[game][Evolution RTS] New Resource Bar?

Happenin' news on what is happening in the community. Content releases, new tutorials, other cool stuff.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

The issue: The old resource bar displays too much information in a very small space. This causes confusion and frustration in players as they are trying to simply understand basics, like building and giving orders. This is my method for fixing the problem.

Read More...
gajop

Re: [game][Evolution RTS] New Resource Bar?

Post by gajop »

I'd suggest including a screenshot of the new one so we can compare them
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

gajop wrote:I'd suggest including a screenshot of the new one so we can compare them
Click on 'read more'
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

The screenshot shown, is the new one.

That you asked for that is a testament to how well the new one does it's job without alienating users who are used to the TA/*A way of displaying resource bars.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Sorry, I misread things when I opened the page.

I was going to comment on the poor contrast of the metal bar, but this might not be its default state (?)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Each section has warning states. This elicits that part of the bar flashing, causes a voice prompt (You are excessing metal!, No more available supply!, You must construct additional generators! ;p), a chat message (spring echo), and depending on what warning you are in, will cause items on the buildmenu to have flashing borders in order to tell you what you need to build.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

eh I always find it weird when supply isn't just a number like Starcraft "Supply 5/10" should suffice, and it should come last
sprunk

Post by sprunk »

That you asked for that is a testament to how well the new one does it's job without alienating users who are used to the TA/*A way of displaying resource bars.
I think it's rather a testament to how it's actually the same as the old one except without income/pull.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

sprunk wrote:
I think it's rather a testament to how it's actually the same as the old one except without income/pull.
It is reasonably quite similar yes, but there is also color coding on the net as well as the color coding all over it. I suppose the question then becomes, why hasn't anyone thought to do this before?
sprunk

Post by sprunk »

why hasn't anyone thought to do this before?
SupCom 1 did, as did CA.

See http://draginol.stardock.net/images2015 ... mage_3.png
and http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315 ... h/zkt1.png

The net value is colour coded and it is much larger and prominent compared to income/pull (the CA screenie is a bit unfortunate at showing this due to 0 but I couldn't find a better one). Income and pull are not outright removed because they are still useful (to know what your economy can afford, or for spectating), instead they are stacked vertically: this both achieves making them take up less space and makes them easier to compare.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well, I was meaning specifically within spring, but ca answers that well enough :-)

Return to “Community Blog”