest between the reduced number of players I wished to work with, the rise of FFA games, and the introduction of increasingly annoying UI changes. I believe CAT was negatively impacted by some internal conflict involving Regret. I was unable to convince the accessible members of WarC to give CA a serious shake due primarily to changing balance and a lack of opponents.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

the constant updates put most people off, it was pretty stupid. players want a stable 1.0 version they can learn, not constant change. if there is anything BA DSD should tell you guys its that PEOPLE HATE CHANGE
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

I wasn't asking about why people in general didn't play ca more often, I was talking about the regular players.

Neddie wrote:Dave and 1uP left primarily due to personality conflicts and increased responsibilities. I lost interest between the reduced number of players I wished to work with, the rise of FFA games, and the introduction of increasingly annoying UI changes. I believe CAT was negatively impacted by some internal conflict involving Regret. I was unable to convince the accessible members of WarC to give CA a serious shake due primarily to changing balance and a lack of opponents.
Ah thanks Neddie, that should have covered most everyone I missed in my initial post.

Although I have seen Dave around a bit again \o/
Gota

Post by Gota »

I was expecting a lot to come out of CA,mainly because of tons of devs,if not a game i fully enjoyed than at least tons of stuff to improve the life of actual competitive players...
This did not happen not even to the slightest degree for whatever reasons.
Want competitive players?than make changes that are meant to improve their experience not whatever else guys were doing with CA.

There are still no constant key shortcuts...every rts game that respects itself has those.
Than there was total UI clutter...Competitive players are not your linux users dying to spend hours customizing their ui so the distance between icons is 2 pixels and not 1...you need a steady ui that works while your working on an improved version.
There are other examples i cant remember ATM.

I tryed CA yesterday...specced a game and there are still major game breaking issues even though the ui seems way betetr now and I like a lot how Chili is turning out.
The widget that draws the selection contours around units...it kills my fps completely after selecting just several units...How can such a widget be turned on by default(ignore this if youv never heard anyone mention this issue before)?

anyway god luck with future versions and dont alienate yourselves from the rest of the community...come play other mods...
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Yeah, the SelectionHalo widgets completely trash my Intel onboard, but I don't have that problem anymore since I got a real card. Never brought it up because the usual reaction to such complaints is "lol, you use an Intel onboard".
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

SelectionHalo was disabled by default over 8 weeks ago.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Hmm... what? CA has died?
Too lazy to read all these...
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

SirArtturi wrote:Hmm... what? CA has died?
Too lazy to read all these...
http://quotes.springlobby.info/?397
Gota

Re: where did all the pros go?

Post by Gota »

Pxtl I have an ATI 4850...
knorke

Post by knorke »

CarRepairer wrote:SelectionHalo was disabled by default over 8 weeks ago.
germans still get called nazis :shock:

but i am using springdownloader as main lobby now.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

CA has constant shortcuts - press B or hold right mouse to see.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

There were a few reasons I stopped playing (specifically CA but also Spring generally):

1. By far the main one was the lack of player base. I don't have the patience to sit in the lobby for up to an hour waiting to get a game - you need that critical mass, which BA obviously has.

2. The crappy Spring Lobby client, which seemed a step backwards to me over TASClient.

3. CA user interface did start to go seriously downhill. I would prfer to see gradual improvements in the existing UI rather than a whole new UI from scratch.

From the other comments in this thread, I will give it another go, and try the lobby built into SpringDownloader...
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

I stopped joining CA games while ago since the whole UI was so messed up that I couldn't play. I was also ignored and being rude by some people.

Now the mod has whole new UI but still has some problems if one wants to use the old spring UI. I think CA has really cool things, like this new outlook of GUI etc. Some of the models and artistic style I dont like though...

Gameplay is just still a big question for me. whether to like or not to like. Also, the small playerbase is highly skilled while I as a explorer of the mods' gameplay and fancy things feel like a total newbie and pain in the ass - just like in XTA. I come there to play and enjoy cool things but get insulted because I play bad... What do you expect?

It's sad to hear if the CA is dead before its even done - complete :D
Feels like devs have been doing fruitless job and should have, maybe rather used their great effort to improve BA for example (sorry about this naive comment.)

Return to “Zero-K”