Complete Annihilation News - Page 5

Complete Annihilation News

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

this is the most proffesional and impressive thing to come out of spring, which naturally means nobody will play it
rcdraco

Yea

Post by rcdraco »

This sounds dumb, but is it possible to make terraformed roads to improve unit travel speed over it? For example on maps like Small Supreme Battlefield where you want your units to move to the front lines as fast as possible.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Regarding transport - Quant got it a bit wrong :)

It does two things:

- transports automatically pick units from factory and bring them to factory waypoint (they follow factory orders until nearest non-move command) - you can turn this off by F11 -> transport AI

- added separate commands embark and disembark:

embark = wait for transport to pick me up
disembark = disembark from transport

Possible uses:

1) give kbot factory waypoints through safe area next to your current battlefield

result: units will walk along these waypoints and if there are idle transports they will pick up units and transport them to destrination

2) give factory waypoint to ally base entrance followed by patrol

result: units will walk they and if transport nearby it will pick unit up, land it and unit will start patrolling

3) give factory move near base, embark and then move to impassable mountain

result: units will emerge from factory and enter "embark" mode - they will stand there and wait for transport to get them to mountain

4) select crawling bombs, click to move to enemy base and click "embark"

result: bombs will stop and wait for transports, transports will carry them to enemy base

5) select razorbacks, give them move commands across air safe areas, folowed by disembark from behind the base spot and move to enemy base. Then click embark.

Result: razorbacks will stop and wait for transports. Transport will cary them along the waypoints to back of enemy base, unload them. From there razorbacks will continue on foot.

(In all of these cases transports return to the spot where they took unit using the same path)

For all of this to work, you need to have old transport assist widget disabled/removed..
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Note2: transports might skip some units because it finds it useless to transport them

It takes several things into account - distance of transport from unit, planned unit path, unit speed, transport speed, transport land times, terrain height differences - it takes all of this to estimate "benefit" of transporting given unit with air transport

Benefit = number of seconds saved by using transporter.
It only transports units if benefit is higher than 5 seconds and in order of benefit (=slowest units will be transported first, fast units might be ignored completely).

Exception to it is "embark" command which serves as "priority" transport - units waiting with embark command will be served first.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Probably the main reason I don't use these transport widgets is I usually have cons in my queues, and I don't want them auto transporting con units.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Ah yeah me too.. it doesnt transport constructors :)

Unless given specific embark command..
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Is it a widget or a gadget?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Combination of both. Automatic transports work completely from widget, but if you want embark and disembark commands you need the gadget too, because there is no easy way to add buttons in widget..
Engine Of Darkness

Post by Engine Of Darkness »

Did you guys wrote any changelog for the latest updates? because I got noone when I updated :(
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Engine Of Darkness wrote:Did you guys wrote any changelog for the latest updates? because I got noone when I updated :(
It seems your updater needs an update 8)
http://www.unknown-files.net/spring/373 ... dater_102/
KaZoiTeZ

Post by KaZoiTeZ »

the first bad thing i know have to say is that i liked the "old" guardian of arm more...
does arm now got any plasma cannon as defence?
Engine Of Darkness

Post by Engine Of Darkness »

very_bad_soldier wrote:
Engine Of Darkness wrote:Did you guys wrote any changelog for the latest updates? because I got noone when I updated :(
It seems your updater needs an update 8)
http://www.unknown-files.net/spring/373 ... dater_102/
Ahh works again. What about updating the Updater by using the Updater? :roll: ("sentene of the month" award please)
quantum

Post by quantum »

KaZoiTeZ wrote:the first bad thing i know have to say is that i liked the "old" guardian of arm more...
No. On the bright side, the Guardian's rockets aren't affected by shields.
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

check ur janus model the right track cover is missing its side panel...
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

quantum wrote:
KaZoiTeZ wrote:the first bad thing i know have to say is that i liked the "old" guardian of arm more...
No. On the bright side, the Guardian's rockets aren't affected by shields.
Guardians have rockets??? What do you guys do, suck on a peyote cactus and do whatever comes to mind? :P
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Arced rockets are used by many mods simply because they can hit fast while flying at a high arc.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

KaZoiTeZ: The Guardian is not and has never been a defensive emplacement. It is artillery, static artillery, and should only be used as static artillery. The only time it is 'defence' is when you are defending against bombardment- IE it can stop artillery from hitting your HLT's, as it outranges them.

However, against a frontal assault by the enemy the guardian is virtually useless. Its DPS is 80- thats about half the DPS of an LLT. For 20 times the price. I want you to sit for a moment and absorb those numbers before you try and use a Guardian in defence again. Sure its good on high trajectory due to mad impulse, but it cant hit the enemy if he is moving.
j5mello wrote:check ur janus model the right track cover is missing its side panel...
This is a consequence of Upspring being screwy and assigning the wrong piece as the groundplate. There are a bunch of other models with the same problem.

Ive tried fixing this with 3do builder (which can assign groundplates) but then that destroys the files ability to be edited again (It crashes upspring).

So uh. Yeah. If anyone knows how to fix this...
Guardians have rockets??? What do you guys do, suck on a peyote cactus and do whatever comes to mind?
Yeah prettymuch. CA sort of has a policy of replacing duplicate units with units that are slightly different. Its pretty pointless having two factions that are almost identical. Personally though, i think it sort of defeats the purpose of Core having t1 shields.
[Krogoth86]

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Saktoth wrote:Ive tried fixing this with 3do builder (which can assign groundplates) but then that destroys the files ability to be edited again (It crashes upspring).

So uh. Yeah. If anyone knows how to fix this...
I don't know how to fix the Upspring crash but I think I know what causes them. Let's say you have your finished model without ground plate and you now add some empty objects to define where all the stuff shall be shooting from via Upspring. Then go in 3dobuilder and make a ground-plate and save. Then Upspring will crash on the 3do file. It's because of the empty objects. If you do them in Upsring and then resave the model in 3dobuilder something is screwed up (at least I always get a crash then). So finish the whole model with everything and add empty objects in Upspring as the last thing. If you now have done this and want to change something just delete the empty objects in Upspring and everything should be fine...

At least that's my experience and it works that way... :-)

EDIT:
Concerning Guardians:
In my opinion they somehow also had the role of a coastal battery which is artillery only vs. ground as Saktoth said but it's the only Lvl1 turret with enough range to really deal with ships. With High-Trajectory only this might be a disadvantage now...
RavingManiac

Post by RavingManiac »

NOTA has specialized coastal defense artillery.
Skid

Post by Skid »

Well, I've got a problem. I started CA update, told it where spring.exe was, then it said "error checking CA version" in the little bar at the bottom and is telling me that the current version and the version I have of CA are both zero. Clicking "update now" tells me I have current version and causes a crash to desktop about half the times.

I'm running the latest Updater and Windows XP with the .Net framework 2.0.

Return to “Zero-K”