Mobile shield/jammers getting axed from facs?

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Mobile shield/jammer/radar is becoming a built-only, and will not exist in factories, and will be accessible by morph only? Is this going to happen? It was mentioned in the Suggestions thread and surprised me.

If these "mobile buildings" are going to be a trend (I can't think of other examples, but I'm sure they will happen - spy maybe? Flakker?), then I'd like a simple little "utility factory". Price it cheap (as in, price it like a con unit, not a factory) and give it the mobile-versions of all these units, just as a convenience measure so we can get factory-style semantics for the mobiles.
Google_Frog

Re: Mobile shield/jammers getting axed from facs?

Post by Google_Frog »

I thought that they were morph only for a while now. Shields, cloakers and radars are support units with such a wide variety of functions that it's a bit boring making them only available to 1 factory start. As they are support units you often only want 1 so build-then-morph does not get annoying.

I don't think there will be any building/combat unit morphs. Well there's the current Blastwing -> Mine but that's more an effort to make Blastwing buildable.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

heheh, watched Det play? I think his end-game squad usually involves at least a half-dozen shield-walkers for each Sumo.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Those units are strill available in their own labs (mobile shield in t2 kbots), but also as morph from structure.
lurker

Post by lurker »

That contradicts the previous posts. :?
Blackdutchie

Post by Blackdutchie »

contradiction means nothing!
it is silly.

i like morphable buildings/units/unitbuildings
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Yes, google is mistaken, they still exist in their factories.

Honestly, if the mobile and static versions are identical (and they almost are) why not just make the mobile buildable by cons?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Convenience.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Saktoth wrote:Yes, google is mistaken, they still exist in their factories.

Honestly, if the mobile and static versions are identical (and they almost are) why not just make the mobile buildable by cons?
Because units building units is messy. I still dislike specops for that reason, and we removed "combat engineers" for that reason too.

Edit: I agree that it sucks having to build a shield then morph it. Perhaps we should try to find a solution.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Yeah. Obviously it would be too much of a pain to make 2 new facs, but it'd be nicer if the specops could morph into a lab for a buildpower and convenience boost. Likewise, a cheap 100 metal lab for the mobiles-built-by-cons stuff (decomm, specops, the morphable buildings) would be cool, rather than forcing the player to choose between the tedious micro of morphing and whatnot. But of course, not really worth the effort of modeling a fac for.

Return to “Zero-K”